Closing out the season (2018/19)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you rather see the Canucks Make or Miss the Playoffs this year?

MAKE - the kids will benefit
66%
MISS - what a waste
34%

Total votes: 29

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Closing out the season (2018/19)

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:05 pm I think Andre Burakovsky is a decent choice for right now. His career has waggled a tad but he's still young and is on a very good team.
His contract is up and me thinks the Caps may have other things in mind.
No, it's not splashy but for now, it's a realistic replacement for Horvat to play with since it really sounds iffy for Bartschi.
Burakovsky gets a $3.25M qualifying offer this summer or he walks as a UFA.

Are you trying to give Blob a heart attack! 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Mëds wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:44 pm Our 2019 first round draft pick could end up being another Jake Virtanen, Cody Hodgson, Hunter Shinkaruk, Brendan Gaunce, Jared McCann, Jordan Schroeder, Patrick White, Kirill Koltsov, Brad Ference, Nathan Smith, just as easily (more likely actually) as it's another Brock Boeser, Elias Pettersson, Bo Horvat, or Ryan Kesler.
Schneider was on target, too. Would have looked fine earlier in his career as a #1 without Strombone.

Koltsov was the Canucks first selection, but taken in the second round. Could have been a very good pick. But the year that he would have been ready for a call up, the NHL was locked out. So he went back to Russia. And got comfortable there. And became a top pairing guy, one of the KHL's best defensemen. Wasn't the player that was the problem, but the timing and the Canucks inability to hold onto Russians after having been an early adopter.... Bourdon, of course, we will never know.

When you look back at the Canuck drafts, since the 2000s started, they haven't had any luck with defensemen outside of Edler and Bieksa. Maybe we can count Hutton, as any 5th rounder making it gravy. But then who? Connauton? Is he the 4th best defenseman drafted by the Vancouver Canucks since 2000? The guy is no better than a #7. Forsling likely will have the same future (though would probably get a look if he were in Vancouver).

Okay, I've derailed. I want them to make the playoffs. I think getting scrubbed in the playoffs is far better than not making the playoffs. But I am not optimistic. Too many injuries, not enough gas left in the tank of those not injured, and an anemic power play and mediocre PK meaning that they can't escape lack of depth.

And really, what's the upside of missing the playoffs? Lottery win, great! But outside of that, I think that there is more difference (usually) between the 2d overall and the 6th overall than between the 6th overall and the 20th overall. [i.e., if you don't turn out so bad as to select in the top 5, good luck]. Of course the cutoff line depends on the draft, but the point is that the list of sure things is very very short and there are always a few impact players to be found in the middle of the first round and after. Finding them is tough part; at least this crew might.
Hono_rary Canadian
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:49 pm
micky107 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:05 pm I think Andre Burakovsky is a decent choice for right now. His career has waggled a tad but he's still young and is on a very good team.
His contract is up and me thinks the Caps may have other things in mind.
No, it's not splashy but for now, it's a realistic replacement for Horvat to play with since it really sounds iffy for Bartschi.
Burakovsky gets a $3.25M qualifying offer this summer or he walks as a UFA.

Are you trying to give Blob a heart attack! 8-)
Burakovsky
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:42 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:54 pm Not sure you why you threw Jake in the shitty pile but didn’t even mention Olaf. He could be a far worse blunder than Virtanen

I like Stone but his team needs assets. Wait till July 1.

No more spending 2-4 million on five different flavours of slugs. This team needs impact talent.

One of EK, Stone or Duchene
Pass on Duchene, he’ll be over paid and I was unimpressed with his Uber video, potential to be a cancer.
This post is a cancer
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:44 pm
The point would be to land him BEFORE we have to get into a bidding war in July. Like I said, not a rental. The point of getting him is not just to make the playoffs this season.
I guess I don't see why he would re-up here after being traded mid-season. Maybe the 8th year means that much? All indications are he's interested in returning to Winnipeg.

Ottawa doesn't have a 1st rounder in their first official "rebuild" year.....not good. Our 1st will be anywhere from 5th to 20th depending upon how we finish the season and do in any potential playoff series. You'll notice I didn't limit the return to just this year's 1st and Tanev.....and speaking of Tanev, he a current PART OF our "already-sketchy back-end". His lack of usefulness on the other side of the red-line is part of our overall problem and a contributing factor in our inability to generate offense at times.
They'll be getting a first back from whomever acquires these guys. While our first might be more intriguing than Nashville's or Winnipeg's, rumours have them offering some high-end prospects (Tolvanen, Niku). I don't want us getting into a bidding war for a likely rental, especially as we're currently looking at a top-10 pick.
Also, host the draft without a 1st rounder? Does not make for good draft viewing parties.
Spoken like a true fan who just wants to be entertained. The focus shouldn't be on draft viewing parties, it should be post-game parties and win celebrations. blah blah blah

But yeah, it's better to dismiss getting a known star player and hang on to the dice and pray they come up snake eyes rather than piss off a few retarded draft fanboys who prefer the thrill of a maybe.
:lol: and you don't blow your brains out at the deadline as a bottom-10 team to rent a star player and pray that he wants to hang around longer than 60 days. You also don't host the draft to not draft hockey players.

Trading our first and multiple assets (which could be used in other deals to, you know, give the fans some excitement at the draft) only to see him walk July 1 would set us back a year or more.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 pm
The point would be to land him BEFORE we have to get into a bidding war in July. Like I said, not a rental. The point of getting him is not just to make the playoffs this season.
I guess I don't see why he would re-up here after being traded mid-season. Maybe the 8th year means that much? All indications are he's interested in returning to Winnipeg.

Ottawa doesn't have a 1st rounder in their first official "rebuild" year.....not good. Our 1st will be anywhere from 5th to 20th depending upon how we finish the season and do in any potential playoff series. You'll notice I didn't limit the return to just this year's 1st and Tanev.....and speaking of Tanev, he a current PART OF our "already-sketchy back-end". His lack of usefulness on the other side of the red-line is part of our overall problem and a contributing factor in our inability to generate offense at times.
They'll be getting a first back from whomever acquires these guys. While our first might be more intriguing than Nashville's or Winnipeg's, rumours have them offering some high-end prospects (Tolvanen, Niku). I don't want us getting into a bidding war for a likely rental, especially as we're currently looking at a top-10 pick.
Also, host the draft without a 1st rounder? Does not make for good draft viewing parties.
Spoken like a true fan who just wants to be entertained. The focus shouldn't be on draft viewing parties, it should be post-game parties and win celebrations. blah blah blah

But yeah, it's better to dismiss getting a known star player and hang on to the dice and pray they come up snake eyes rather than piss off a few retarded draft fanboys who prefer the thrill of a maybe.
:lol: and you don't blow your brains out at the deadline as a bottom-10 team to rent a star player and pray that he wants to hang around longer than 60 days. You also don't host the draft to not draft hockey players.

Trading our first and multiple assets (which could be used in other deals to, you know, give the fans some excitement at the draft) only to see him walk July 1 would set us back a year or more.
So much common sense. Overpay cash for Stone in the summer instead of giving up assets.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 pm
I've heard the same about Winnipeg, but they would be blowing their own brains out to get him because they would have to give up Laine who is just a few years younger. The Jets can't add a $9M winger right now.

They also have 2 of their top-3 defensemen hitting UFA in July. If they add Stone he is coming home as a rental, or at the cost of their blueline and one of Laine or Connor.
You don't make the trade unless he's NOT a rental. You have an agreement worked out ahead of time.....hence conditional picks.

See Above (twice) about rental.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:51 am
You don't make the trade unless he's NOT a rental. You have an agreement worked out ahead of time.....hence conditional picks.
If we are allowed to negotiate an extension before pulling the trigger on a deal, the prices goes up exponentially. If we're adding conditional picks, again, it takes away from our future talent pool (which is still not deep enough). Even with Stone, we might not be a playoff team this spring, and (if we get in) he probably doesn't get us out of Round 1. I don't the need to deal 4-6 assets for him, when we can have him for nothing but Francisco's cash in a couple months.

This sums it up nicely...
Carlyee wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:27 pm Overpay cash for Stone in the summer instead of giving up assets.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:34 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:51 am
If we are allowed to negotiate an extension before pulling the trigger on a deal, the prices goes up exponentially. If we're adding conditional picks, again, it takes away from our future talent pool (which is still not deep enough). Even with Stone, we might not be a playoff team this spring, and (if we get in) he probably doesn't get us out of Round 1. I don't the need to deal 4-6 assets for him, when we can have him for nothing but Francisco's cash in a couple months.

This sums it up nicely...
Carlyee wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:27 pm Overpay cash for Stone in the summer instead of giving up assets.
Doesn't acquiring a player at the deadline give the team the option to offer the full 8 year term?

If so, then Stone will cost upwards of $9M as a free agent, but possibly could be had for $8M on an 8 year extension.

If not, then sure, wait and see. But the free agent season is likely going to be crazy.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Stones price is being reported 10.5 M$ per
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:44 am Stones price is being reported 10.5 M$ per
Someone will give it to him, and he just might be worth it, but I wouldn't trade 4-5 pieces for the right to (maybe) pay him that much.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Wow. Giving a player like Stone that kind of dough is a gamble. $10.5 million per year for Mark Stone? I don’t know about that.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:08 pm Wow. Giving a player like Stone that kind of dough is a gamble. $10.5 million per year for Mark Stone? I don’t know about that.
Over the past 3 seasons he's 6th in PPG for RW, behind Kucherov, Kane, Raantanen, Wheeler and Kessel. Kane already makes $10.5, Wheeler $8.5. Kucherov goes to $9.5M next season. A Kucherov-type deal at a $83M cap is $9.9M. So yeah, I can see Stone getting eight figures in a bidding war.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:08 pm Wow. Giving a player like Stone that kind of dough is a gamble. $10.5 million per year for Mark Stone? I don’t know about that.
For us; Very limiting commitment. Enticing, none the less.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dangler wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:44 am Stones price is being reported 10.5 M$ per
He apparently turned down 52.5 million over five years from the Senators. No idea if they made him a seven or eight year offer. He may just want to get away from Melnyk and the gong show there.

Maybe you can entice him for 63 million over seven seasons. Not sure. I’d rather offer Karlsson 84 over 7.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”