Closing out the season (2018/19)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you rather see the Canucks Make or Miss the Playoffs this year?

MAKE - the kids will benefit
66%
MISS - what a waste
34%

Total votes: 29

Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Closing out the season (2018/19)

Post by Carlyee »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:54 pm
dangler wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:44 am Stones price is being reported 10.5 M$ per
He apparently turned down 52.5 million over five years from the Senators. No idea if they made him a seven or eight year offer. He may just want to get away from Melnyk and the gong show there.

Maybe you can entice him for 63 million over seven seasons. Not sure. I’d rather offer Karlsson 84 over 7.
Karlson has become kind of bandaid lately no? Is 7 years too long if the miles start to pile up? He won't have Burns to carry water here.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

dangler wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:44 am Stones price is being reported 10.5 M$ per
He apparently turned down 52.5 million over five years from the Senators. No idea if they made him a seven or eight year offer. He may just want to get away from Melnyk and the gong show there.

Maybe you can entice him for 63 million over seven seasons. Not sure. I’d rather offer Karlsson 84 over 7.
Yeah I’d be much more interested in trying to snag Karlsson. Not so much stone and particularly not via trade vs free agency.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carlyee wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Karlson has become kind of bandaid lately no? Is 7 years too long if the miles start to pile up? He won't have Burns to carry water here.
He didn’t have Burns carrying anything but an ugly beard when he was in Ottawa before this season. He scored 135 points over two years with a few games missed.

He’s 28 and looks to be over the ankle/Achilles issues. Sure he’s a bandaid.

I guess we could always scour the market for another Swede that’s 31, slow as a dump truck, plays when he feels like it, has curly hair and looks blazed permanently. Just give him 6 x 6 to score 20 or 30 points a year.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

One Ankle Karlsson they call him now.

I’m seeing a declining asset in Karlsson

In Stone I’m seeing a future relic Seabrook on a huge contract as the game changes on them. Stone is a bit of a throwback which would scare me if I was signing him to term

Stone is like a good version of Blobbee’s Boi Andrew Ladd
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Totally agree. Dangerous as all hell and I'd be hesitant to even get into that bidding war. Mind you; I'm not privy to the latest Aqua's financial
books on the profit / debit margin, Canucks wise. He could be the guiding shove. We've, I think, seen it before.
I doubt if any of the debate matters. Don't think EK would want to come here. Mind you, the last time I heard that was before the alien.
"evolution"
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:00 pm

He didn’t have Burns carrying anything but an ugly beard when he was in Ottawa before this season. He scored 135 points over two years with a few games missed.

I guess we could always scour the market for another Swede that’s 31, slow as a dump truck, plays when he feels like it, has curly hair and looks blazed permanently. Just give him 6 x 6 to score 20 or 30 points a year.
Out east with no travel, and 5 other NHL caliber defensemen. Here He would have Edler and Tanev, both bandaids themselves. Followed by the Guds, take him or leave him, then super rookie Quinn Hughes and more than likely one AHL caliber (in the case of Pouliot Saskatchewan sr hockey level) defenseman. Signing Karlson for the money he will want to leave Norcal is a disaster waiting to happen IMO. Also I don't like the Loui Eriksson contract so kindly refrain from insinuating that I do. :D
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 pm One Ankle Karlsson they call him now.

In Stone I’m seeing a future relic Seabrook on a huge contract as the game changes on them. Stone is a bit of a throwback which would scare me if I was signing him to term

Over a point per game the past 2 seasons with declining talent for help.

Steady production over 6 years, with increase the past 2.

Yeah, Andrew Ladd is a great comparable. :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

But you love 14.35 million annually spent on a #6 d man who is tuff , a 4th liner with curly hair good for 8 hits and 20 points and a 3rd line centre (barely) good for 11 hits and 20 points who’s dad and uncles weee good players.

Gotcha..... you want more of the same
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:20 pm

But you love 14.35 million annually spent on a #6 d man who is tuff , a 4th liner with curly hair good for 8 hits and 20 points and a 3rd line centre (barely) good for 11 hits and 20 points who’s dad and uncles weee good players.

An update on how the big UFA signings of 2016 are doing

Nielsen - 9 goals 22 assists
Okposo - 10 goals 12 assists
Eriksson - 9 goals 12 assists
Backes - 5 goals 9 assists
Lucic - 5 goals 9 assists
Brouwer - 7 goals 4 assists
Ladd - 3 goals 4 assists
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Carlyee wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 pm

Out east with no travel, and 5 other NHL caliber defensemen. Here He would have Edler and Tanev, both bandaids themselves. Followed by the Guds, take him or leave him, then super rookie Quinn Hughes and more than likely one AHL caliber (in the case of Pouliot Saskatchewan sr hockey level) defenseman. Signing Karlson for the money he will want to leave Norcal is a disaster waiting to happen IMO.
2015-16: Karlsson was the only Sens D man to play all 82 games. Wideman, Wiercioch, Borowiecki, Cowan, Methot, all played fewer than 70 games, all but Methot were 64 or fewer. Karlson was clocking 29 minutes a night.

2016-17: Yup, they had the guys. But Karlsson was still clocking over 26 minutes per game even with all of that NHL help.

2017-18: Karlsson and Ceci were the only ones to play more than 64 games. Chabot had 63, everyone else was 53 or fewer. Same 26 min TOI for EK.

Your travel argument is valid, but that's the case for ANY player that comes to Vancouver, regardless of whether we draft, sign, or trade for them.

I suspect that if we sign a RH dman who is legit top pairing, then Tanev will be on the move, and his replacement will hopefully be less of a band-aid.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carlyee wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 pm

Out east with no travel, and 5 other NHL caliber defensemen. Here He would have Edler and Tanev, both bandaids themselves. Followed by the Guds, take him or leave him, then super rookie Quinn Hughes and more than likely one AHL caliber (in the case of Pouliot Saskatchewan sr hockey level) defenseman. Signing Karlson for the money he will want to leave Norcal is a disaster waiting to happen IMO. Also I don't like the Loui Eriksson contract so kindly refrain from insinuating that I do. :D
Yeah, Ottawa never had a stacked squad when he was there let alone 5 other quality NHL d men. You forgot to mention the current top pairing that would slot in behind Karlsson, Edler and Tanev.

Gudbranson and Pouliott should be shot out of a cannon. With the additions of Hughes and Karlsson they’d be no better than 7 and 8 on this team.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Ladd - 3 goals 4 assists
No relevance to my post whatsoever
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Ladd - 3 goals 4 assists
There is. Always is
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Mëds wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:31 pm I suspect that if we sign a RH dman who is legit top pairing, then Tanev will be on the move, and his replacement will hopefully be less of a band-aid.
Really? Why the fuck would you move Tanev instead of Gudbranson?
Thats like giving Edler a 5 year contract when he's only asking for 4!!
Did you bang your head washing ambulances?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:33 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Ladd - 3 goals 4 assists
There is. Always is
There really isn’t