Closing out the season (2018/19)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you rather see the Canucks Make or Miss the Playoffs this year?

MAKE - the kids will benefit
66%
MISS - what a waste
34%

Total votes: 29

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Closing out the season (2018/19)

Post by Meds »

dangler wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:36 pm
Mëds wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:31 pm I suspect that if we sign a RH dman who is legit top pairing, then Tanev will be on the move, and his replacement will hopefully be less of a band-aid.
Really? Why the fuck would you move Tanev instead of Gudbranson?
Thats like giving Edler a 5 year contract when he's only asking for 4!!
Did you bang your head washing ambulances?
Because Tanev is probably easier to move, and he's made of glass these days.....he also is likely to fetch the highest return between him and Guds.

I haven't seen anything concrete saying that Edler is asking for 4 years, just random gossip here, so maybe he's asking for 5? Maybe 5 gets him at a lower cap hit, especially if it's structured to pay him out big in the first 3 years giving him the option to walk away from the final year at 36 or 37 if he feels ready to hang 'em up.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:44 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:33 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:10 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:20 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 pm One Ankle Karlsson they call him now.

I’m seeing a declining asset in Karlsson

In Stone I’m seeing a future relic Seabrook on a huge contract as the game changes on them. Stone is a bit of a throwback which would scare me if I was signing him to term

Stone is like a good version of Blobbee’s Boi Andrew Ladd
But you love 14.35 million annually spent on a #6 d man who is tuff , a 4th liner with curly hair good for 8 hits and 20 points and a 3rd line centre (barely) good for 11 hits and 20 points who’s dad and uncles weee good players.

Gotcha..... you want more of the same
An update on how the big UFA signings of 2016 are doing

Nielsen - 9 goals 22 assists
Okposo - 10 goals 12 assists
Eriksson - 9 goals 12 assists
Backes - 5 goals 9 assists
Lucic - 5 goals 9 assists
Brouwer - 7 goals 4 assists
Ladd - 3 goals 4 assists
No relevance to my post whatsoever
There is. Always is
There really isn’t
From where I’m standing, there is. It goes waaaaaay back. Stop pretending
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Because Mr. Glass can fetch us the most.

This really highlights his value for a team looking to add a RD for the playoff run.

Consider how some of the teams that were looking to move assets are now in the hunt, Tanev might be the best available option.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Hank wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:04 pm Because Mr. Glass can fetch us the most.

This really highlights his value for a team looking to add a RD for the playoff run.

Consider how some of the teams that were looking to move assets are now in the hunt, Tanev might be the best available option.
Would be very bold to deal Tanev before you secured his successor.
If RHD is so valuable right now,wouldn't that make it the perfect time to deal Gudbranson?
Or do you want Guddy in your top 4?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dangler wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:41 pm

If RHD is so valuable right now,wouldn't that make it the perfect time to deal Gudbranson?
I think you’d pretty much have to add something like a pick just to get rid of Gudbranson. Think Kassian style trade. Or a hockey trade - taking garbage back
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Tanev is also out with an ankle injury right now, last I read there was no timeline for his return. Any team taking him at the deadline is risking more so his return is less. I doubt he gets moved before the draft, at which point there's a better idea of what's available to replace him.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:46 pm I think you’d pretty much have to add something like a pick just to get rid of Gudbranson. Think Kassian style trade. Or a hockey trade - taking garbage back
Throw Goldy in, get a prospect and a pick,
Done!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I heard Stecher is top 15 in the league, we should be able to get a top-6 winger and a 1st for him!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 am I think hockey is to hard to quantify into advanced stats. I’d assume basketball would be as well. There’s too much going on and too many variables. Baseball is a different kettle of fish all together. No idea whether advanced stats in football are a thing.
Baseball players don't get as many concussions. Or knee injuries.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Per wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:07 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 am I think hockey is to hard to quantify into advanced stats. I’d assume basketball would be as well. There’s too much going on and too many variables. Baseball is a different kettle of fish all together. No idea whether advanced stats in football are a thing.
ACL and MCL strains are common in baseball. Then there are rotator cuff injuries and UCL/other elbow injuries. Add in tendinitis to all of the above and I would pose the argument that baseball is harder on the human body than Hockey. Think about it, many injuries in hockey are from running into stuff, boards, net, other players. Baseball injuries occur from simply playing the sport.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 pm
I heard Stecher is top 15 in the league, we should be able to get a top-6 winger and a 1st for him!
Where did you hear that?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Carlyee wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:29 am
Per wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:07 am
ACL and MCL strains are common in baseball. Then there are rotator cuff injuries and UCL/other elbow injuries. Add in tendinitis to all of the above and I would pose the argument that baseball is harder on the human body than Hockey. Think about it, many injuries in hockey are from running into stuff, boards, net, other players. Baseball injuries occur from simply playing the sport.
In men's college sports there are 0.41 concussions/1000 athletes in hockey in a year. In baseball it's 0.07.

As for ACL injuries, the figure was 0.02 for baseball and 0.06 for hockey.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... objectonly

So basically ACL injuries are three times more common in hockey and concussions 6 times more common.
I think one main obstacle in predicting the future of a young player is injuries.

Since hockey players get injured more often, it should be harder to predict their career based on their prior achievements.
Just saying.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Season likely now closed.

Too many injuries have cost them just as the rest of the pretenders are starting to wake up and play.

I expect them to just miss out on the wildcard race after the typical year end "too little - too late" push. Worst of both worlds: miss playoffs and get poor draft position.

That said, it has been a fun year, I am looking forward to see what Hughes looks like at this level (n,o I do not expect a Petterson like start to his NHL career), and next year should reflect improved results.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:27 am
ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 pm
Where did you hear that?
That Canucksarmy fancy-stats guy was on the radio, he's done all the math and is quite sure, Stecher is ELITE.

I know, its surprising, right? :mrgreen:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think he’s improved for sure. Is he a legit top 4 guy? I don’t think so yet but he’s certainly in this teams top 4 without question, as it’s currently constructed. He battles hard and can move the puck quickly. He reminds me a bit of Jared Spurgeon
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”