Closing out the season (2018/19)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you rather see the Canucks Make or Miss the Playoffs this year?

MAKE - the kids will benefit
66%
MISS - what a waste
34%

Total votes: 29

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Closing out the season (2018/19)

Post by Cornuck »

So here we are with 22 games left this year -doesn't sound like a lot, but it's 1/4 of the season.

We're 1 point (thanks RG) out of the last wild card with most teams having a game in hand. More importantly, only 8 points separate the last wild card spot and dead last in the West. Of the 8 teams in those spots, only the Hawks are currently (last 10 games) playing above .500 hockey.

Looking at the numbers, we have some chance to make the playoffs this year (just like Doc proudly predicted).

Some have argued that making the playoffs with no chance of success is a waste of a perfectly good lottery pick. Others will argue that a playoff series is just what this young team needs to continue their progress.

I've attached a poll to see what the group thinks - what are you hoping for? Playoffs or a better pick?

Pros of making the playoffs? Experience that can only be gained this way. Money for the owners. That chance we (Markstrom) could steal a series.

Cons of making the playoffs? We lose a chance to win the draft lottery in our home town. The team goes 0-4 and gets demoralized.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: Closing out the season (2018/19)

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

I'm reading this as the Canucks are one point out of the last wildcard spot, but everybody else (except Chigago) has one game in hand:

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2018/wildcard
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Thanks RG - corrected - some day I'll learn to type a coherent sentence. So.... opinion?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Obviously with the injuries, it's a long shot. I still chose -Make.

Awesome wording with the poll / well done. :) The kids will benefit.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Pick - a) they still need some prize picks and we may "win" for once plus b) who wants strange to be correct?
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

the goal to build a winning culture,make playoffs, should always be paramount.
The tank mode,Edmonton model,has been proven ineffectual .
It does feel like the wheels are about to come off though with all the injuries.
The top 6 doesn't seem to have the energy they displayed in the 1st half.
But they've already surprised everyone (except strange glove) and could continue.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The only reason they are in this”race” is because the bottom 8 teams took a massive Metamucil infused shit all over the place. It’s like the Olympian’s invited the Special Olympians to the Games. I don’t see the point of the Canucks sneaking in and getting throat pumped in four games. If they do fine, I certainly won’t cheer against them. To me a 5th to 10th pick would be better for the franchise moving forward, see how it plays out.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

If they have a chance to be there they should try to be there.

But that doesn’t mean they should be buyers at the deadline or shy away from moving someone if a buyer is willing to pay a premium (Tanev go TO?). Organizationally, they’re probably better off missing this year and having a shot at a lottery bounce (we’re due), but given how tragic the race out West is, they might as well be involved.

Although I’m not sure I could stomach getting rolled by the Flames...
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:54 pm So.... opinion?
I thought mods could see poll votes, but I'm glad to read that there's someone here who is interested in my opinion. I voted not.
Cornuck wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:26 pm Pros of making the playoffs? ...That chance we (Markstrom) could steal a series.
While there is a chance that in a season in which most of the Pacific division is hopeless, a mid-re-build Canucks could make the playoffs, could you really imagine them winning a series against a legitimate playoff team?
Cornuck wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:26 pm Cons of making the playoffs? We lose a chance to win the draft lottery in our home town. The team goes 0-4 and gets demoralized.
The most talented player drafted by this organization in a generation is crippled in the no-hold-barred phase of the season when there was no hope of a championship, anyway.
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:58 pm Pick - a) they still need some prize picks and we may "win" for once
Plus, even failing some luck in the lottery for a change, regular season position affects the draft order for every subsequent round, and yes, they are still a few "genius-level" picks away from enough talent in the pipeline to develop into an eventual contender.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If they are one round and done they’d be picking about 16-18th?

I think learning to win is huge. I think developing team chemistry in a playoff push is huge. It’s all about building confidence and belief. I’m under no illusions. If we make the playoffs and are still saddled with injuries to Tanev and or Edler it will be a short series. But if those two are healthy we can compete. Will we win a series? Mostly likely not. And it will be disappointing.

A better pick is needed. Benning has said previously that he sees approximately 3 players that could step into the NHL next season but everyone else will require development and are 2-3 years away from making an impact. So we’re talking about needing to fall enough to get a top 3 for the potential of some immediate help, or waiting another 2-3 years for a player to develop.

Our infusion of help will come from within the organization or FA in the summer. It won’t be from this year’s draft. So on balance I want either the playoffs or a complete let down and rapid decent to the bottom.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Quiet trade deadline is fine with me.
Let the team do the best it can with the players who got them close to the playoffs.
I want them to make it because you never know what happens if you do.
I think the Flames can be upset which would be awesome. 50/50 chance to upset them.
Sharks and Knights not much of a chance, maybe 5%, unless Markstrom pulls a King Richard.
Still playoffs are what it is all about, missing them bites, especially when you know you'll lose the lottery to Edmonton.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Playoffs, Baby!

My prediction for the season was (if all went well) that we might hit .500 hockey. Seems we're on course for that thanks to Pettersson and Markstrom.

I wasn't expecting the West to be a total shitshow, so playoffs were off my radar at the beginning of the year. This team has some talent and while missing a few (several? many?) pieces, they can compete most nights. So while I don't expect a long run if we do get in, I won't predict a "throat pumping"™ either.

Of course, a higher draft pick is nice - but if it's possible to give the kids a taste of playoff fever, then go for it. BUT - this team does not need to be a buyer at the Trade Deadline.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This draft class is average at best, after the first 2 picks, the 2nd tier begins which is made up of 4 or 5 nothing special prospects, around 8,9, 10 is where tier 3 begins in which close your eyes and pin the tail on the donkey

Make the playoffs ffs. It will do this club better than picking 3-4 spots higher in tier 3 where you’re deciding between Lavoie and Suzuki, a couple of yippie-ky-yays

Plus when you have a genius in Jimbro running the show you don’t need Melfag (EPC and RGs good buddy) and his Potatometrics getting all gay on us, Jim can turn water into wine all day long

Reefer - your thoughts?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Potatometrics
This made me lol. I don't know who you are talking about though.

I say ride or die. The west sucks and we have a shot at the playoffs. Go for it but don't trade for rental players at the deadline. Seems like the stars aligning to me.

We need either Jack Hughes or some other offensive players by way of free agency. I concur that a mid 1st rounder probably means little in the medium term.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Carlyee wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:33 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Potatometrics
This made me lol. I don't know who you are talking about though.

I say ride or die. The west sucks and we have a shot at the playoffs. Go for it but don't trade for rental players at the deadline. Seems like the stars aligning to me.

We need either Jack Hughes or some other offensive players by way of free agency. I concur that a mid 1st rounder probably means little in the medium term.
You know Sabremetrics? Invented by that nerd baseball fan? Well Melvin at HF (formerly Butt Gillis) fancies himself the hockey version of the dude who created Sabremetrics. He referred to his own drafting anal-lytics as the “potato” which led HF legend - Chef Boi RD to create the recipe Butto Gillisio Patata Gnocchi in celebration of Potatometrics!

Butt Gillis quickly changed his name to Melvin, but the gnocchi recipe is still a top seller and the Potatometrics carries on
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau