How Auston Matthews' contract might effect Boeser and Petterson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: How Auston Matthews' contract might effect Boeser and Petterson

Post by BigTuna »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:34 am Heres a suggestion. Hold back all the crowing until they can win at least one playoff round. It'll go a long way for your own sanity

Thats not such an accomplishment honestly...unless you're rocking the cornflake of despair
It's the Hawks model, not Toronto.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I get that man but heres the thing...you arent cheering for the black cocks are ya.

Youre following the curse buddy. You dont just copy a successfully model when you are rocking the curse.

That shit will require a sacrifice...I'm thinking matthews knee
If you need air...call it in
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:37 am I get that man but heres the thing...you arent cheering for the black cocks are ya.

Youre following the curse buddy. You dont just copy a successfully model when you are rocking the curse.

That shit will require a sacrifice...I'm thinking matthews knee
Really?

Why would you want to pay a lot for supporting guys? It makes zero sense. Pay your stars. Bargain bin guys are available yearly for 3rd and 4th lines.

When your stars get expensive, that's when you realize Beagle shit is not needed and stupid.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

As much as we appreciate Tuna's advice, while he's supporting his team's terrible contracts, they do provide a good cautionary tale - the timing of the extension is everything.

Willy should not have gone to the brink, and extorted $7 mil. He should have been signed in the summer of '17. Once it got to the start of the season, they should have either traded him or taken the 1st/2nd/3rd (that's assuming any team was willing to sign him for over $6.088, its possible Dubas was the only GM in the league willing to go that high).

Marner should have been extended in the summer. He's now added $2 mil to his cap hit - at least.

Oddly enough, Tambellini's contracts in Edmonton are looking quite good now - RNH is producing almost a PPG for $6 mil, and Hall won the Hart trophy at $6 mil. They were both extended at the earliest point.

Matthews has always been in the driver's seat so can't really fault Dubas for that rough cap hit and short extension - except that the other contracts should have been signed first, before Matthews set a baseline for Marner.

I'd say the Leaves window is now 3 years - that's when Kadri and Reilly are both up for new contracts. If Dubas is still there, Reilly is getting $10 mil+, at a point when Matthews is 2 years from a $20 mil extension.

Having said all that, I hope Petterson gets his 8 year extension ASAP, and I hope Boeser either gets 8 years, or gets 2-3 years. The main thing to avoid is Boeser hitting UFA at 27/28.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BigTuna wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:39 am
Why would you want to pay a lot for supporting guys? It makes zero sense. Pay your stars. Bargain bin guys are available yearly for 3rd and 4th lines.

When your stars get expensive, that's when you realize Beagle shit is not needed and stupid.
Its called the Edmonton Oilers model.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

ESQ wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:44 am As much as we appreciate Tuna's advice, while he's supporting his team's terrible contracts, they do provide a good cautionary tale - the timing of the extension is everything.

Willy should not have gone to the brink, and extorted $7 mil. He should have been signed in the summer of '17. Once it got to the start of the season, they should have either traded him or taken the 1st/2nd/3rd (that's assuming any team was willing to sign him for over $6.088, its possible Dubas was the only GM in the league willing to go that high).

Marner should have been extended in the summer. He's now added $2 mil to his cap hit - at least.

Oddly enough, Tambellini's contracts in Edmonton are looking quite good now - RNH is producing almost a PPG for $6 mil, and Hall won the Hart trophy at $6 mil. They were both extended at the earliest point.

Matthews has always been in the driver's seat so can't really fault Dubas for that rough cap hit and short extension - except that the other contracts should have been signed first, before Matthews set a baseline for Marner.

I'd say the Leaves window is now 3 years - that's when Kadri and Reilly are both up for new contracts. If Dubas is still there, Reilly is getting $10 mil+, at a point when Matthews is 2 years from a $20 mil extension.

Having said all that, I hope Petterson gets his 8 year extension ASAP, and I hope Boeser either gets 8 years, or gets 2-3 years. The main thing to avoid is Boeser hitting UFA at 27/28.
In 3 years Zaitsev likely is gone, Marleau is gone and the cap is about 95 million+ Plenty of $ for Rielly. Kadri we'll see where he is. He'll be 31 going on 32. Might not want him extended.

That's what you kids don't get, cap is going way up. Toronto is fine. And Nylander will be a 6.9 million 1st line winger who gets minimum 70+ points yearly.

It's already starting: Nylander looks great and has 5 points last 5 games. It's a great value contract.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

ESQ wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:46 am
BigTuna wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:39 am

Its called the Edmonton Oilers model.
I don't see the leaves signing an aging slow tough guy for over 6 million and trading 1st rounders for busts and league MVP for a slow second pair D, do you?

Edmonton is doing the opposite I just described. They've traded elite young talent and overpaid bottom 6 talent.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I bet if someone were to research it they would be able to prove that top teams and cup winners regularly sign vets and top character type players to dress in their bottom 6.

Canucks arent a contender but the leadership vacuum the sedins left behind was quickly filled by beagle and roussel quite nicely. Its a big reason the canucks arent down where many predicted they would be.

I am changing my opinion on the value of promoting a winning culture for a young core. The alternative is the coiler mess
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BigTuna wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:48 am
That's what you kids don't get, cap is going way up. Toronto is fine. And Nylander will be a 6.9 million 1st line winger who gets minimum 70+ points yearly.

It's already starting: Nylander looks great and has 5 points last 5 games. It's a great value contract.
Sorry dude, but at historic cap acceleration rates, Matthews' next contract will take all of the increased cap room between now and 2024.

All of the cap increase between now and Reilly's extension will go to Reilly.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BigTuna wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:49 am
I don't see the Leaves signing an aging slow tough guy for over 6 million and trading 1st rounders for busts and league MVP for a slow second pair D, do you?
Lets see, you traded Kessel for a goalie who's won one playoff series, and has been awful for the Leaves in the postseason, but I guess Kessel technically didn't win league MVP, justa couple cups.

You signed Marleau, who isn't tough and is a decade older than Lucic.

You signed Zaitsev after one okay NHL season.

Edmonton is doing the opposite I just described. They've traded elite young talent and overpaid bottom 6 talent.
Edmonton is hemorrhaging youth due to the cap crunch and due to lack of defensive depth. You've already given up basically your only good prospects and a 1st for 1 1/4 years of Muzzin. This off-season, you're losing more youth due to not being able to fit Kapanen and Johnsson under the cap. But hey, if they get offer sheets at least you'll get more 2nds! :lol:

But hey, everybody loves Marleau in the room, so at least there's that.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

ESQ wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:07 pm
BigTuna wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:49 am
I don't see the Leaves signing an aging slow tough guy for over 6 million and trading 1st rounders for busts and league MVP for a slow second pair D, do you?
Lets see, you traded Kessel for a goalie who's won one playoff series, and has been awful for the Leaves in the postseason, but I guess Kessel technically didn't win league MVP, justa couple cups.

You signed Marleau, who isn't tough and is a decade older than Lucic.

You signed Zaitsev after one okay NHL season.

Edmonton is hemorrhaging youth due to the cap crunch and due to lack of defensive depth. You've already given up basically your only good prospects and a 1st for 1 1/4 years of Muzzin. This off-season, you're losing more youth due to not being able to fit Kapanen and Johnsson under the cap. But hey, if they get offer sheets at least you'll get more 2nds! :lol:

But hey, everybody loves Marleau in the room, so at least there's that.
It has nothing to do with the cap at all. They haven't had to trade any youth for cap reasons. They traded a franchise C in Barzal for a guy who was already a bust in the Islanders organization. Who asked then to trade Hall for a slow second pair D? That was way too high a price to pay.

Chia made the team slower and less talented with his trades and signings.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:53 am I bet if someone were to research it they would be able to prove that top teams and cup winners regularly sign vets and top character type players to dress in their bottom 6.

Canucks arent a contender but the leadership vacuum the sedins left behind was quickly filled by beagle and roussel quite nicely. Its a big reason the canucks arent down where many predicted they would be.

I am changing my opinion on the value of promoting a winning culture for a young core. The alternative is the coiler mess
ugh, the "Leadership" and "Intangibles" makes me sick. It is so overrated. leaves rave about Marleau's "Leadership", meanwhile all the advanced stats say he is terrible and hurting every line he's on.

You win with talent.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

ESQ wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:58 am
BigTuna wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:48 am

Sorry dude, but at historic cap acceleration rates, Matthews' next contract will take all of the increased cap room between now and 2024.

All of the cap increase between now and Reilly's extension will go to Reilly.
That's your hope. Just like you had hope Matthews was headed to Arizona this summer.

Toronto is fine. There's never "Cap Hell" because you have too many good players. Anaheim and Edmonton are truly in cap hell right. They are bad with no cap room and no improvements possible.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I’d like the Canucks to do the 5-year route with Boeser, and lock up Petey for 8 years ASAP next July.

I imagine Boeser at somewhere between Nylander and Daisaitl money (5yr/30-$40M).

We’ll have to let next year play itself out, but if there’s any regression, I’d try to sell Petey on an Eichel type deal (8yr/$80), Another year like this one and we’re probably looking closer to $90M. If he wants 12+ I’d start exploring shorter terms.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BigTuna wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:14 pm
It has nothing to do with the cap at all. They haven't had to trade any youth for cap reasons. They traded a franchise C in Barzal for a guy who was already a bust in the Islanders organization. Who asked then to trade Hall for a slow second pair D? That was way too high a price to pay.

Chia made the team slower and less talented with his trades and signings.
Alright, fair points.

This is how I look at it - Toronto substantially improved their team by making a splash in UFA. Without Tavares, the Leaves are a middling team.

If Edmonton had the cap space to go after a solid top-4 UFA d-man, they wouldn't have had to trade Hall.

Look at this year's pending UFAs - Myers, Karlsson, Gardiner are in their 20s, then there's older guys like Coburn, Bouwmeester, Girardi, and middling guys like Jensen, Oesterle, Nemeth. Any one of those guys plus Taylor Hall would be better than what Edmonton has now.

Cap space, in and of itself, is an asset. The Leaves are desperately low on it, and I think that could have been avoided. As a result, trades to free up cap space will have a lesser return, and they are at risk of losing mid-level players to offer sheets with minimal compensation.