The "ALL HOCKEY / NO BS" hockey talk thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The "ALL HOCKEY / NO BS" hockey talk thread

Post by Cherry Picker »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:27 pm
ESQ wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 am I kinda agree with dangler. I would throw the kitchen sink at Karlsson but maybe sign a cheap depth d man and a cheap winger with some bite of that doesn’t work out.

Let’s the kids play and see if a trade can be worked out.

I keep doubling back to Ferland but those concussions scare the hell out of me.
Agreed. On all points.

I like this thread :mrgreen:
We currently have approx. $29M in cap space. Seems like a lot, but Boeser/Edler/Hutton/Demko will easily account for half.

Part of the cap bind the Leaves are in now is because they went "all-in" on Tavares. That gamble may work out for them, but they're going to be sacrificing depth for top-end talent. I'm not opposed to Karlsson as a player, but I prefer we save that cap space for our own guys. We should try to avoid more than one $10M+ deal, and that's going to be Petey pretty quick.

Re-up Edler at similar money, maybe take a stab at a depth defensive LHD like Benn.

We could use some more size on the wings. If we want to drop some money in free agency, someone like Mark Stone ($$$$), Wayne Simmonds ($$$), Anders Lee ($$), or Alex Chiasson ($) would fit the bill.
Stone plays the same position as Boeser on the PP. Love the guy, but not a net front presence.
Simmons is too old to grow with the kids. Fine as a place holder but not the answer long term.
Lee I don’t know.
Chiasson will be overpaid based on a couple hot months. Pass.

Skip signing Benn and give Sautner, Tryamkin, Brisbois a depth role on the left side behind Edler, Hutton and Hughes, or grab someone off waivers at the start of the season when GMs are sneaking good players down.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Listen YouDeeElle, Bo isn’t special enough to do it all by his lonesome McJesus style, the 2nd line will have to be done by committee if weez keeping Bo there and outside of Dahlen, MacEwan and Lind there isn’t much potential there

Hughes, Woo and Jew are top shelf prospects, there is also the hope of the big Red Tree returning from Siberia. And I haven’t even gotten too Brisebios, Sautner, WrathBone, Uterus (Utunen)

We don’t have wingers in the trans mountain pipe line like we do D
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

dangler wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:39 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm I disagree with everyone...always! The Canucks should finish building a dominating PP1.

The Canucks biggest need is a net front presence on PP1. the Canucks need a Hornqvist or Simmons type to make their PP truly dominating.
With Woo, Hughes and Juolevi joining the Canucks soon, the D will be fine.
Leivo is our Hornqvist or Simmons type

Hughes SHOULD be joining the Canucks soon, but has yet to prove himself NHL ready,the other 2 are probably at least a year away from a full time roster spot
Hughes WILL be joining the Canucks soon. <- that’s a period at the end of that statement.

Leivo isn’t a net front presence that dominates the crease. He has a good shot, and grinds, but I haven’t seen anything that makes me compare him to Simmons or Hornqvist in front of the net.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Alexander Nylander seems to be flailing in Buffalo. Take a flyer on him? Throw him on Petey’s right side (he’s a right winger) and put Boeser back with Bo? Could be a Lindholm like potential, change of scenery. Buffalo could be buyers at the deadline. Goldobin plus? Petey might be able to get his countryman going, weren’t they linemates in junior?

I hear Nylanders biggest issue is his motor, it runs like a sewing machine running a tug boat
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:11 am A true GM would trade Bo at his highest.
Then it's settled, we should look into trading Bo 6 years from now...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 am I kinda agree with dangler. I would throw the kitchen sink at Karlsson but maybe sign a cheap depth d man and a cheap winger with some bite of that doesn’t work out.

Let’s the kids play and see if a trade can be worked out.

I keep doubling back to Ferland but those concussions scare the hell out of me.
Agreed. On all points.

I like this thread :mrgreen:
I think throwing the kitchen sink signing Karlsson would be as big a mistake as when this team signed Messier, actually, worse.
1/ He's on the old side for what we are trying to do.
2/ The only way he comes here is max money and max term.
3/ His injury record is a worry.
4/ His life is like a soap opera in the NHL media realm. Not good for the team thing.
5/ Anything goes wrong and Canucks would be paying 11+ million a year and on the cap.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Messier was 36. Karlsson would be 29.

He could score 60 points in his sleep. Only a handful of d men in the league could do that.

People don’t mind paying 10.35 million per year for Brandon Sutter and Loui Eriksson. But you scoff at it for a younger player who is one of the game’s elite. I think it’s a moot point anyways but it would be stupid to not try
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:03 pm Lol Messier was 36. Karlsson would be 29.

He could score 60 points in his sleep. Only a handful of d men in the league could do that.

People don’t mind paying 10.35 million per year for Brandon Sutter and Loui Eriksson. But you scoff at it for a younger player who is one of the game’s elite. I think it’s a moot point anyways but it would be stupid to not try
It would be a flashy move, not a responsible one.
I don't believe in the "high risk / high reward thing. (not in hockey anyways). :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

43 points in 47 games after a very poor start

Sure he has had ankle injuries and he isn’t the best skater in the league anymore. He’s still a top 5 d man currently and likely to be no worse than a top 10 or 15 for the balance of a 7 year contract. I don’t see a massive risk
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:59 pm
Stone plays the same position as Boeser on the PP. Love the guy, but not a net front presence.
Simmons is too old to grow with the kids. Fine as a place holder but not the answer long term.
Lee I don’t know.
Chiasson will be overpaid based on a couple hot months. Pass.

Skip signing Benn and give Sautner, Tryamkin, Brisbois a depth role on the left side behind Edler, Hutton and Hughes, or grab someone off waivers at the start of the season when GMs are sneaking good players down.
Sorry, I missed that we were looking specifically for a net-front presence, I'm mainly thinking skilled/semi-skilled bigger bodies to add into our top-6/9. But if you're looking for net-front specifically, Lee is your guy.
Only Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine, Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and Tyler Seguin have scored more on the power play in the last two seasons. Of that group, Simmonds is the only one with a play style comparable to Lee, and Simmonds is significantly less effective at even strength.

Anders Lee is a bit of a one trick pony but in that regard, he’s basically the Secretariat of net front scorers. Within 10 feet of the net, nobody in the league is more lethal than Lee and his pure production is on par with the league’s superstars.
Fine with giving a younger guy a shot as a depth option on D, but when injuries hit it's nice to have someone capable of upping their minutes and having two rookies on the left side back there doesn't strike me as a good recipe. Selfishly, I'd like Benn for the Saanich Peninsula connection, I suspect he'll get more money/role elsewhere.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:27 pm I'm not opposed to Karlsson as a player, but I prefer we save that cap space for our own guys. We should try to avoid more than one $10M+ deal, and that's going to be Petey pretty quick.

Re-up Edler at similar money, maybe take a stab at a depth defensive LHD like Benn.
Fair point about becoming top heavy on the cap, but let me ask you this - what are the odds that Hughes ever has a seen as good as Karlsson's current year? What are the odds he ever cracks 60 points in a season? Even the most bullish among us would probably say 50/50 at best.

The problem with adding a low-end guy like Benn is it will be shuffling the deck chairs, but it won't improve the D.

We've added a legit top-6 winger in Leivo through trading farm garbage. 4ish point wingers are cheap and easy to draft, develop, or acquire. Whereas a defenceman as great as Karlsson is almost impossible to acquire.
We could use some more size on the wings. If we want to drop some money in free agency, someone like Mark Stone ($$$$), Wayne Simmonds ($$$), Anders Lee ($$), or Alex Chiasson ($) would fit the bill.
I like Stone, but he's getting a raise as one of the best UFA wingers in recent memory. He'll get $9 million or more.

Chiasson is making league minimum and is Edmonton's 4th best forward. Guys like that are always available, and there may be some already in the system.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:27 pm Fair point about becoming top heavy on the cap, but let me ask you this - what are the odds that Hughes ever has a seen as good as Karlsson's current year? What are the odds he ever cracks 60 points in a season? Even the most bullish among us would probably say 50/50 at best.
I'd be thrilled if Hughes became Tyson Barrie, who's never had a 60-point season, although is on pace for one this year. So no, I don't anticipate Hughes becoming a HHOF-caliber player, but that's kind of beside the point.
The problem with adding a low-end guy like Benn is it will be shuffling the deck chairs, but it won't improve the D.
I know what you're getting at, but the point of signing someone like that would be to add NHL-calibre depth. If it did happen to be Benn, he's certainly an upgrade on Pouliot and is as good as Gudbranson (although not nearly as physical). Either way, that calibre of player ($2M range) isn't going to have an impact on your ability to go after EK or MS.
Whereas a defenceman as great as Karlsson is almost impossible to acquire.
True. But I think the only way we acquire Karlsson is to give him the most money. As a team that will need to re-up almost all our good/core players over the next 2-4 years, I'd rather not follow Toronto into cap hell ASAP.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 pm
True. But I think the only way we acquire Karlsson is to give him the most money. As a team that will need to re-up almost all our good/core players over the next 2-4 years, I'd rather not follow Toronto into cap hell ASAP.
The leaves made the mistake of having everything happen in a 2 year span. Once Marner is signed, they'll have committed $40 million in cap over a 12-month span.

By the time Petterson's elc expires, Sutter's contract will be gone. If Hughes doesn't sign until next year, or if Brock only signs a bridge deal (which I think is likely), Loui, Roussel and Beagle will be finished.

Since Hughes will sign this year, I hope Benning aims for a 3 year bridge for Brock.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Signing an elite dman should be the priority.

Markstrom stole that game last night, but the Flames were all over the Canucks. They had someone cherry picking all night (Gaudreau a lot). They can afford to because the defenceman on that team are good enough to get the puck to that forward up the ice more often than not.

The way they can transition from their own zone to a scoring chance is amazing. They have good talent up front, but it would be wasted if they played in front of a defence like we currently have here.

Canucks have nobody who can do that. If every forward is not back helping, it's chaos back there. If Hughes comes as advertised and this team can somehow land EK...look out. There's the potential to have one or the other on the ice for over 2/3rds of the game.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

vic wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:21 pm Signing an elite dman should be the priority.

Markstrom stole that game last night, but the Flames were all over the Canucks. They had someone cherry picking all night (Gaudreau a lot). They can afford to because the defenceman on that team are good enough to get the puck to that forward up the ice more often than not.

The way they can transition from their own zone to a scoring chance is amazing. They have good talent up front, but it would be wasted if they played in front of a defence like we currently have here.

Canucks have nobody who can do that. If every forward is not back helping, it's chaos back there. If Hughes comes as advertised and this team can somehow land EK...look out. There's the potential to have one or the other on the ice for over 2/3rds of the game.
This post right here. Vic nails it.

Our forward group stacks up well against the lames but their d is in a different league.

Karlsson should be our target if he doesnt sign. Hes worth the bank and we have the room
If you need air...call it in