The "ALL HOCKEY / NO BS" hockey talk thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The "ALL HOCKEY / NO BS" hockey talk thread

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:30 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:23 pm Rank all of Mike Gillis 1st and 2nd round picks best to worst

My list

1. Horvat (traded Schneider for him)
2. Hodgson
3. Connauton
4. Gaunce
5. Jensen
6. Schroeder
7. Rodin
8. Shinkaruk
9. Mallet
10. Sauve
Why back in my day a GM that drafted like that would be horsewhipped!

HORSEWHIPPED I SAY!!! :evil: :twisted: :evil:
Doc these were all of his 1st and 2nd round picks. Just awful. Gillis singlehandedly ruined this organization. Disgusting
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Wheres hutton?
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Anton Rödin was a good pick.

No one could know he would get injured in a freak accident and never really recover.

He was SHL MVP in 2015/16, the same year he had a tendon near his knee sliced off by a skate.
In 2016/17 he played a total of 6 games.
In 2017/18 he played a total of 25 games.
In 2018/19 he played a total of 45 games.

In my book he is on the same page as Luc Bourdon, except, he didn't die.
But a really skilled player who had his career destroyed/ended by a freak accident.

Before his injury he was roughly the same standard as Silfverberg and Järnkrok, who were also his linemates in Brynäs.
No franchise player or superstar, but a reliable NHL regular. I think that's where he'd be at, had he not had his knee injury.
A second or third line player, scoring 30(Järnkrok)-40(Silfverberg) points per season.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/7084/anton-rodin
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/6 ... ilfverberg
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/6 ... e-jarnkrok

He has now signed a five year deal with Brynäs in the SHL, his old home team.
I hope he has recovered enough to be able to handle the SHL level. Not sure.
He still hasn't been able to play a full season since his injury.
We'll see.

Either way, I think it's a bit harsh to demand that Gillis should be able to predict that the skate of a falling team mate would slice of the tendons on the side of the knee....

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:23 pm Rank all of Mike Gillis 1st and 2nd round picks best to worst

My list

2. Hodgson
3. Connauton
4. Gaunce
5. Jensen
6. Schroeder
7. Rodin
8. Shinkaruk
9. Mallet
10. Sauve

Doc these were all of his 1st and 2nd round picks. Just awful. Gillis singlehandedly ruined this organization. Disgusting
#itsallgillisfault

Yet under the other guy the Canucks were one game within a SC championship, under the new guy the team made the playoffs how many times? How many playoffs wins? How many series wins?

the team has less than 50% chance of making the playoffs this year and you think he is better?

You drink too much.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:56 am

My list

2. Hodgson
3. Connauton
4. Gaunce
5. Jensen
6. Schroeder
7. Rodin
8. Shinkaruk
9. Mallet
10. Sauve

#itsallgillisfault

Yet under the other guy the Canucks were one game within a SC championship, under the new guy the team made the playoffs how many times? How many playoffs wins? How many series wins?

the team has less than 50% chance of making the playoffs this year and you think he is better?

You drink too much.
Guy #1 Took a decent core of young players and augmented/supported it to the point where they were one game away from the grail. But to get there he setup his own demise going 1-8 in the final playoff games played by his team and ultimately missing out altogether.

Guy #2 Took over a team that had gone 1-8 in its last playoff attempts, then missed the dance completely. He inherited a ton of crappy NTC’s, an empty prospect cupboard, and aging core players. His playoff record is 2-6. He has rebuilt the on ice product and the new core is all under 25, and there are some future and support pieces younger than that. He needs to shed some salary cap bloat if his own making, but the future is bright, and he hasn’t sacrificed key draft picks to add the dead weight.....something his predecessor was quick to do.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:34 am
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:56 am

My list

2. Hodgson
3. Connauton
4. Gaunce
5. Jensen
6. Schroeder
7. Rodin
8. Shinkaruk
9. Mallet
10. Sauve

#itsallgillisfault

You drink too much.
Guy #1 Took a decent core of young players and augmented/supported it to the point where they were one game away from the grail. But to get there he setup his own demise going 1-8 in the final playoff games played by his team and ultimately missing out altogether.

Guy #2 Took over a team that had gone 1-8 in its last playoff attempts, then missed the dance completely. He inherited a ton of crappy NTC’s, an empty prospect cupboard, and aging core players. His playoff record is 2-6. He has rebuilt the on ice product and the new core is all under 25, and there are some future and support pieces younger than that. He needs to shed some salary cap bloat if his own making, but the future is bright, and he hasn’t sacrificed key draft picks to add the dead weight.....something his predecessor was quick to do.
Inject this into my veins
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:30 pm Why back in my day a GM that drafted like that would be horsewhipped!

____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Nothing can stay asleep for ever. It always awakens...

Vancouver Canucks' billionaire owners face huge tax bill years after team purchase;
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5183787
"evolution"