Trade Deadline, Feb.25, 2019 ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Deadline, Feb.25, 2019 ?

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:30 pm Per, in all seriousness your thoughts on both Broberg and Soderstrom and who you picking if you had to choose and how high would you pick em? Top 10?
I haven’t seen either of them rated top 10 yet
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Iceman2014 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:38 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:55 am I dont see Karlsson wanting to come here. Panarin has stated he’d sign in Vancouver. Panarin is the Russian catalyst to getting Tryamkin back.
Benning shouldn't be adding Karlsson at all. Panarin is too old for our core and why they hell do we need to entice Tryamkin to come back?! So he can be our giant #5 or #6 D-man?! Give me a break.

Karlsson turns 29 in May
Panarin turns 28 in October

Karlsson is a year and a half older than Panarin and with a bum ankle. Panarin has no major injury history
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:31 am I’d rather move the glass man than Stecher. Get rid of Sutter and retain on his deal for two years. Bully Eriksson into retiring after they pay his bonus
Tanev or Stecher would be pretty easy to trade, Sutter semi-easy as teams could use that 3rd line C checker/pk'er, just have to ask him to waive his NTC. Eriksson would be difficult due to his contract, but he could be good for a cap floor team with his low salary, high cap.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:35 am Sutter and Eriksson should be removed from the roster for next year. Theyve both been usurped by the next wave. LE is going to be tough to move so will the eye-ties pay to have him suck in utica? Sutter will appeal to a team Im pretty sure if we retain
:thumbs:
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:51 am Don’t resign Edler, move Eriksson, and use some of that 11.5 million to sign Panarin.
Panarin would be insane beside Petey, but ideally we land that coveted top 4 overall pick to get a forward who can play next season.
Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:30 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:12 am Have about $2M in cap space after that.
I believe the total is just under $76M... with a likely cap of $83M next season.
So... about $7M in cap space after that.
Also you have 24 players there, so scratch one and his cap hit.

Tons of cap-space for Karlsson or whomever...

EDIT: plus the $800K retention on Luongo... and not sure what your plan for Baer would be
true true, Bart imo could retire due to too many concussions.
Per wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:28 pm
micky107 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:46 pm Per: Thoughts ?
Yeah, sure.
A lot of Swedes have played for the Canucks, and from what I understand they tend to like it there. I mean, most Swedes tend to be outdoorsy, and BC offers a lot for those who like the outdoors. You can ski, you can fish, lot of beautiful scenery, and at the same time the niceties of living in a big city. Also, I think there are a lot of things in Canada that are very similar to Scandinavia, so they feel right at home.

I'm sure Karlsson could enjoy hanging out with Edler, Pettersson and Markström. And Eriksson, if he's still around. It's not like he won't have North American friends, but I think most people enjoy having countrymen around, when living abroad.

Also, the hype around Pettersson could definitely factor in. Definitely not a minus.
Yeah adding a Karlsson - a lock future HHOF - would change this team for the better, and if we another weapon up front, EK + Q on point would be pretty crazy fun to watch all that talent.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:30 pm Per, in all seriousness your thoughts on both Broberg and Soderstrom and who you picking if you had to choose and how high would you pick em? Top 10?
To be honest, I haven't seen much of either of them, but based on what I know, I'd go with Broberg.
He is bigger, and he has already made the Swedish J20 national team, played at this year's WJC.
He has mobility and hockey sense.

That being said, Söderström is playing in the better league, the SHL, whilst Broberg is in the second tier league, albeit on a good team that will probably challenge one of the bottom dwellers of the SHL for a slot this spring. I think Söderström plays a more physical game, but again -he is smaller.

Anyway, Broberg has made the J20 national team at age 17. That says something. I'd go with him.
Also, I mean, the nickname is given, right? "Hey, Bro! Get here!"
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Iceman2014 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:38 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:55 am I dont see Karlsson wanting to come here. Panarin has stated he’d sign in Vancouver. Panarin is the Russian catalyst to getting Tryamkin back.
Benning shouldn't be adding Karlsson at all. Panarin is too old for our core and why they hell do we need to entice Tryamkin to come back?! So he can be our giant #5 or #6 D-man?! Give me a break.
Disagree, what's the one thing all these unsuccessful rebuilding teams are lacking? a true QB on defense, we got the cap space, we might as well jump the gun and grab a hall of famer right off the bat.

Sheeeit with Q and EK we'll have two.

Plus with EK, that takes a shitload of pressure off of Hughes so he can develop at his own pace without the scrutiny of the media/fans.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 pm true true, Bart imo could retire due to too many concussions.
If Baercheese retires, does his salary still count towards our cap?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:27 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 pm true true, Bart imo could retire due to too many concussions.
If Baercheese retires, does his salary still count towards our cap?
He would be on LTIR so we would get cap relief if we were up against the cap ceiling.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:21 pm
He would be on LTIR so we would get cap relief if we were up against the cap ceiling.
So we'd basically get an extra $3M to spend if Baercheese is on LTIR? I assume Baer would still get get paid the full amount for the remainder of his contract. Does Dorsett's retirement due to injury work in a similar fashion with the cap?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:31 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:21 pm
So we'd basically get an extra $3M to spend if Baercheese is on LTIR? I assume Baer would still get get paid the full amount for the remainder of his contract. Does Dorsett's retirement due to injury work in a similar fashion with the cap?
Retirement is a misnomer. Dorsett stopped playing due to injuries but officially won't retire until his contract is up.

Yes to answer your question. Dorsett is on IR until his contract expires then he will file his retirement papers I assume. A player wont just retire when they are under contract, due to injuries that is. If they do they walk away from the remainder of their contract. Think Pronger, Horton, Clarke, Hossa etc. They still count on the cap but you get cap relief when you are up against the ceiling. They still get paid either by the team or insurer depending upon what type of insurance/injury they have.

This is why cap floor teams trade for these types of players. Their cap counts against the team cap and can bring them up to or over the cap floor and they don't have to worry about or need cap relief.

So if Baertschi stops playing due to injuries then yes, we would place him on IR. If we are squeezed up to the cap ceiling then we would get relief up to his cap amount. If we are not at the cap ceiling it becomes irrelevant, we don't need the room.

But a team needs to be careful because the moment a player comes off IR you must be cap compliant again. We ran into this with Salo. He was ready to come off IR but we were way over the cap. We managed to get him to the minors for conditioning to buy time and then miraculously another D got injured and was placed on IR. Cant remember who it was. Maybe Ballard or Mitchell. Doc would know :mrgreen:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

So, Like TO, do we have to be cap compliant with Bear starting day 1 of the season?

This is what I find weird, if a player is on long term injury how does that work against your cap starting day 1 of the season?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Chicago had this issue with Hossa after he mysteriously became allergic to hockey equipment ha

But in the offseason his AAV counted against the cap (so they couldn't go spend money July 1st) but as soon as the season started he'd be put on LTIR, which is why they traded him to AZ sacrificing Vinnie Hinostroza to get rid of his contract altogether.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:12 am Chicago had this issue with Hossa after he mysteriously became allergic to hockey equipment ha

But in the offseason his AAV counted against the cap (so they couldn't go spend money July 1st) but as soon as the season started he'd be put on LTIR, which is why they traded him to AZ sacrificing Vinnie Hinostroza to get rid of his contract altogether.
Canucks needs to wrap a pick around LE and move him, Sutter should get something back, this would free up $10M for the Genius to do his job during FA on real players.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:42 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:12 am Chicago had this issue with Hossa after he mysteriously became allergic to hockey equipment ha

Canucks needs to wrap a pick around LE and move him, Sutter should get something back, this would free up $10M for the Genius to do his job during FA on real players.
Yeah move Sutter for a 2020 pick after teams lose out on UFA day for a 3rd line checking center.

& use that pick to move Eriksson's contract.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:07 am So, Like TO, do we have to be cap compliant with Bear starting day 1 of the season?

This is what I find weird, if a player is on long term injury how does that work against your cap starting day 1 of the season?
Because a player comes off IR when the season is over and cannot be put back on IR until the next season begins. Technically. So you must include the player on your active roster, then place him on IR. Then you get the cap relief if you are up against it. A team who is needing to get to the cap floor uses that cap to do so.

A players cap never stops counting against the team’s cap, even when on IR. You just get relief up to that cap amount if you are up to the cap ceiling.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:32 am
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:42 am

Yeah move Sutter for a 2020 pick after teams lose out on UFA day for a 3rd line checking center.

& use that pick to move Eriksson's contract.
You aren’t getting a 1st back for Sutter even if you eat half his ticket. It will take at least a 1st to ditch the last three years of the Air Thief’s contract
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”