Trade Deadline, Feb.25, 2019 ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Trade Deadline, Feb.25, 2019 ?

Post by Mickey107 »

Obviously very early, even for speculation, however, with the genius level, intuitive minds regarding hockey wisdom on this board,
it is prudent to throw out our suggestions and evaluations as we are THE most noted hockey forum in the world.
And it is because of our tremendous influence, impact and ultimate knowledge on such matters, we need the management and ownership
of our trending upward Canucks, privy to our expertise. It is, I dare say, only fair.

Let's start by glancing over the current contracts;
https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/

At this point, my thoughts are as follows;

Sven Baertschi because his health status moving forward, scares me.
Marcus Granlund a maybe because IMO, we've seen the best he can be. But just a maybe.
Del Zotto a definite because I cannot see the value in him but for him to move, he will need to be seen. :(
One of; Pouliot or Stecher could be possible but that may leave us short and Biega has the ability to sit in the press box
and be ready anytime and he's dirt cheap.(impotant because we may want to spend), so keep Biega.
Eriksson is noteworthy but I doubt there will be takers, even if he agreed.

Almost everywhere you look, the general consensus IS Edler, and to a lesser degree, Tanev.
Nope, not me! I feel we are better served by having them both around for a while.

In retrospect, it is early and much can change but never too early to chew the fat as it were, eh? (huh? to our American friends).
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Deadline, Feb.25, 2019 ?

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Great thread.

Get ready for another fiasco like 2016
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I predict we are floating around the 500 mark still on either side of the wildcard cutoff and should be sellers.

My notable expendables are delzaster and baertchi. Neither will bring back much more than a 3rd or a 2nd if were really fortunate.

If we are kicking tires on anyone it might be simmonds.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Would love to trade our 2019 18th overall for a good young player who can help us now. It’s a shitty draft class
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:05 pm Would love to trade our 2019 18th overall for a good young player who can help us now. It’s a shitty draft class
That would be a BOLD move. One down side of the new draft lotto odds out that while it discourages tanking, it also gives every non playoff team a shot at the top. Every year since the new lotto started, one playoff bubble team has shot up the draft, which makes me against moving the first. But if we're in a playoff spot, then for sure it's moveable.

I agree on keeping Edler/Tanev, unless you're getting a first from a non playoff team.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hope Elmer doesn’t trade our top 8 pick for another scrub like 44

This is an excellent draft
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:21 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:05 pm Would love to trade our 2019 18th overall for a good young player who can help us now. It’s a shitty draft class
That would be a BOLD move. One down side of the new draft lotto odds out that while it discourages tanking, it also gives every non playoff team a shot at the top. Every year since the new lotto started, one playoff bubble team has shot up the draft, which makes me against moving the first. But if we're in a playoff spot, then for sure it's moveable.

I agree on keeping Edler/Tanev, unless you're getting a first from a non playoff team.
Edler doesn't have much value to a non playoff team given he will be UFA. Edler unlikely to waive to a non playoff team. Tanev still has valet anon playoff team but who knows what his list looks like.
The only HW the Canucks need
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

yep, if Jimbro could land a good RHD,trade that 1st. It's looking like the rebuild is happening faster than anticipated and that is/will be the weakest position on the roster
I doubt he does it,with the draft here and the chance of winning the lottery.
If the player he traded for didn't pan out, it would probably cost him his job.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Since my Canucks will be going to the playoffs this season I can't see them selling at the deadline.

(but I could see them moving a couple of players for picks in the summer)

I'll play along though, in the spirit of this thread...

Edler could bring back a late 1st at the deadline if he could be coaxed into waiving.

Now, since we will have tons of cap room until 2021

... and since win-it-all-now teams are generally strapped for cap room...

imagine if we retained on an already-fair contract that could help a contender for a few seasons.

Imagine if we retained 50% on one of Sutter, Tanev, or The Guds?

It would drive up the value/return of that player immensely no? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

LMFAO at trading futures for an older D man to accelerate the rebuild. Because that worked out so well the last time they did that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some folks have no patience for a rebuild
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:05 pm LMFAO at trading futures for an older D man to accelerate the rebuild. Because that worked out so well the last time they did that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some folks have no patience for a rebuild
I think those folks may have been suggesting the rebuild would effectively be over at that point.

But it is obvious you are still butt-hurt after correctly being outed as the Can't Handle A Rebuild Guy

... so by all means continue lashing out, we get it bro! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lashing out lol I’m purple with rage.

IGC can’t handle a rebuild. Cholla is talking playoffs LMAO

You’re a riot Cholla!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:34 pm Lashing out lol I’m purple with rage.
Not rage, just lashing out in confusion and pain. Sad!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Given where we are in the standings, Benning could be forgiven for holding pat. I’d personally like to see Edler moved for futures, but given the trade protection that would be a tough sell with a disappointing return. It would have significant impact in the room, so if we’re still sitting in that 9-11 hole I’d be fine with him letting the players decide.

No buying.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If the Canucks continue with this torrid .750 winning pace we need to be buyers!!!

2019 1st, Madden, Demko, Hutton for Benn???
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau