Goaltending

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Goaltending

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Ok, so can we play Nilsson for the first 10 min of each game?? Saving the forts shot of the game 1 time in 3 is savage.

In his short career Markstromm has done it 9 times (I believe??)

At first, I would believe it wasn't the coach for not getting him prepared, but after 2 goalie coaches and 2 head coaches, you now have to start to believe it's just marky not being able to get his head in the game.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Goaltending

Post by Hockey Widow »

I’d definitely start Nilsson next game. Markstrom’s GAA is ridiculously high three games in.
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I'd honestly rather live with the Demko learning curve than see the same shit we saw the past couple years with the guaranteed one weak goal per game from Markstrom.

No, the porous defense isn't helping but the shitty rebounds and first shot goals are getting tiresome. It's always been an issue with him, his positional play has never been good, he's just big! Same with Nilsson. If we have a strong D it would be fine because they help keep his movements to a minimum, but we don't.

Honestly think a more agile goalie would fair better with this type of team, someone with better rebound control will in turn help the defense. Not to mention a better ability to react to odd plays by a weaker back end.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Honestly, we have what we have between the pipes - like it or lump it. Until our blueline gets better, I wouldn't throw Demko to the wolves this season, not even as a backup.

Markstrom should turn himself around to a degree. A lot of goalies are seeing some ghastly GAAs right now. That said, I'm not expecting miracles.

They are who we thought they were. Buckle up, because it's gonna be a rough couple of months in the meantime.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Lancer wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 pm Honestly, we have what we have between the pipes - like it or lump it. Until our blueline gets better, I wouldn't throw Demko to the wolves this season, not even as a backup.
I disagree, I don't think it's throwing him to the wolves. There's no expectations this season, just to get younger and develop. Demko has a history of struggling when he makes the jump to the next level but because he's more of a student of the game he works hard and figures out what he needs to do in order to succeed.

I think you ease him in, let him get a bunch of shots and chances. It could make him a better NHL goalie in the long run!
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:41 pm
Lancer wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 pm Honestly, we have what we have between the pipes - like it or lump it. Until our blueline gets better, I wouldn't throw Demko to the wolves this season, not even as a backup.
I disagree, I don't think it's throwing him to the wolves. There's no expectations this season, just to get younger and develop. Demko has a history of struggling when he makes the jump to the next level but because he's more of a student of the game he works hard and figures out what he needs to do in order to succeed.

I think you ease him in, let him get a bunch of shots and chances. It could make him a better NHL goalie in the long run!
Letting him get ventilated on the regular this season isn't going to help, no matter how much of a student of the game he is. He gets called up, the pressure will be on the organization to give him the reins and I don't believe he's ready - not with the defencemen in front of him.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Lancer wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:43 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Letting him get ventilated on the regular this season isn't going to help, no matter how much of a student of the game he is. He gets called up, the pressure will be on the organization to give him the reins and I don't believe he's ready - not with the defencemen in front of him.
I don't necessarily think we give him the reins but perhaps split games with Markstrom. Marky is getting ventilated, if the same happens to Demko no one will bat an eye. If Demko has a little more success the pressure is on Markstrom!

Give him a shot to earn something! Neither Markstrom or Nilsson have shown they can.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah Nilsson had a hot start last season (didn't he get 2 shutouts?), then faded and got progressively worse, he could be one of those start fast goalies.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

When Demko was on the plane eastbound the concussion acted up.
Hope he's OK.
"evolution"
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:51 pmMarky is getting ventilated, if the same happens to Demko no one will bat an eye. If Demko has a little more success the pressure is on Markstrom
I respectfully have to disagree on that bolded point. This market, which i contend has one of the worst sports fan bases around, love to eat their own young. Just look what happened after two sub-par PRESEASON outings this year. You had large swathes of people saying that Demko sucked and was a bust. Look at the exodus off the Brock bandwagon after a slow start, an extremely common occurrence amongst sophomores.
Demko will, and deserves to, get some games this year but i for one won't be surprised if the fans unjustly turn hostile if/when he too gets lit up behind this team.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Last season, Markstrom put up NHL average save% numbers behind that defence -- and sometimes even worse, when top defencemen were injured. To me, that suggests that he is actually slightly better than an average NHL goaltender. I'm with Blob: the bigger problem is on the blueline, not between the pipes.

Also of note, a lot of NHL goaltenders are getting ventilated early this season. It's probably another evolution of the game, partly due to deliberate rule tweaks to increase scoring. Scoring might drop a bit as the goaltenders get used to the new equipment.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Agree Rocky - fans here and other places turn on players quickly.

RG - disagree with your post, most goalies do not get scored on as much as Markstrom on the first shot. I do think the team has any confidence in the guy and honestly is part of the reason why they run around like chickens. Of course the D is putrid but you can have an allstar D and your goalie still needs to stop un screened shots from the point. Markstrom not so much, your goalie needs to have rebound control, Markstrom not so much.

Time to give Nillsson a couple games, hell time to see if there are any UFA goalies available and see if that guy can stop a puck.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Canucks playing from behind right from the beginning of the game doesn't help confidence, I think most can agree marky/nilsson usually allow a softy in almost every game, it gets a little frustrating, defense or not, a goalie is the backbone of the D squad, Ryan Miller had more solid game than those two with the same meh defense, RM's first year with Vancouver was his best with 6 shutouts and a 2.53 gaa, he had the ability to steal more games than marky/nilsson, that's what's missing from those two, they don't really inspire that same stealing games ability.
via VanCity Sportsnut

Canucks 17-18 goals against:

First 5 mins: 29 games
First 3 mins: 18 games
First 2 mins: 13 games
First minute: 6 games

So far in 18-19 2 of 3 games with a goal allowed in the first minute.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Might think about bringing in another. Possibly one currently playing in Europe or Russia. Younger than Mark-Nill.
Why not ?
One point eight to two would likely do it. Waive good-bye to one of the other twins.
They both have an underarm problem and it stinks.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Millers save pctg in his last two years was a cunt hair better than what Markstroms was last year. Don’t compare it to Millers first year here. That was a far better defensive team
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”