Tracking the top Centre

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: Tracking the top Centre

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27 pm Just thought that it should be publically stated that not only is Pettersson now the top centre on the Canucks. He is the greatest all time centre to ever play for the Canucks.

Evidence is as follows:
1. He has the highest scoring percentage of all time among Canuck centres.
2. He has the best shot of any centre in team history and unbelievable puck skills.
3 He was able to turn assclowns like Goldobin and Eriksson into serviceable players, something Hank (the previously best centre) was unable to do.
I know you're kidding (sample size), but you bring up an interesting point. By "the greatest all time centre to ever play for the Canucks", do you mean the greatest at that position while in a Canucks uniform, or greatest at that position ever to wear a Canucks uniform? I think the two criteria yield sharply different lists.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Trevor's C. Ouch.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:21 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27 pm Just thought that it should be publically stated that not only is Pettersson now the top centre on the Canucks. He is the greatest all time centre to ever play for the Canucks.

Evidence is as follows:
1. He has the highest scoring percentage of all time among Canuck centres.
2. He has the best shot of any centre in team history and unbelievable puck skills.
3 He was able to turn assclowns like Goldobin and Eriksson into serviceable players, something Hank (the previously best centre) was unable to do.
I know you're kidding (sample size), but you bring up an interesting point. By "the greatest all time centre to ever play for the Canucks", do you mean the greatest at that position while in a Canucks uniform, or greatest at that position ever to wear a Canucks uniform? I think the two criteria yield sharply different lists.
Your question made my brain hurt. You win!
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cherry a little harsh on Goldy and Eriksson(whom scored with Bruins: 63pts | Stars: 71pts, 73pts, 71pts, 63pts respectively), sure he's getting up there in age and is a bit banged up since he got here and coach green/brown rarely gave him powerplay time last season - using him as a defensive type, but has had good metrics.

But Loui has proven to be an effective two-way winger all his career and has played best with a creative center. (krejci, richards now EP), so I think it's wise to have a two-way vet on EP's wing for now.

And Goldy has always shown flashes of brilliance, but he was playing with Sutter last year who can't pass worth shit, and Igor Larionov the chess master got him going this offseason, Goldy + Petey have shown immediate chemistry which bodes well for the team moving forward.

Anyways yeah EP is a rising superstar without a question, even he has shown to quickly improve in a number of areas including faceoffs, he's actually #2 behind Horvat in FaceOff Winning % @ 54.5%, with Bo @ 59.7%!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

SKYO wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:58 pm Cherry a little harsh on Goldy and Eriksson(whom scored with Bruins: 63pts | Stars: 71pts, 73pts, 71pts, 63pts respectively), sure he's getting up there in age and is a bit banged up since he got here and coach green/brown rarely gave him powerplay time last season - using him as a defensive type, but has had good metrics.

But Loui has proven to be an effective two-way winger all his career and has played best with a creative center. (krejci, richards now EP), so I think it's wise to have a two-way vet on EP's wing for now.

And Goldy has always shown flashes of brilliance, but he was playing with Sutter last year who can't pass worth shit, and Igor Larionov the chess master got him going this offseason, Goldy + Petey have shown immediate chemistry which bodes well for the team moving forward.

Anyways yeah EP is a rising superstar without a question, even he has shown to quickly improve in a number of areas including faceoffs, he's actually #2 behind Horvat in FaceOff Winning % @ 54.5%, with Bo @ 59.7%!
If Eriksson was making Gagner money he'd be gone as well, which means he doesn't really deserve to be here. Green is just trying to kick-start him, but if he doesn't start producing soon (yeah, I saw his screen on the EP goal) then I'd rather someone like Virts (the future, not the past) move up the line-up. Right now Jake is just a one-man show; he needs a passer just like Goldy did! He could conceivably be Petterson's Bertuzzi.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

SKYO wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:58 pm Cherry a little harsh on Goldy and Eriksson(whom scored with Bruins: 63pts | Stars: 71pts, 73pts, 71pts, 63pts respectively), sure he's getting up there in age and is a bit banged up since he got here and coach green/brown rarely gave him powerplay time last season - using him as a defensive type, but has had good metrics.

A little harsh sure, but my opinion is Goldobin and Eriksson would not be effective this year if their centre were Horvat, Hank or Sutter. They’d be the same ineffective players we saw last season. Pettersson is the straw stirring this drink. He looks like one of those rare talents that brings the best out of his linemates.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well imo it's good we have wingers that can at least keep up with petey, notably goldy with his skills.

There were a lot of years we had trash wingers with decent centers, and then we had ferrari wingers in bure/mogilny with trash centers.

So it's good we have some complimentary wingers to play in our top 6.

Ahh who cares lol, fucking love Pettersson and his superstar skills! Was wondering if we could ever have a top 2 dynamo center 1,2 punch and then we have Gaudette to complete the hattrick in the top 3 centers for the long haul.

Now as Cornuck knows, how about a #1Dman?? aha
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Some day, Skyo...... Some day...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:54 pm Some day, Skyo...... Some day...
Could be in the year 2020 - TRYAMKIN
“I will think [of returning to the NHL] when my current contract with Avtomobilist ends, if I will be needed there, if I prove my game, that they would like to offer me a contract,” said Tryamkin in a Russian-language interview last month. “I’m not closing the page with the NHL, but it’s not 100 percent.”

Not only is Tryamkin keeping the door open, he has kept in touch with former teammate and countryman Nikolay Goldobin, as he watches the Canucks from afar.

“I watch the NHL games, first of all, the games of Vancouver,” Tryamkin said. “The time difference is 12 hours, so I wake up before practice to turn on the games, it is interesting to observe how the team is developing. I keep track.”

He’s watching, so they’d better be on their best behaviour.

“I’m in touch with Nikolay Goldobin, he calls me, we keep in touch. He proved he can play well, I’m happy for him.
Hey if Nichushkin can came back after two years in the KHL, even Kovalchuk, it's not impossible for Tramz to come back!

Groot is the all-time best chance at the Canucks getting someone who has #1 dman potential currently, imo the team should do everything in its power to help persuade him to come back, it helps Goldy is playing awesome, the team just has to add a top 4 right side RUSSIAN dman to help a bit, as every little move helps.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Maybe it never happens and we use what we got now or in the pipeline ?
start off with TANEV! Edler, then Julovi, Hughes, and Gudbranson, Pouliot next year ?
Add Tryamekin 2020 ? Defence by committee !
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Seriously SKYO? Hughes is our best chance at a #1 innit?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Tiger wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:02 am
Maybe it never happens and we use what we got now or in the pipeline ?
start off with TANEV! Edler, then Julovi, Hughes, and Gudbranson, Pouliot next year ?
Add Tryamekin 2020 ? Defence by committee !
Geez Tigger... I was only trying to keep the poor guy off suicide watch.

Hughes could be that guy - but with our window opening soon, we best hope he's ready soon.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

SKYO wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:52 pm So it's good we have some complimentary wingers to play in our top 6.
I'm pretty sure they are all getting paid. :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What is Horvat? He sucks on the PK, not a set up man type centre, likes to bust down the wing and drive the net like a winger. He really isn’t your typical centre. I’m confused by Horvat, what is he?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:04 pm What is Horvat? He sucks on the PK, not a set up man type centre, likes to bust down the wing and drive the net like a winger. He really isn’t your typical centre. I’m confused by Horvat, what is he?
On the block when we draft Jack Hughes
If you need air...call it in