OOTS 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: OOTS 2018-2019

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Topper wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:11 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 pm
rats19 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:59 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:57 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:40 pm I see the EK delusion is still reigning supreme around here.
It's a pleasant fantasy.

I'm on board until that bubble inevitably bursts.

I will say though, should the lotto balls (or Bettman) favour us and we snag the 1st pick (fantasy on top of fantasy), I think the former fantasy may become a reality.
CYJFI

Can you just fucking imagine
DTD

Dare To Dream.

:lol:
.... and Caroline Buchanan just became single
She wants you. You know she does.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:21 pm .
Do you think these UFA are looking for up and comers, or a chance to win now with a core of similarly-aged players?
Tavares signed with a team with a younger core. So did Hossa. That's just the nature of being a ufa - if you move to team you think is a contender, you will be a veteran.
Dallas is a playoff team with some star forwards and good goaltending and some nice pieces on D with Klingberg and Heiskanen. There’s also the great income tax situation and climate.
Income tax is a biggy, and will put an extra, what,-$16 mil in his pocket over the next 7 years?

But I do believe a guy who's been through what EK went through with the sens and Hoffman will look at the team culture. I think the culture is likely shit in Dallas, a view apparently shared by their owner and their. president.
Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:25 pm
It will be an interesting off season but my money says he stays put and gets paid to stay in SJS.
I dunno Wids, if he was gonna sign there, he would have already. If he wants to be paid, it won't be where he's playing second fiddle behind the only superior offensive Dman in the league.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:38 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:21 pm .
Do you think these UFA are looking for up and comers, or a chance to win now with a core of similarly-aged players?
Tavares signed with a team with a younger core. So did Hossa. That's just the nature of being a ufa - if you move to team you think is a contender, you will be a veteran.
Most players are veterans when they hit Free Agency. Karlsson will be 29 in May. Looking at the Dallas roster, he fits in with Benn (will be 30 this summer) and Seguin (27). They aren't an exceptionally old team (about a year older than Vancouver). You'd have to think that even with a 7-year deal, EK is looking at a 4 year window of "peak capability", and would want to play on a team that was poised to win ASAP.

Tavares in Toronto isn't much different. Sure they're younger, but he also joined a playoff team that he figured could contend immediately. I would look at the Canucks as an "up and coming" team, but there are no guarantees (see Edmonton), and I wager many UFA would be apprehensive about possibly spending 1-3 years just trying to get to the playoffs, instead of joining a playoff-ready team.
ESQ wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:38 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:21 pm Dallas is a playoff team with some star forwards and good goaltending and some nice pieces on D with Klingberg and Heiskanen. There’s also the great income tax situation and climate.
Income tax is a biggy, and will put an extra, what,-$16 mil in his pocket over the next 7 years?
Yeah I'm not sure how reliable the various calculators are, as I assume these guys retain high-price tax lawyers, but from what I've seen an $11M deal would be worth (take home) in various cities:

Dallas $6.965M
NYR $5.59M
San Jose $5.527M
Vancouver $5.56M

The teams with the best tax rate (tied) are Dallas, Vegas, Nashville, Florida, Tampa. So yeah, on a 7 year deal EK could take home $10M playing in one of those cities instead of Vancouver.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:54 am Most players are veterans when they hit Free Agency. Karlsson will be 29 in May. Looking at the Dallas roster, he fits in with Benn (will be 30 this summer) and Seguin (27). They aren't an exceptionally old team (about a year older than Vancouver). You'd have to think that even with a 7-year deal, EK is looking at a 4 year window of "peak capability", and would want to play on a team that was poised to win ASAP.
WHOA

Canucks core is almost a decade younger than that of Dallas!

ESQ did say "young core" right?

About that difference in take-home pay for an NHLer depending on the state

... it's a factor, but not near as much as a lot of people seem to think.

NHLers get taxed at the higher rates when they're on the road in the higher rate states.

(conversely, players for high-rate teams lose less to taxes when they're visiting the low-rate states)

I saw a chart on it a few months back, you might find it if you google...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:20 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:54 am Most players are veterans when they hit Free Agency. Karlsson will be 29 in May. Looking at the Dallas roster, he fits in with Benn (will be 30 this summer) and Seguin (27). They aren't an exceptionally old team (about a year older than Vancouver). You'd have to think that even with a 7-year deal, EK is looking at a 4 year window of "peak capability", and would want to play on a team that was poised to win ASAP.
WHOA

Canucks core is almost a decade younger than that of Dallas!

ESQ did say "young core" right?
He did, I just don’t think it matters a whole lot to a 29 year old that will be thinking of joining a core of players his own age, at least not as much as winning.

EK is probably signing a 7 year deal. He can’t possibly know what the core will look beyond the first couple seasons. Where was the Canucks core 4 years ago?