OOTS 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: OOTS 2018-2019

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 pm Breaking news! The Oilers are losing tonight!

Island Nucklehead, your thoughts?
They suck. Their former manager(s) was worse than our current one. They have two of the best players in the league, and are still managing to be an absolute dumpster fire.

And they’ve won one less game then we have.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:43 am
SKYO wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:33 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 pm Breaking news! The Oilers are losing tonight!

Island Nucklehead, your thoughts?
Bob McKenzie:
The Edmonton thing is epic, because it's 13 years. I mean, one playoff season in 13 years, and that includes four years of Connor McDavid.

It's almost frightful to think about.
And Sabres 8 years with no playoffs, both tank gods in their franchises, search up TANK and you'll find the Oilers and Sabres as examples.

I mean the canucks are just ending their 5th year under Benning, 4 with NMC Sedins, and they got more points this season than both of those teams.

And the Canucks are only going to get better from here on out, we're progressing in the right direction, JB low-key silently adding decent depth to surround his new core of Petey, Boeser, Horvat, Gaudette, Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, Demko, DiPietro.

But this offseason is going to be a hard test for JB to add another sniper up front & a right dman booming shot to help out the team moving forward, playoffs are everything next year for this franchise!
I completely agree with you on the state of the Canucks when it comes to their rebuild. They have a great core group going forward and they will have a fairly high draft pick this season. Also, they can add a UFA or two and they will be a playoff team next season. Hell, in another year, you might be able to entice McDavid when he has had his fill with the Oilers and demands a trade :roll: :mex:
Yeah even Burke, McKenzie & Ferraro are all saying the same thing now about the Canucks - got a good young group to work with now and are going to get better from here on out - something to that effect.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jets falling a part.
But the numbers for Winnipeg’s top-nine forwards are gruesome. Stars like Blake Wheeler, Patrik Laine and Mark Scheifele have seen their numbers absolutely crater. I can’t express enough how rare it is to find this degree of substandard performance with high-end players.

The Jets are only getting about 43 per cent of the scoring chances with their best players on the ice, and the two skaters who are probably the most critical in determining how successful Winnipeg will be over the next few weeks – the aforementioned Scheifele and Laine – are the two that are bleeding the most.

So what broke Winnipeg? That’s the million-dollar question and really would require comprehensive, dedicated video review.

To my eye, one of the things this Jets team has struggled with increasingly over the second half of the season is their ability to exit the defensive zone with control. It seems that the forwards are rarely in position for clean exit passes from the blueline, which forces the defence to carry out or throw the puck off the boards into the neutral zone. Neither option is truly preferable. What tends to happen is the opponent retrieves a loose puck and restarts an attacking sequence. Not only does this lead to increased defensive zone time, but it mitigates the offensive firepower in the Winnipeg lineup.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-jets-appear-fund ... -1.1285071
Good observation on Jets lack of controlled exits, why it's imperative to have more talent on defense, see the best teams have at least 2 if not 3 quality scoring dmen with a couple two-way dmen and a pure defensive dman or two.

Canucks currently have a few two-way dmen in Edler, Hutton and Stecher, their only scoring QB type is Hughes a young talented rookie, that situation needs to be rectified via trade or UFA after the Canucks season is done.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:46 pm Jets falling a part.
But the numbers for Winnipeg’s top-nine forwards are gruesome. Stars like Blake Wheeler, Patrik Laine and Mark Scheifele have seen their numbers absolutely crater. I can’t express enough how rare it is to find this degree of substandard performance with high-end players.

The Jets are only getting about 43 per cent of the scoring chances with their best players on the ice, and the two skaters who are probably the most critical in determining how successful Winnipeg will be over the next few weeks – the aforementioned Scheifele and Laine – are the two that are bleeding the most.

So what broke Winnipeg? That’s the million-dollar question and really would require comprehensive, dedicated video review.

To my eye, one of the things this Jets team has struggled with increasingly over the second half of the season is their ability to exit the defensive zone with control. It seems that the forwards are rarely in position for clean exit passes from the blueline, which forces the defence to carry out or throw the puck off the boards into the neutral zone. Neither option is truly preferable. What tends to happen is the opponent retrieves a loose puck and restarts an attacking sequence. Not only does this lead to increased defensive zone time, but it mitigates the offensive firepower in the Winnipeg lineup.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-jets-appear-fund ... -1.1285071
Good observation on Jets lack of controlled exits, why it's imperative to have more talent on defense, see the best teams have at least 2 if not 3 quality scoring dmen with a couple two-way dmen and a pure defensive dman or two.

Canucks currently have a few two-way dmen in Edler, Hutton and Stecher, their only scoring QB type is Hughes a young talented rookie, that situation needs to be rectified via trade or UFA after the Canucks season is done.
Good stuff you mined from tsn.

I see the same issues in canuckland. Controlled zone exits. We are like a washing machine of turnovers leaving the zone... How fucking effective can any team we play be when their d pinches up? It must be like in the 80% range on us turning it over on a breakout
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:11 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:46 pm Good observation on Jets lack of controlled exits, why it's imperative to have more talent on defense, see the best teams have at least 2 if not 3 quality scoring dmen with a couple two-way dmen and a pure defensive dman or two.

Good stuff you mined from tsn.

I see the same issues in canuckland. Controlled zone exits. We are like a washing machine of turnovers leaving the zone... How fucking effective can any team we play be when their d pinches up? It must be like in the 80% range on us turning it over on a breakout
All the more reason to sign Karl...aw nvm lol
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:57 am
If he does go to bid. How high do you go?
12 13 even 14? I guess I'm asking if you have a line in the sand?
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

micky107 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:01 pm
I got a sneaking suspicion it won't be much more than Drew Doughty's contract, $11M-$11.5M AAV, the .5 just so he one ups DD to become the highest paid dman in the league. His signing bonus alone he & his family could live off of for the rest of their lives lol, let alone his yearly salary during his 7yrs to setup his great, great grandchildren's lives.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:21 pm Image
Not into smoking but like the message.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Reefer: the conscience of CC, lol
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:51 pm Reefer: the conscience of CC, lol
Reefer needs a rip off the ripper
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:34 pm
micky107 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:01 pm
I got a sneaking suspicion it won't be much more than Drew Doughty's contract, $11M-$11.5M AAV, the .5 just so he one ups DD to become the highest paid dman in the league. His signing bonus alone he & his family could live off of for the rest of their lives lol, let alone his yearly salary during his 7yrs to setup his great, great grandchildren's lives.
This injury is hurting his market value, unless he has a huge postseason he could wind up under $10 mil.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If Anaheim wins their last game tonight and we lose our last game tomorrow the records will be tied

35 wings, 37 losses, 10 wins each. Who wins this tie break in the standings?

Chicago wins tonight and we can't catch them. We will tie Philly if we tomorrow and Philly loses tomorrow but Flyers will end up with more wins if we tie them. The only possible change is if Anaheim wins tonight and we lose tomorrow???
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:27 pm If Anaheim wins their last game tonight and we lose our last game tomorrow the records will be tied

35 wings, 37 losses, 10 wins each. Who wins this tie break in the standings?

Chicago wins tonight and we can't catch them. We will tie Philly if we tomorrow and Philly loses tomorrow but Flyers will end up with more wins if we tie them. The only possible change is if Anaheim wins tonight and we lose tomorrow???
Ducks on ROW
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:33 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:51 pm Reefer: the conscience of CC, lol
Reefer needs a rip off the ripper
Then a dash up the 'ol gash