Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm why is it only these two outfits (Vancouver and Ottawa) that are constantly talked about ?
Because Melnyk very obviously is a cheap lunatic and Canuck fans can't handle a rebuild...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:26 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:23 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:43 pm
theman wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:15 pm Loui Eriksson already out with leg injury, apparently 'week to week.'
Perfect, let the fake injuries pile up keep young guys playing
Geez who could have seen that coming...
...good thing JB signed veteran forwards on July 1...
I think it’s good that two veterans are out for a bit. It gives the team time to take a look a a few kids. Maybe another one or two will get nicked up in the next week or so.
When you got generous owners smart to take advantage of that. Botch had an interesting take in his last article on the athletic. He was actually being pro ownership and saying we’ve heard lindens side of the story but the ownership/management side of the story will change opinion of them.

Here’s an excerpt
“He made the Aquilinis relatable when he revealed what Francesco told him during training camp about why he wants to win sooner than later.

“When I said to him I have a family member who is 72 years old and I want him to see a Cup in Vancouver before he dies, he said ‘My father is 82 years old (he’s really 85) and I want to bring a Cup to Vancouver when he is still alive,'” Uncle said.

Aquilini could win over a significant chunk of the market if he ever said that publicly.

In all honesty, the Uncle scoop feels significant. Part of me believes we could look back at it as one of the turning points in how some view what happened this summer in Rogers Arena.

Linden and his supporters have done an effective job in getting his side of the story out. He’s texted media. His friends have texted media.

But there is another side to it. I think public perception of Linden’s firing is going to change a little bit when some of the other side starts coming out, and it will”
That’s all well and good, the aquilinis playing god father 4 but it’s generally understood that are no shortcuts to a Stanley cup. Especially in this NHL. free agents are old a burned out. Trades require value for value. All that’s left is draft and develop and patience.

Linden’s story seemed about draft and develop. The Don’s about finding a short cut...

The story speaks for itself
UMMMM... Dick's point was that "the story" may not be entirely accurate.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:28 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm why is it only these two outfits (Vancouver and Ottawa) that are constantly talked about ?
Because Melnyk very obviously is a cheap lunatic and Canuck fans can't handle a rebuild...
A certain group of management, owners and fans can’t handle a rebuild, you’re correct. You are among that group. You want to flip picks for other teams washed out prospects or youngish non core players that are due a raise. This group is IGC.....
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

The way this rebuild is shaking out offers this long suffering fan some hope. The Swede looks good if tentative, and you can easily see potential in Dahlen. The pick of Hughes may prove to be a real winner but it all starts and ends with Horvat. The one real gift Mike Gillis left us. Let's play hockey.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm Again.... rooster why is it only these two outfits (Vancouver and Ottawa) that are constantly talked about ? I don’t hear much about Katz meddling since Chia got there. The Jets and Leaves seem to be under solid ownership and other than Murray Edwards is a cheap cunt and the city council and he can’t get a deal done on an arena... I think the Flames group is fine.

If you are fine with the owner wanting to makes trades or interfere in them... keep on keepin on. Nothing I say will convince you
The Katz example is a poor one. There was plenty about him meddling and wanting the old boys club ownership group right up until the got McDavid. 3 years of The Chosen One and a single round of playoff hockey has made everyone completely forget how abysmal the ownership and management group was in Coilerville.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 pm
A certain group of management, owners and fans can’t handle a rebuild, you’re correct. You are among that group. You want to flip picks for other teams washed out prospects or youngish non core players that are due a raise. This group is IGC.....
Oh do I now? :lol:

Admit it Blob, you've been pissing + moaning since the rebuild began, you can't handle it bro...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

rikster wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:38 pm
So when ownership tells Gilllis to hire Torterella cause he’s Italian that’s normal?
Never heard that before...

Assuming that its accurate, the context that the team was too laissez faire and needed a kick in the rear from a fiery coach like Torts would make sense...

I welcomed the move at the time and while it didn't work out in Vancouver, it's worked out pretty good in Columbus and Tampa before that so I'm sure we can agree that he is a good coach...

Take care...

‘‘Tis true. I heard from a couple of sources a couple of weeks before it happened. They said if the NYR did not make it to the SCF they were firing Torts, his benching Richards and all in the playoffs. I was also told AV was being let go. Once the Rangers were eliminated we fired AV and shortly thereafter Torts was hired. When I heard it I thought it was a joke. I’m sure Doc can find all the posts.

They had already spoken to the Rangers and I think Sather, maybe not can’t remember, and it was all lined up.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:22 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 pm
Oh do I now? :lol:

Admit it Blob, you've been pissing + moaning since the rebuild began, you can't handle it bro...
Yep. You loved the Vey trade, the Sutter trade, Pedan, Gudbranson debacle etc.

You sir can’t WAIT for a draft pick to develop. YOU NEED instant gratification.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

While Hutton looks more fit and quick he's still making some brutal plays on O and D. I had such high hopes for him to become at least a 30 point D and now he can't evsn hit boeser or Petterson with a simple one time pass. Then there's the meltdown on the Rattie play. Its like this guy needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm
So when ownership tells Gilllis to hire Torterella cause he’s Italian that’s normal?

Assuming that its accurate, the context that the team was too laissez faire and needed a kick in the rear from a fiery coach like Torts would make sense...

I welcomed the move at the time and while it didn't work out in Vancouver, it's worked out pretty good in Columbus and Tampa before that so I'm sure we can agree that he is a good coach...

Take care...

‘‘Tis true. I heard from a couple of sources a couple of weeks before it happened. They said if the NYR did not make it to the SCF they were firing Torts, his benching Richards and all in the playoffs. I was also told AV was being let go. Once the Rangers were eliminated we fired AV and shortly thereafter Torts was hired. When I heard it I thought it was a joke. I’m sure Doc can find all the posts.

They had already spoken to the Rangers and I think Sather, maybe not can’t remember, and it was all lined up.
Not sure what this adds to the conversation unless you think its unusual in any way in any business....

Fans at some point have to understand that hockey isn't a game, its a billion dollar business and things like poaching goes on just like it does in every other business....

It mirrors the challenges facing most other businesses today which is a shortage of skilled workers and managers and the head hunter industry is a lucrative business to be in....

To suggest that Torts was hired only because he is Italian would be weird, maybe weirder if you believe it....

Take care....
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Mëds wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:14 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm Again.... rooster why is it only these two outfits (Vancouver and Ottawa) that are constantly talked about ? I don’t hear much about Katz meddling since Chia got there. The Jets and Leaves seem to be under solid ownership and other than Murray Edwards is a cheap cunt and the city council and he can’t get a deal done on an arena... I think the Flames group is fine.

If you are fine with the owner wanting to makes trades or interfere in them... keep on keepin on. Nothing I say will convince you
The Katz example is a poor one. There was plenty about him meddling and wanting the old boys club ownership group right up until the got McDavid. 3 years of The Chosen One and a single round of playoff hockey has made everyone completely forget how abysmal the ownership and management group was in Coilerville.
The yeah buts are starting to add up Blob...lol

Take care....
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rikster wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:40 am
Mëds wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:14 pm

The yeah buts are starting to add up Blob...lol

Take care....
Not really.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

rikster wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:31 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Take care...

Not sure what this adds to the conversation unless you think its unusual in any way in any business....

Fans at some point have to understand that hockey isn't a game, its a billion dollar business and things like poaching goes on just like it does in every other business....

It mirrors the challenges facing most other businesses today which is a shortage of skilled workers and managers and the head hunter industry is a lucrative business to be in....

To suggest that Torts was hired only because he is Italian would be weird, maybe weirder if you believe it....

Take care....
You said you never heard it before but I was pointing out it has been widely discussed on this board even before it happened.

I don’t think anyone said he was hired only because he was Italian.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Apparently all the owners hire coaches, overturn trades, demand that managers make certain trades.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:15 am Apparently all the owners hire coaches, overturn trades, demand that managers make certain trades.
I've heard it said that it's a challenge for many NHL GMs. Royal Dude's interpretation of events points to what seems like quite a bit of interference, but that might still only be par for the course. I suppose the question is whether any given Canucks GM's challenges in dealing with the Little Eagles are only NHL average, or significantly worse.

Dave Nonis worked in enough NHL front offices to have some perspective, but it's probably considered unprofessional to talk about it while you're still in the business. Insight into this question might make his biography worth reading when he retires.

Trouble for Canucks fans is that, while it remains possible that Benning is a hockey drafting genius, he hasn't publicly displayed any signs that genius would extend to jollying along twitchy owners.