Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Post by BladesofSteel »

Cuts expected tomorrow.

Spit-ballin':

Lind, Brisebois, Hamilton, Bancks, MDP, Boucher, Kulbakov, MacEwen
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Unless you are gifted a shortcut by the league (vegas)
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:28 pm Cuts expected tomorrow.

Spit-ballin':

Of all those Brisebios has been the most impressive, the kid deserves a longer look IMO
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:37 am
BladesofSteel wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:28 pm Cuts expected tomorrow.

Spit-ballin':

Of all those Brisebios has been the most impressive, the kid deserves a longer look IMO
The coaching staff was so impressed they gave him 9 minutes of ice time
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You don’t like the camp Brisebios is having. He looks like a future Tanev.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:07 am You don’t like the camp Brisebios is having. He looks like a future Tanev.
I didn’t watch in Whistler. Did you ? I’ve watched him play a few shifts... fairly uneventful which I guess is a good thing. I don’t see a future Chris Tanev though.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:18 am
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:07 am You don’t like the camp Brisebios is having. He looks like a future Tanev.
I didn’t watch in Whistler. Did you ? I’ve watched him play a few shifts... fairly uneventful which I guess is a good thing. I don’t see a future Chris Tanev though.
Great skater, excellent passer, moves the puck well, always has his head up when with the puck and retrieving it, smart player, understands positioning. He’s a modern day quick puck moving Defenceman. You’re not seeing positives? Just pure hell at high nooner at the wild duck inn drowning in your half empty pint glass of shite Rickards Red?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:47 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:23 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:43 pm
theman wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:15 pm Loui Eriksson already out with leg injury, apparently 'week to week.'
Perfect, let the fake injuries pile up keep young guys playing
Geez who could have seen that coming...
...good thing JB signed veteran forwards on July 1...
I think it’s good that two veterans are out for a bit. It gives the team time to take a look a a few kids. Maybe another one or two will get nicked up in the next week or so.
When you got generous owners smart to take advantage of that. Botch had an interesting take in his last article on the athletic. He was actually being pro ownership and saying we’ve heard lindens side of the story but the ownership/management side of the story will change opinion of them.

Here’s an excerpt
“He made the Aquilinis relatable when he revealed what Francesco told him during training camp about why he wants to win sooner than later.

“When I said to him I have a family member who is 72 years old and I want him to see a Cup in Vancouver before he dies, he said ‘My father is 82 years old (he’s really 85) and I want to bring a Cup to Vancouver when he is still alive,'” Uncle said.

Aquilini could win over a significant chunk of the market if he ever said that publicly.

In all honesty, the Uncle scoop feels significant. Part of me believes we could look back at it as one of the turning points in how some view what happened this summer in Rogers Arena.

Linden and his supporters have done an effective job in getting his side of the story out. He’s texted media. His friends have texted media.

But there is another side to it. I think public perception of Linden’s firing is going to change a little bit when some of the other side starts coming out, and it will”
I honestly don’t give a shit about Linden or why he got the boot. I care even less about Aquilini and think he is one of the poorer owners in the league. I am happy they aren’t afraid to scratch a cheque but they should stay the hell out of the operations of the team. It would be nice if they could hire a good strong president who has the testicles to tell them to fuck off. A good Pres with a managerial background could let Elmer do his thing with the drafting and signing of young prospects. Unfortunately these guys can’t keep their hands out of day to day operations
I agree with Blob, the owners meddling have completely turned this organization one of the most confused organizations in the league, they need to let their “hockey people” they hire go their job.

Their impatience is what has hurt this team the most. They wanted Nonis to sell 1st round pick, top young prospect and a top young player for veterans out of Florida at the deadline. Nonis says no - “fired!”. Mike Gillis says to the Aquilini’s “we need to start a rebuild” - “fired!”

Hired a Yes Man in Linden who manages to convince them the ridiculous “retool on the fly” knowing their history with GM’s wanting to rebuild and rebuild properly, now we’ve all seen how smoothly that’s gone. Trevor preaches patience “fired!”

If anyone cannot see how the Aqualini’s roll and how they the owners have completely bumbled this team to where they are now is beyond me. Benning is just holding on for dear life working for idiots

If this is truly about wanting Daddy to see the Canucks win a cup before he dies? Holy fuck are we trouble
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

There is NO confirmed proof or anything, other than speculation. None.
It was first reported as amicable.
Until I hear something else from one, or all, of the THREE principals, TL, JB, FA, it means nadda to me.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Agreed RD, everyone in Vancouver wants the Canucks to win, their way is the wrong way and there should have been a 5 year plan and have it stuck too. Not sure Linden's way is so cannot assume it is the right one but want to see a plan where players get their 9 games up on the big league so they learn how it is like, then back to Utica to work on the areas needed so they are ready when called up. Want to see Green utilize the youth correctly and not bench them for mistakes, it is not just management it is also the Coaches being on the same page.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I agree with Blob, the owners meddling have completely turned this organization one of the most confused organizations in the league, they need to let their “hockey people” they hire go their job.
You guys are kidding, right?

'Cause you can't be so naive as to not understand that every owner of any business will get involved when its underperforming...

Losing as a way to have a chance to win years down the road goes against everything that makes a person successful so naturally ownership or management who buy into this plan will have second thoughts and fall off the wagon from time to time...

Is 5 years enough time to rebuild the team into a serious contender?

If so that means for 410 games over the course of 1,825 days you're to sit back and bite your tongue while attendance dwindles because many fans aren't willing to be patient for the rebuild to run its course...

Over the course of those 1,825 days your team is irrelevant around the league...

Simple, right?

Take some time and go around the league and listen or read the same complaint being levied against any team that is not winning and then tell us that the Nucks are unique...

The way I look at it if ownership didn't interfere from time to time I'd either be worried or I'd have a big smile on my face because that would mean one of two things....either ownership is looking to sell or the team is once again a serious contender...

Take care...
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:45 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:47 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:23 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:43 pm
theman wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:15 pm Loui Eriksson already out with leg injury, apparently 'week to week.'
Perfect, let the fake injuries pile up keep young guys playing
Geez who could have seen that coming...
...good thing JB signed veteran forwards on July 1...
I think it’s good that two veterans are out for a bit. It gives the team time to take a look a a few kids. Maybe another one or two will get nicked up in the next week or so.
When you got generous owners smart to take advantage of that. Botch had an interesting take in his last article on the athletic. He was actually being pro ownership and saying we’ve heard lindens side of the story but the ownership/management side of the story will change opinion of them.

Here’s an excerpt
“He made the Aquilinis relatable when he revealed what Francesco told him during training camp about why he wants to win sooner than later.

“When I said to him I have a family member who is 72 years old and I want him to see a Cup in Vancouver before he dies, he said ‘My father is 82 years old (he’s really 85) and I want to bring a Cup to Vancouver when he is still alive,'” Uncle said.

Aquilini could win over a significant chunk of the market if he ever said that publicly.

In all honesty, the Uncle scoop feels significant. Part of me believes we could look back at it as one of the turning points in how some view what happened this summer in Rogers Arena.

Linden and his supporters have done an effective job in getting his side of the story out. He’s texted media. His friends have texted media.

But there is another side to it. I think public perception of Linden’s firing is going to change a little bit when some of the other side starts coming out, and it will”
I honestly don’t give a shit about Linden or why he got the boot. I care even less about Aquilini and think he is one of the poorer owners in the league. I am happy they aren’t afraid to scratch a cheque but they should stay the hell out of the operations of the team. It would be nice if they could hire a good strong president who has the testicles to tell them to fuck off. A good Pres with a managerial background could let Elmer do his thing with the drafting and signing of young prospects. Unfortunately these guys can’t keep their hands out of day to day operations
Or maybe, just maybe, it the fanbase that is the most confused.

How much ink has been spilled in the media, hours of talk-radio eaten up, and handwringing posts written on this Board about the Canucks signing veterans. About there being "no room" for kids on the team.

Maybe the organization sees that (a) injuries are inevitable, (b) Vancouver always leads the league in man-games lost to injury, and (c) they finally have waivers-exempt prospects that can go up and down as people get injured.

What I'm seeing is a team that has signed veteran UFAs, and will still have room for kids due to injury. To me, that's the ideal situation. It gives the kids exposure to the NHL, without fully dumping them in the pressure cooker.

I'm not going so far as to say this was a genius move to acquire forward depth, because its NHL GMing 101.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

rikster wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:16 am

'Cause you can't be so naive as to not understand that every owner of any business will get involved when its underperforming...

Losing as a way to have a chance to win years down the road goes against everything that makes a person successful so naturally ownership or management who buy into this plan will have second thoughts and fall off the wagon from time to time...

If so that means for 410 games over the course of 1,825 days you're to sit back and bite your tongue while attendance dwindles because many fans aren't willing to be patient for the rebuild to run its course...

Over the course of those 1,825 days your team is irrelevant around the league...

Simple, right?

Take some time and go around the league and listen or read the same complaint being levied against any team that is not winning and then tell us that the Nucks are unique...

The way I look at it if ownership didn't interfere from time to time I'd either be worried or I'd have a big smile on my face because that would mean one of two things....either ownership is looking to sell or the team is once again a serious contender...

Take care...
It is the way ownership interfered, look at the signing of LE as a prime example, may the team was under performing because of their interference. We are not saying they should not be involved but it seems they like to change the goal posts instead of doing it right the first time.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rikster wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:16 am

Simple, right?

Take care...
So every owner meddles as much as the Little Eagles and Eugene Melnyk? Yet it is only these two ownership groups that are talked about constantly throughout the league in a real negative fashion ? Very interesting theory.

And of course we have to get the obligatory “ the fans aren’t patient enough for a rebuild” comment in there.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

8 more players cut:

Brisebois!!!
Gadjovich
Jasek
Lind
MacEwen
Bachman
Kero
Kulbakov
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!