2019 UFA

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 UFA

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:43 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:49 am Yeah I think that's pretty much the point that UW made there about the "x-factor" free agents.

The difference between a draft pick and a free agent is that the free agent steps in and can play at the NHL level now.

The Canucks are at the point in the rebuild where meaningful games in March are critical. The new core is forming, many of the pieces are settling in, but unless we want to be Edmonton 2.0 we need to actually go into that free agent pool and put some talented veteran players in the mix with Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat.

We've "homegrown" a goaltender in Markstrom who looks like he's finally the real deal, and because he hit his stride here and was given the opportunity to grow through failures, even if his current play remains status quo for him next year we are likely to see him give Vancouver a legit discount next spring (Swedes seem to be pretty loyal.....I'll give them that Per :P ).

We do NOT have the pieces on the roster or in the system to put a reliable NHL blueline on the ice next year.

Edler and Hutton are the only legit top-4 guys we have that we should go forward with, and both need new contracts this summer. Hutton hasn't proven anything though, he's had two good NHL seasons, both in contract years.

Tanev should be traded. His durability is too much of a question mark, and he is $4.5M of cap space that would get us a worthwhile return that comes "cap free".

Stecher is not a top-4 guy. If he can be given a LS partner who can play 15+ min and bring some own-zone smarts and muscle without a propensity for turnovers and useless off-the-glass "transition passes" then he's serviceable on the 3rd pairing and can step up when needed, but he's not a guy that I want as a regular in the top-4, and he's not a guy that you put a rookie defenseman with. Given the right trade I would still move on.

Hughes and Juolevi may not even be ready for the big time. We can't bank on a couple of kids who have yet to suit up for a regular season game in the NHL.

Our trade chips that we should be willing to part with.....

Tanev, Sutter, Eriksson, Spooner, and Baertschi.

We aren't going to address the right-side D spot in a trade involving Tanev. That's just not a hockey trade, RS for RS? Only happens when the team wanting to upgrade finds a team that has extra and pays out a good prospect or pick. Not an option here.

The other 4 names aren't going to get us a top-4 RS blueliner unless they too are part of a package where we send out picks and/or prospects.....which would be stupid at this point.

So.....

Edler - _______
Hutton - _______
______ - Stecher

We have 3 spots that badly need to be filled with players who can perform at a level that actually lets our young leaders win games.

IF we can get out from under $10M of contracts, then target Karlsson AND Myers. Bring in both. The PP and PK are instantly improved. Our 5-on-5 game takes a massive step forward because suddenly we can defend, transition, and attack, with 2/3 of our pairings, maybe all of them depending who lands with Stecher in this scenario.

Where do you suggest we go to get those badly needed spots, the draft? Utica?

Or is the master plan to toil in perpetuity and grow up a core after core of perennial losers like the Oilers have for the better part of two decades?
Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Hughes - Tryamkin

With LS Juolevi and RS Woo likely ready within one to two years.

Not sure why you trade Tanev other than to justify your Karlsson AND Myers fantasy (zero chance btw).

Also both will require NMCs... meaning you'd have to protect them in the expansion draft.

In the expansion draft there's a good chance we'll want to protect Juolevi + Tryamkin + one other.

Also you are the only fan in Canuckdom who isn't penciling Hughes into the top 6 next year.
There’s a spot for Hughes. He has to earn it.

You keep pencilling Tryamkin in. It’s time for an avatar bet Doc.

I’m saying Tryamkin will NOT be on the Canucks next season. We will go until Dec 31? Loser runs with whatever avatar the winner picks for the balance of the season.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tryamkin couldn’t get out of here fast enough.

It would be wonderful if he returned but I can’t see it happening.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:16 pm Tryamkin couldn’t get out of here fast enough.

The Redwood forest - Treeamkin will returneth!!!

Great draft pick by Benning!!!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Hughes - Tryamkin

Not sure why you trade Tanev other than to justify your Karlsson AND Myers fantasy (zero chance btw).

Also both will require NMCs... meaning you'd have to protect them in the expansion draft.

In the expansion draft there's a good chance we'll want to protect Juolevi + Tryamkin + one other.

Also you are the only fan in Canuckdom who isn't penciling Hughes into the top 6 next year.
So your proposal is to basically go with the same 4 d as we have this year, a rookie and a Russian who does not want to be here AND you expect this team to make the playoffs.

Wow - you need to put a sign about not smoking pot near the fresh air intake at your home and place of work because that is a lot of "something" you have been breathing. :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex:

lol seriously???
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:48 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:21 am
SKYO wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:32 am Boston won the Cup thanks to overspending on Chara, the Ducks won their Cup in part by spending $$$ on Niedermayer.

Don't be afraid to spend big bucks on Norris caliber dmen, it's quite fucking simple really.
Normally I do not agree with Skyo's ideas but I am all over this one, but only if they sign at least 1 more D man that is considered top 4. This will automatically make the team better and the skill forwards will see better outlet passes, better decision making from their D. I see the Nucks as a playoff team next year if they do this.

The question is if they can afford this?

With over $10M stuck on the 4th line, how can they do this?

Lastly signing Karlsson will attract better 2nd/3rd line forward to join the team, IMO. Again with JB spending over paying on un effective players it is now impacting them. Who said it was ok for him to over spend now because it would not impact the decisions that the team makes?

Strange your thoughts?
Thanks for asking Mr Reefer.

The short answer is that the team has a massive amount of cap room for the next two seasons.

(more than enough to do as you are fantasizing)

If you require further explanation, please re-read my other posts to you on this matter.

Thank you and have a pleasant evening.

P.S. there is "over $10M stuck on the 4th line" only in that wild imagination of yours. 8-)
Show your math?

Oh wait you can't.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

If Edler and Tanev stay on the team, I think I prefer seeing Hutton and Stecher at 5/6 on the depth chart. I think they're fine as fill-ins in the top-4 when injuries hit, but I wouldn't want to rely on them in a top-4 role (see: this season).

That would require adding at least one UFA, re-signing Edler, and either Tryamkin returns or Hughes passes Stecher on the depth chart quickly.

If Edler and Tanev both go, I don't see any way that Hutton/Stecher get pushed down into more comfortable roles. So you better pray that the UFA additions are (a) better than Edler/Tanev, and (b) way more durable.

At least the Canucks have dmen on the farm (finally!) that they can call up. Sautner and Brisebois have both seen their icetime climb, and I think they've looked decent. Schenn and Biega have also been good for 7/8 guys.

I think unless they can get EK, I'd rather keep Edler, sign one UFA, and think of doing something like what the Raptors are doing with Kawhi Leonard to manage injury risk for Tanev and Edler - e.g. don't play in back-to-backs.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:01 pm There’s a spot for Hughes. He has to earn it.

You keep pencilling Tryamkin in. It’s time for an avatar bet Doc.

I’m saying Tryamkin will NOT be on the Canucks next season. We will go until Dec 31? Loser runs with whatever avatar the winner picks for the balance of the season.
Actually I think this is the first time I've penciled Tryamkin in for next season.

And that was just to get you to think about the possibility.

I consistently say he will very likely return to the NHL by 2020

... and that there is a *possibility* he returns next season.

You're just mad because I pissed all over your wild fantasy. Image

Well now you know how Skyo feels when you piss all over his...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:16 pm Tryamkin couldn’t get out of here fast enough.

Well of course YOU can't see it!

Your agenda compels you to paint everything black.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:55 am
Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:43 pm Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Hughes - Tryamkin

So your proposal is to basically go with the same 4 d as we have this year, a rookie and a Russian who does not want to be here AND you expect this team to make the playoffs.

Wow - you need to put a sign about not smoking pot near the fresh air intake at your home and place of work because that is a lot of "something" you have been breathing. :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex:

lol seriously???
Well Hughes ain't just your average rookie.

And that Russian does want to return, he has said it plenty of late.

Also those "same 4 d" have been fine as top 4 dee.

Most folks believe Hughes will be a great top 4 dee at some point next season

... and I personally believe Tryamkin will be a solid #4 when he returns.

(could be as soon as next season)

That adds up to SIX top-4 dmen! :shock:

So yeah the dee could/should be improved next season... without bringing in a UFA.

Add to that the always improving Brisebois and Sautner, and possibly Chatfield and the depth should be fine.

You and yours constantly bitch about overpaying on all the UFA years on some of those contracts

... but now you and yours are insisting... again... on overpaying again for more UFA years.

IMPO I think y'all need electric shock therapy, and if that doesn't work, it's scalpel time!

:mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: :mex: <-- more smileys than you, I win! Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It sure would be nice to get a peek at what we have in QH. Expectations are at both extreme ends of the spectrum...

What do we have already!
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:56 am
SKYO wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:32 am Boston won the Cup thanks to overspending on Chara, the Ducks won their Cup in part by spending $$$ on Niedermayer.

Don't be afraid to spend big bucks on Norris caliber dmen, it's quite fucking simple really.
Normally I do not agree with Skyo's ideas but I am all over this one, but only if they sign at least 1 more D man that is considered top 4. This will automatically make the team better and the skill forwards will see better outlet passes, better decision making from their D. I see the Nucks as a playoff team next year if they do this.

Lastly signing Karlsson will attract better 2nd/3rd line forward to join the team, IMO. Again with JB spending over paying on un effective players it is now impacting them. Who said it was ok for him to over spend now because it would not impact the decisions that the team makes?

Strange your thoughts?

The short answer is that the team has a massive amount of cap room for the next two seasons.

If you require further explanation, please re-read my other posts to you on this matter.

P.S. there is "over $10M stuck on the 4th line" only in that wild imagination of yours. 8-)
Show your math?

Oh wait you can't.
*knocks on Reefer's forehead*

I asked you to "re-read my other posts" in regards to my math.

I tire of repeating said math, because it always whooshes over you, then you disappear.

Strangelove is famous for always showing His math on cap issues.

The only one here who never has any math to show is you of course.

YOU said Canucks "can't afford" Mëds' plan.

YOU said there is "over $10M stuck on the 4th line".

Therefore YOU are the one required to show their math in this particular debate.

But you won't because you can't...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:17 pm It sure would be nice to get a peek at what we have in QH. Expectations are at both extreme ends of the spectrum...

What do we have already!
If we unleash the secret weapon, the tankers will riot in the streets!
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

:drink:

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Forgot what a force Tryamkin was.

The only thing stopping the big guy is his drive and maturity. He could really be something if he stops being such a lazy, whiny, entitled baby.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:23 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:56 am

Strange your thoughts?

Show your math?

Oh wait you can't.
*knocks on Reefer's forehead*

I asked you to "re-read my other posts" in regards to my math.

I tire of repeating said math, because it always whooshes over you, then you disappear.

Strangelove is famous for always showing His math on cap issues.

The only one here who never has any math to show is you of course.

YOU said Canucks "can't afford" Mëds' plan.

YOU said there is "over $10M stuck on the 4th line".

Therefore YOU are the one required to show their math in this particular debate.

But you won't because you can't...
King of CC