2019 UFA

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 UFA

Post by Mickey107 »

When attempting to attract a free agent with a potential contract, location very much comes into play.
What the city is like. Possibly family reasons.
What the potential for success in that city projects to be.
What the paycheck whittles down to. Hence this semi decent comparable shows;
https://oilersnation.com/2018/07/10/com ... d-on-city/
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 pm When attempting to attract a free agent with a potential contract, location very much comes into play.
What the city is like. Possibly family reasons.
What the potential for success in that city projects to be.
What the paycheck whittles down to. Hence this semi decent comparable shows;
https://oilersnation.com/2018/07/10/com ... d-on-city/
Vancouver is not an undesirable locale for players that want to win in the near future.

We were in the last wild card spot (or a point out of it) coming out of the all-star break. Then we got smoked by injuries and fell off a cliff.

Top free agents won't be blind to the fact that losing half of your blueline is a legit cause for a young and developing team to miss the mark. Especially if they pull off some real spoilers here and maybe run out the season getting into the mid 80's for points.

Any player you want to have should also believe he's capable of being a difference maker, so if you are throwing money at Karlsson and Myers, then you know they will be looking at the "what if I had been there?" factor.

So break it down....

Goaltending that can close the door and stand tall when the chips are down. Check.

Young players on the rise that can fill in to keep the team competitive when regulars get injured. Check.

Young regulars looking read to lead with lots of miles left in the tank to be doing the same in 6-8 years. Check.

Management that players want to play for. Check.

Coaching and training staff that players want to play for. Uncertain.

Decent rink to play in. Check.

Happening, world class city. Check.

Attractive geographical locale. Check.

Great local fan base. Fail.

Decent taxes. Middle of the road.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

micky107 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:24 pm
SKYO wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:29 pm
Eberle easily would be the teams 4th best scoring forward by a landslide I bet, a 1 yr prove it deal would be superb for JE.

Eberle will rebound on a new team and Horvat can stop playing with scrubs for line mates for once.
My question on this Skyo is why would he go for a one year deal in Vancouver?

He's been making 6 mill per year.

Some GM will go and offer him 3.5 or even 4 for two or three years.
But maybe I'd feel different if Eriksson was eliminated from the roster.
Because it'd be a hard sell by his agent to any team to give him term with $6M+ AAV after this down season.

A good read on that:
https://eyesonisles.com/2019/03/17/new- ... nues-drop/

"The moral of the story is that Eberle’s poor season will likely cost him millions of dollars this July. It just goes to show how important a contract season could be for a player."

Eberle could look for a good fit with a nice roster spot where he could shine to earn his big pay day again.
Playing alongside Horvat 5vs5 & some powerplay time with Petey+Boeser would give him a good chance at regaining his form again.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Anyways yes I'd throw all the cash at EK July 1st first and foremost.

FFS Skyo.. Get off the sniffing glue already. We are NOT getting EK. He is not coming here.

We don't want him at the price tag he will command. It will be an overpayment (to say the least) to get him here.

He is an albatross contract WAITING to happen.

He might have a good year or even 2, but the last 6 will look worse than Erickssons, he will always be injured playing here - worse than Tanev - and with the dollars being paid him, it will be unmoveable.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Karlsson is 28. He has a lot of good years left provided he can stay healthy. Comparing him to Eriksson is insulting. I doubt he will come here but they have to throw him an offer and he is worth every penny of 7 x 11 if he can stay healthy.

He also seems to really like Petey
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yup, gonna be fun seeing Petey Boeser Horvat Q and Karlsson on the powerplay. 8-)

Madcombinepilot gonna be smoking meth by then. lol

I'd reckon Karlsson who is more talented than Scott Niedermayer imo pts wise, will have a solid scoring career well into his late 30's.

Niedermayer at 28 till he retired scored 390 pts over his final 8 seasons while averaging 49pts per season, EK will likely be as good if not better than that when it's all said & done.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm

FFS Skyo.. Get off the sniffing glue already. We are NOT getting EK. He is not coming here.

We don't want him at the price tag he will command. It will be an overpayment (to say the least) to get him here.

He might have a good year or even 2, but the last 6 will look worse than Erickssons, he will always be injured playing here - worse than Tanev - and with the dollars being paid him, it will be unmoveable.
Probably a good thing we could only sign him to a maximum of 7 seasons then. :look:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If Elmer lays out 7.5 million per to Myers that would be a horrendous mistake. I even think 6 is too much for a second pairing guy. But this is a GM paying Eriksson and Sutter 10.4 million when they are basically 4th liners
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:06 pm If Elmer lays out 7.5 million per to Myers that would be a horrendous mistake. I even think 6 is too much for a second pairing guy. But this is a GM paying Eriksson and Sutter 10.4 million when they are basically 4th liners
Unless we somehow win the UFA lottery and sign Karlsson, Myers would be our top pairing guy on the RS.

I wouldn't be happy with $7.5M x 7 years. Term would have to be less than 5 at that price. But if they can get a hometown discount from Edler, and land him at $6M AAV or less, tying up $24M on your top 3 defensemen is not that big of a deal if one of them is Erik Karlsson.

It would be foolhardy though if he's still paying a combined $10.4M to a couple of guys who are producing at a rate that would see them getting 4th line minutes on most teams in the league.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’d rather them sign Strahlman to a three year deal for 6 million per. I don’t think the Lightning can afford him. We have Tanev until the deadline next year. There are decent guys going to UFA in 2020.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Whoever is saying they want jordan fucking eberle should be shot and pissed on. We have about 3 or 4 jordan fucking eberles already in the lineup. Fuck
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:44 pm Whoever is saying they want jordan fucking eberle should be shot and pissed on. We have about 3 or 4 jordan fucking eberles already in the lineup. Fuck
So.... what’re you saying :?: :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

rats19 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:05 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:44 pm Whoever is saying they want jordan fucking eberle should be shot and pissed on. We have about 3 or 4 jordan fucking eberles already in the lineup. Fuck
So.... what’re you saying :?: :wink:
:lol:

He sucks man.
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Are you serious?

There are 6 Norris-winning defensemen in the league. If you get one for just cap space, who can put up more points than our best forwards, you do it.

There hasn't been a single Norris winner who's fallen off a cliff at 30, they are always elite into their late-30s.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Are you serious?

There are 6 Norris-winning defensemen in the league. If you get one for just cap space, who can put up more points than our best forwards, you do it.

There hasn't been a single Norris winner who's fallen off a cliff at 30, they are always elite into their late-30s.
Talk to em ESQ!

bruh you quit smoking cannibus again? lol