2019 UFA

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 UFA

Post by Meds »

rikster wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:03 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:54 pm So should they sit the next year too?

There is value in the UFA and this team has signed decent UFA in the past.
Thomas Vanek
Mats Sundin
Dan Hamhuis
Willie Mitchell
Murray Baron
Tanner Glass
Raffi Torres
Manny Malhotra
Anson Carter

And then they have a massive blob of shit for signings most of them by the current regime
None of those contracts had term so poor examples...

As I said, I’d look to take advantage of cap ceiling teams or sit on the sidelines and worry about next year next year...

btw, surprised by the cap situation in Vegas, who’d thought?
Weren't Hamhuis, Mitchell, and Malhotra, all 3+ year signings? What constitutes term?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yes. Hammer signed for 6, Mitchell for 4 and Manny for 3. Murray Baron signed for three years and then two.

Fuck has the pro scouting ever went to shit.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rikster wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:34 am Hamhuis and Mitchell were in Vancouver for 4 years.

Wouldn't we be happy if the Eriksson contract was only for 4 years?

Contracts handed out to the marquee players that UFA frenzy that saw Eriksson sign in Vancouver with their stats this season;

Kyle Okposo, RW, SIGNS SEVEN-YEAR DEAL WORTH $42 MILLION WITH SABRES. (11 goals 25 points)

Troy Brouwer, RW, SIGNS FOUR-YEAR DEAL WORTH $18 MILLION WITH FLAMES. (Bought out)

David Backes, C, SIGNS FIVE-YEAR DEAL WORTH $30 MILLION WITH BRUINS. (5 goals 16 points)

Milan Lucic, LW, SIGNS SEVEN-YEAR DEAL WORTH $42 MILLION WITH OILERS. (5 goals 17 points)

Frans Nielsen, C, SIGNS SIX-YEAR DEAL WORTH $31.5 MILLION WITH RED WINGS. (9 goals 33 points)

Andrew Ladd, LW, SIGNS SEVEN-YEAR DEAL WORTH $38.5 MILLION WITH ISLANDERS. (3 goals 10 points)

James Reimer, G, SIGNS FIVE-YEAR DEAL WORTH $17 MILLION WITH PANTHERS. ( 3.02 GAA .902 SV%)

Darren Helm, SIGNS FIVE-YEAR DEAL WORTH $19.2 MILLION WITH RED WINGS. (7 goals 15 points)

Eriksson has 10 goals and 22 points this season....

Every UFA season some will say this year is different or this player is different but the history tell us that is a folly...if a 3rd round draft pick has a 12% chance of becoming an impact player in the league, what are the odds that a marquee free agent who is given $ and term will turn out to be a value contract?

More likely the only value they give is intangible value like good in the room or a great mentor to the kids which is another way of saying we made a big mistake in signing him....

Now is not the time to go big game hunting, just sit this one out...

Take care...
Yeah I think that's pretty much the point that UW made there about the "x-factor" free agents.

The difference between a draft pick and a free agent is that the free agent steps in and can play at the NHL level now.

The Canucks are at the point in the rebuild where meaningful games in March are critical. The new core is forming, many of the pieces are settling in, but unless we want to be Edmonton 2.0 we need to actually go into that free agent pool and put some talented veteran players in the mix with Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat.

We've "homegrown" a goaltender in Markstrom who looks like he's finally the real deal, and because he hit his stride here and was given the opportunity to grow through failures, even if his current play remains status quo for him next year we are likely to see him give Vancouver a legit discount next spring (Swedes seem to be pretty loyal.....I'll give them that Per :P ).

We do NOT have the pieces on the roster or in the system to put a reliable NHL blueline on the ice next year.

Edler and Hutton are the only legit top-4 guys we have that we should go forward with, and both need new contracts this summer. Hutton hasn't proven anything though, he's had two good NHL seasons, both in contract years.

Tanev should be traded. His durability is too much of a question mark, and he is $4.5M of cap space that would get us a worthwhile return that comes "cap free".

Stecher is not a top-4 guy. If he can be given a LS partner who can play 15+ min and bring some own-zone smarts and muscle without a propensity for turnovers and useless off-the-glass "transition passes" then he's serviceable on the 3rd pairing and can step up when needed, but he's not a guy that I want as a regular in the top-4, and he's not a guy that you put a rookie defenseman with. Given the right trade I would still move on.

Hughes and Juolevi may not even be ready for the big time. We can't bank on a couple of kids who have yet to suit up for a regular season game in the NHL.

Our trade chips that we should be willing to part with.....

Tanev, Sutter, Eriksson, Spooner, and Baertschi.

We aren't going to address the right-side D spot in a trade involving Tanev. That's just not a hockey trade, RS for RS? Only happens when the team wanting to upgrade finds a team that has extra and pays out a good prospect or pick. Not an option here.

The other 4 names aren't going to get us a top-4 RS blueliner unless they too are part of a package where we send out picks and/or prospects.....which would be stupid at this point.

So.....

Edler - _______
Hutton - _______
______ - Stecher

We have 3 spots that badly need to be filled with players who can perform at a level that actually lets our young leaders win games.

IF we can get out from under $10M of contracts, then target Karlsson AND Myers. Bring in both. The PP and PK are instantly improved. Our 5-on-5 game takes a massive step forward because suddenly we can defend, transition, and attack, with 2/3 of our pairings, maybe all of them depending who lands with Stecher in this scenario.

Where do you suggest we go to get those badly needed spots, the draft? Utica?

Or is the master plan to toil in perpetuity and grow up a core after core of perennial losers like the Oilers have for the better part of two decades?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

To UW's point, another good signing was Demitra - not because he a perennial all star, but because Gillis was able to stick to his guns and sign him for only 3 years.

Other than Karlsson, it's the 2/3 year deals for second tier ufa's that we should target.

Unless Gardiner or Myers is available for under $7 mil , I would stay out of those bidding wars.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:51 am To UW's point, another good signing was Demitra - not because he a perennial all star, but because Gillis was able to stick to his guns and sign him for only 3 years.

Other than Karlsson, it's the 2/3 year deals for second tier ufa's that we should target.

Unless Gardiner or Myers is available for under $7 mil , I would stay out of those bidding wars.
I would go $7.5M on Myers. A bit more if the term is 4 years or less. The only RS guy we have in the system that is worth crossing our fingers on is Woo, and realistically he is probably at least 3 years away from being ready for a regular top-4 spot. A full year in Utica next season, call-up duty in Vancouver in 2020-21, then 3rd pairing in 2021-22.....but that's no guarantee obviously.

Gardiner we should just steer clear of unless we are not keeping Hutton. Ben isn't as good as Gardiner, but they have similarities to their games, and I would venture that Hutton's 20 points and minus-20 rating would be 30 points and a plus rating if he was skating behind Toronto's top couple of forward lines night in and night out.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Agree. Myers and...... which other D are available as UFA this summer?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Anton Stralman
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Erik Karlsson, Anton Stralman, and Jacob Trouba, are all probably going to be re-signed by their current clubs.....but hey it's fun to wishfully post here.

Amirite Doc?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:21 am Erik Karlsson, Anton Stralman, and Jacob Trouba, are all probably going to be re-signed by their current clubs.....but hey it's fun to wishfully post here.

Amirite Doc?
Not to speak for doc

But isn’t dreaming all we’ve ever had Mëds??
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rats19 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:24 am
Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:21 am Erik Karlsson, Anton Stralman, and Jacob Trouba, are all probably going to be re-signed by their current clubs.....but hey it's fun to wishfully post here.

Amirite Doc?
Not to speak for doc

Yeah, and it was feeling so good right up until you just pointed it out Rats. :cry:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:28 am
rats19 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:24 am

Amirite Doc?
Not to speak for doc

Yeah, and it was feeling so good right up until you just pointed it out Rats. :cry:
I seem to ruin everything lately Mëds... :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Dzingel will get overpaid imo, he's 27 and has just reached 50pts for the first time.

But a guy underrated this july 1st is Eberle, having his worst season at a poor time, but that doesn't mean he's done, only 28, has been 20+ goal scorer, 50-60pt guy for the majority of his career.

I'd try to sign him to a cheaper one year 'prove it' contract, or more AAV for 4 ish years, but he won't get $6M per for his next contract I bet, in any case Eberle would be a big upgrade over all our wingers currently sans Boeser and give Horvat a legitimate winger to work with.
Now, perhaps a short term prove it deal would make the most sense?

A one or two-year prove it deal with a $5 million AAV with hopes that he figures it out in his age 29 season might make sense. If this is the new Eberle (somewhere between 30 and 40 points) you can’t justify paying him upwards of $6 million per year. It’s too much of a risk.

This would almost be like a “show me” deal. If he puts up 34 points again next year, you know it’s likely over for him (in terms of a big payday). If he goes back to being a 50 or 60 point player a longer-term deal with money at or around $6 million per sounds right.

https://eyesonisles.com/2019/03/17/new- ... nues-drop/
Petey-Boeser
Horvat-Eberle

:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Eberle is too slow. Team needs to get quicker
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:25 am Eberle is too slow. Team needs to get quicker
I've been holding on to this.

https://thehockeywriters.com/edmonton-o ... e-problem/
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Carlyee wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:25 am Eberle is too slow. Team needs to get quicker
I've been holding on to this.

https://thehockeywriters.com/edmonton-o ... e-problem/
The team needs scoring. I would entertain Eberle on a one-year, show me you still got it, deal. There's no risk for the Canucks. It's a Vanek-esque low risk/high reward type deal. If he puts up big numbers maybe we can flip him at the deadline, or keep him for a run if we're overachieving.

I think this is the kind of bargain shopping that makes sense on UFA day, not hunting for the big eight-figure contracts.