Apparent contradiction?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by Mickey107 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:53 am
SKYO wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am I'm just saying with Horvat's semi-friendly contract, and Pettersson ELC, the Canucks can afford to spend cap money on some quality depth centers.
Personally, I was hoping that before the end of Sutter's contract, Gaudette would be the 3rd best centre in the Canucks system.
Absolutely! Nothing wrong with that.
I think the basics are there so now it's up to Green to help him bring it to fruition.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Fuck we need training camp already....page after page of whatever this is sucks man

Bring on the season
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Always hated warm-up, stretching, etc. :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am Bo is a very average penalty killer. Though for this hockey team that could be described as “damned proficient” I guess.
I agree with the first sentence but not the second.

We just need our 2 best penalty-killing forwards (Sutter, Loui) to stay healthy this season

... and for noted PKers Beagle and Schaller (and Roussel to a lesser extent) to add to that.

Would also help the PK if Granlund has a bounce-back season and Gaunce continues to improve.

Like you I'm not much of a fancy stat guy, but I read an interesting article a while back.

Something like Canucks were top-5 in PK shot suppression but bottom-5 in PK goaltending percentage last season.

This seems to match the eye test in my opinion:

Our goalies were our biggest problem on the PK.

(pressure gets to them?)

Anyway, as I say, we should have a better group of PK forwards next season, and hopefully the goaltending is better.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:46 pm Piss or get off the pot time for Jake, Gaunce, Hutton, lil'trojan, Granlund, Lipstick, Mott
I agree about everyone but Jake and Motte.

Motte because he will most certainly spend the year in Utica.

(2-way contract and doesn't require waivers until he plays 1 more NHL game)

Jake because he turned 22 this month, improved last season, and just signed a cheap 2-year contract.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jake-virtanen

The minors in the second year? Misprint?
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:21 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am Bo is a very average penalty killer. Though for this hockey team that could be described as “damned proficient” I guess.
I agree with the first sentence but not the second.

We just need our 2 best penalty-killing forwards (Sutter, Loui) to stay healthy this season

... and for noted PKers Beagle and Schaller (and Roussel to a lesser extent) to add to that.

Would also help the PK if Granlund has a bounce-back season and Gaunce continues to improve.

Like you I'm not much of a fancy stat guy, but I read an interesting article a while back.

Something like Canucks were top-5 in PK shot suppression but bottom-5 in PK goaltending percentage last season.

This seems to match the eye test in my opinion:

Our goalies were our biggest problem on the PK.

(pressure gets to them?)

Anyway, as I say, we should have a better group of PK forwards next season, and hopefully the goaltending is better.
Yeah Marky admitted this was hard to learn to play 60 NHL games in a season, but now he knows what it takes, they say your best penalty killer is your goalie, so maybe Marky can take it up a notch now that's mentally prepared for a 60 game NHL season.

In any case, having Sutter, Beags, Grans and Eriksson as the top dawgs penalty killing, along with a healthy Tanev, Guddy (knock on wood) that will help overall the penalty kill game.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol “Grans” is a terrible penalty killer
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:21 pm
Topper wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:46 pm Piss or get off the pot time for Jake, Gaunce, Hutton, lil'trojan, Granlund, Lipstick, Mott
I agree about everyone but Jake and Motte.

Motte because he will most certainly spend the year in Utica.

(2-way contract and doesn't require waivers until he plays 1 more NHL game)

Jake because he turned 22 this month, improved last season, and just signed a cheap 2-year contract.
The hilarious thing is that this was all stated by management and players after the season end exit interviews.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Dahlen, Gaudette, Demko, Virtanen, Petterson and Juolevi will all have excellent training camps. Let’s sit back and see if “those who deserve to stay up, stay” or will contracts dictate those decisions?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 am Dahlen, Gaudette, Demko, Virtanen, Petterson and Juolevi will all have excellent training camps. Let’s sit back and see if “those who deserve to stay up, stay” or will contracts dictate those decisions?
Dahlen and gaudette should go down in my opinion no matter how well they play. They need big minutes including top pp time. Let them be first call ups, and if they can handle the nhl gaudette frees up Sutter/Gagner to be traded and Dahlen frees up Baertschi for trade. Now if management is sold in training camp I guess they could look to trade prior to the season starting which would be interesting. However, if docs playoff’s are gonna be a possibility we’ll need the depth.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:04 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 am Dahlen, Gaudette, Demko, Virtanen, Petterson and Juolevi will all have excellent training camps. Let’s sit back and see if “those who deserve to stay up, stay” or will contracts dictate those decisions?
Dahlen and gaudette should go down in my opinion no matter how well they play. They need big minutes including top pp time. Let them be first call ups, and if they can handle the nhl gaudette frees up Sutter/Gagner to be traded and Dahlen frees up Baertschi for trade. Now if management is sold in training camp I guess they could look to trade prior to the season starting which would be interesting. However, if docs playoff’s are gonna be a possibility we’ll need the depth.
Don't know how happy Jame's is if Trav sends Adam down. ;)
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:19 am Lol “Grans” is a terrible penalty killer
lol forget that, either say you know nothing about hockey, or do even watch hockey?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Does this clear the mud?

Benning isn't ruling the prospect of a deserving kid grabbing a roster spot.

"If one of them comes in and is like Brock Boeser was last year and we think it's best for him to be playing in the league, then we'll make room," he added. "We're going to have six to eight guys down in the American League that we think are going to be part of our future. We have to make sure they develop properly, are physically strong enough and mentally tough enough, and when they are ready, we are going to give them an opportunity."
The only HW the Canucks need
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:44 pm Does this clear the mud?

Benning isn't ruling the prospect of a deserving kid grabbing a roster spot.

"If one of them comes in and is like Brock Boeser was last year and we think it's best for him to be playing in the league, then we'll make room," he added. "We're going to have six to eight guys down in the American League that we think are going to be part of our future. We have to make sure they develop properly, are physically strong enough and mentally tough enough, and when they are ready, we are going to give them an opportunity."
It’s akin to management sending Dahlen over to Sweden when he said he wasn’t ready for the ahl, just because a kid looks ready to play in the league doesn’t mean he *is* ready to play in the league. Confidence is huge for these players.