2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:46 am Its either Soderstrom or a forward. Byram will be gone, he ain’t getting past Edmonton but if Podkozlin falls to Edmonton he may very well be the winger they are looking for for McDavid. I believe Podkozlin could be the top 10 faller in this year’s draft because of the Russian Factor.

Cozens isn’t getting past Anaheim, they like those types of players.

Hughes to Colorado
Kakko to LA

Detroit could take Byram since they’ve been slamming forwards with their first round picks outside of Cholowski. They have a ton of young forwards

New Jersey will take one of the Americans - Boldy, Turcotte, Zegras

I think the pool we will be selecting from will be:

Krebs
Soderstrom
Boldy
Zegras
Turcotte
Kirby “Brendan Gaunce” Dach
Agreed, Byram is likely gone around 4 or 5. Cozens is likely gone too.

Who knows with Podkolzin, he’s got top 5 talent but the Russian factor is big, especially since he’s saying he’s in no rush to come over.

For me, Turcotte is a poor man’s Crosby - good at everything but obviously not as good as Sid is. He’s very strong and has a chance to make the league next year, IMHO.

I really like Krebs, he’s on a horrible team and is well over a point per game, plus minus doesn’t really matter especially since he will be a winger in the NHL (most likely). Krebs has a great engine which is not something you can teach.

Boldy I’m not 100% sold on, he’s very skilled but doesn’t play at a great pace, which can be a warning sign. His hands may make up for it though.

Zegras is a poor man’s Hughes - awesome hands and skills but not the skating Hughes has. He needs to put on some beef so probably a couple of years away.

Soderstrom I don’t know as much about yet, he’s a skilled guy who has very good offense but not sure he’s better than the forwards who will be there. He’s a RH shot which is badly needed, but so is LW and C and most of the forwards plays those positions,

Dach I like - he’s not Gaunce or apreally anything like him. Gaunce can’t skate sideways or quickly north south, and Dachcan do both. He’s got very good hands and a good shot and 6’4” and 200 pounds. To me he’s more Getzlaf or Johansen than Gaunce or some other slow forward who isn’t skilled enough to make it.

My preference is for a forward with the top pick assuming it’s 6-10, then grab D in the next couple of rounds. Another prospect on the same level as Woo would be good along with a guy like Krebs, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy or Dach in the 1st and we are getting close to having enough young talent to make the next step.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You like Dach’s skating? It’s the biggest concern with the scouts regarding his skating. His pace isn’t great, not sure that bolds well for the new NHL. His motor and compete level needs a lot of work. If he can improve in those areas yeah do the pick but to me he comes with the biggest boom bust factor

Of the 3 Americans outside of Hughes, Turcotte I like. Got a feeling we are drafting Soderstrom

My list

Turcotte
Krebs
Soderstrom
Broberg
Zegras
Boldy
Newhook
Dach
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Theres always these debates about these kids and once the draft is done with you never hear about 60% them again.

There is one consistency however...there is always one or 2 who suprise and are better than almost every player taken before them. Our GM has hit on a couple so far with high hopes for last years QH beung his 3rd.

So who is the most likely to take that unforseen turn for the better? Who has the elite skills and/or skating that will blossom in draft year +1?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:30 am Theres always these debates about these kids and once the draft is done with you never hear about 60% them again.

There is one consistency however...there is always one or 2 who suprise and are better than almost every player taken before them. Our GM has hit on a couple so far with high hopes for last years QH beung his 3rd.

So who is the most likely to take that unforseen turn for the better? Who has the elite skills and/or skating that will blossom in draft year +1?
Turcotte, Krebs, Broberg and Soderstrom

Bust factors - Dach, Newhook, Zegras, Boldy

Just a wild prediction
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Just had a read about the players you named. For me on D it has to be Soderstrom over Broberg. Broberg supposedly lacks hockey sense and lateral movement mobility. Him being 6'3" is why hes the higher rated prospect but this kid has the tools to be one whos game might rake that suprise upswing

February 2019 – Söderström has been spending most of this season at the top level in Sweden in the SHL, and he’s been given a good role where he gets to play good minutes and also sees time on the power play. Söderström may actually be the second-best defenseman in his draft class. He’s a strong puck-mover who likes to join the rush but he’s also a very strong player defensively. His hockey sense is very high and he uses it at both ends of the rink. He’s a very smooth and talented skater who is capable of playing big minutes. He also has a good shot, and he’s able to get it through traffic pretty frequently. It’s also a good thing for NHL teams that he shoots from the right side. At 5-foot-11, Söderström isn’t big but he likes to throw his weight around. It’s pretty easy to project him as a middle-pair defenseman but he has upside to become a number two if everything goes well. Jokke Nevalainen

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Up front its Turcotte all the way. Sure center is our strength but who cares...this kid might suprise
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:47 am Up front its Turcotte all the way. Sure center is our strength but who cares...this kid might suprise
BPA

Could be a trade potential - one of Turcotte or Horvat once we know what we got in Turcotte
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:47 am Up front its Turcotte all the way. Sure center is our strength but who cares...this kid might suprise
Move a centre to the wing if you have to. Horvat, Petterson and Gaudette all look capable of playing on the wing in the top 6.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah to me it’s Turcotte, stocky like Horvat but with more skill than Bo.

I’m still intrigued by Podkozlin because all the scouts are calling him the best scorer in the 2019 class and plays with an edge. He does have an American agent which helps. I got a feeling Turcotte isn’t getting past New Jersey. If we are picking 7th - Cozens Anaheim. Kakko LA. Hughes Colorado. Byram Oilers. Would not be surprised if Podkozlin is available to us. Tough call on who Detroit picks but my feeling with all the forwards in their system they’d like Byram, both them and Edmonton but could see Edmonton hopping all over Podkozlin

It’s key for us to stay in the top 6

Hughes
Kakko
Podkozlin
Cozens
Byram
Turcotte
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

That Kakko kid is a gem. When do we get to win the fuckin lotto? Its about time
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:31 am That Kakko kid is a gem. When do we get to win the fuckin lotto? Its about time
Kakko is good but he reminds me of Landeskog, nothing flashy just goes about his business in a good way
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:29 am It’s key for us to stay in the top 6

Hughes
Kakko
Podkozlin
Cozens
Byram
Turcotte
If we end up 6th worst, we’ll pick 8th after the lottery - book it!
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:56 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:29 am It’s key for us to stay in the top 6

Hughes
Kakko
Podkozlin
Cozens
Byram
Turcotte
If we end up 6th worst, we’ll pick 8th after the lottery - book it!
Sad to say, you’re right
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

We are trending that way now.

"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Unfortunately we ain’t catching the top 5 worst. The best we can get is 6th best overall odds at the lottery. The Oil seem to be picking up wins of late