2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Sure.

I am just saying that nobody was going to bend Tampa over for a player because of contract issues. (Like Toronto got it)

Now, a 1st and a 3rd seems steep, unless he delivers 4x 20 goal/50 point seasons. He delivers that, you can't really bitch about the picks imo
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:02 am We needed something, and paid full price for it. Discounts are nice, but don't always happen with this GM.
Fixed.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

What gets lost in this is that there is a difference in a cap dump, Marleau, and in making a hockey trade to move cap, Miller. Yes Tampa needed to move cap but they knew the had Callahan coming off the books so that took a lot of pressure off to just dump a player. And yes, there were a few other teams expressing interest. Someone wrote that out of three teams offering nearly the same return the Canucks were the lowest seeded and offered the potential of the biggest return. In the end that’s what Tampa went with. The highest seeded 3rd rounder this year and the potential to be the best seeded 1st rounder in the next two years.
The only HW the Canucks need
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:09 pm What gets lost in this is that there is a difference in a cap dump, Marleau, and in making a hockey trade to move cap, Miller. Yes Tampa needed to move cap but they knew the had Callahan coming off the books so that took a lot of pressure off to just dump a player. And yes, there were a few other teams expressing interest. Someone wrote that out of three teams offering nearly the same return the Canucks were the lowest seeded and offered the potential of the biggest return. In the end that’s what Tampa went with. The highest seeded 3rd rounder this year and the potential to be the best seeded 1st rounder in the next two years.
While I am not sure as to the extent of other teams' interest or other teams' offers, we can make the educated guess that Tampa went with the best offer (that being the 1st, 3rd and (marginal) prospect) which seems like a pretty damn sweet deal when you are a team needing to move cap (whether you need to or really, really need to).

What also gets lost in the various narratives is the opportunity cost of this trade:

Benning has shown improvement in his drafting over the years and I have come to have a lot of respect for and faith in it. He might miss here and there but on the whole his drafting record has been very good (assuming the player trajectories we currently see continue).

Boeser (23rd), Petersson (5th) and Hughes (7th) are all first rounders. Do we actually think that having Miller now is worth more than having another player of that ilk (of B,P or H) even though we would have to wait for 3-4 years? I do not.

And the above is all ignoring that, Canuck luck being what it is, the pick will most likely end up being our only lotto winner. Imagine that.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Canucks needed immediate help in the top 6, that was a given. Top 6 talent, you don’t get with wooden nickels. I believe there are few slobbery sleeve chewers who thought that help was arriving this up coming season via the 2019 1st round pick fast track into the line up.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:25 pm The Canucks needed immediate help in the top 6, that was a given. Top 6 talent, you don’t get with wooden nickels. I believe there are few slobbery sleeve chewers who thought that help was arriving this up coming season via the 2019 1st round pick fast track into the line up.
The Canucks need help everywhere not just the top six forwards
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:04 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:25 pm The Canucks needed immediate help in the top 6, that was a given. Top 6 talent, you don’t get with wooden nickels. I believe there are few slobbery sleeve chewers who thought that help was arriving this up coming season via the 2019 1st round pick fast track into the line up.
The Canucks need help everywhere not just the top six forwards
And where were they getting top 6 help from for this up coming season without a UFA contract overpayment, Bubbles? Remember Miller is on a good contract, and not a stinky $7 Million Nylander type contract. How are they to get top 6 help Baublehead?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Draft and develop

Some folks can’t handle a rebuild. Short circuit all the way ! :roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:19 pm Draft and Develop
They are:

Newbies Podkozlin, Hoglander and the other 7 2019 Canuck draft picks say hi! Say “hi” Blob. 9 draft picks in 2019
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

And a first rounder given away. At least Lennie Small got the 2020 pick protected. This remains a bottom feeder again and the new GM can kickstart the rebuild with a solid high pick.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

griz wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:41 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:13 pm
Cornuck wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am TRADE: The Lightning have traded forward J.T. Miller to Vancouver for a conditional first-round pick in 2020, a third-round selection in 2019 and goaltender Marek Mazanec. Should the Canucks not make the playoffs in 2019-20, the first-round selection will move to the 2021 draft.
I LOVE THIS TRADE!! :rockin:

Miller is a large, fast, physical top six forward who plays all 3 forward positions.

And he's on a great contract.

When Miller plays in the top 6 (he didn't last season on a deep Tampa team) he racks up the points.

Your Vancouver Canucks needed a player like this, Blob Buddies need to break out of rebuild mentality.

It's time.

Try to focus on the Stanley Cup.

Jimmy will recoup a 1st in another trade along the way...

Rejoice Canuck fans!

REJOICE!!! :rockin:
My thoughts exactly Doc.
Great minds think alike. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:34 pm Give it up, Rickey sees what he wants to see.
... and of course Reefer would never do such a thing! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:19 am those firsts area not guaranteed good NHL level players. J.T. Miller is a “player” and is “worth” a first, he’s guaranteed. He’s young, signed on a good contract with term.
Exactly.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:29 am Stupid trade. Trying to short circuit a rebuild doesn’t work.
Blob wants the rebuild to go on forever so that he can continue to piss and moan forever...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:32 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:29 am Stupid trade. Trying to short circuit a rebuild doesn’t work.
Blob wants the rebuild to be done properly so he appreciates competent builders. Doc is too cheap to hire a decent builder and hires Reefs drunken cousin to save a few bucks.