2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:43 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:45 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:37 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:32 am I guess we could just go on losing like your Buffalos and Edmonton’s and Arizona’s for decades in the name of draft picks that are not guaranteed.
And yet youll endlessly flog the dead horse of gillis selling picks off for help when they were an actual contender...
Gillis was a terrible GM. Benning isn’t. Big difference
True...but his team was a contender when he was acquiring talent for picks. Bennings team is not
Two polar opposite situations - Gillis inherited a “ great”situation, and failed miserably. Benning inherited a terrific mess that is currently/still work in progress
How we got here and gillis got to where he was when he traded futures for depth is irrelevant in the context of this discussion and you know it.

One was a contender, one is not.
Gillis was gift wrapped a glorious situation and shit fucked it for the next GM. I got news for you, he didn’t win the Cup and was horrendous in trying to get back there when all his peers at the time got back there many times. He is without question a horrible hockey man
Yes he was horrible but like it or not his team was a contender that came with a Luongo meltdown or 3 from a cup in game 7. His team couldve won it and he made key moves at key times to put them in that position.

Drawing a comparison to these 2 situations to justify an overpayment by a lottery team simply isnt justified
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:54 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:43 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:45 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:37 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:32 am I guess we could just go on losing like your Buffalos and Edmonton’s and Arizona’s for decades in the name of draft picks that are not guaranteed.
And yet youll endlessly flog the dead horse of gillis selling picks off for help when they were an actual contender...
Gillis was a terrible GM. Benning isn’t. Big difference
True...but his team was a contender when he was acquiring talent for picks. Bennings team is not
Two polar opposite situations - Gillis inherited a “ great”situation, and failed miserably. Benning inherited a terrific mess that is currently/still work in progress
How we got here and gillis got to where he was when he traded futures for depth is irrelevant in the context of this discussion and you know it.

One was a contender, one is not.
Gillis was gift wrapped a glorious situation and shit fucked it for the next GM. I got news for you, he didn’t win the Cup and was horrendous in trying to get back there when all his peers at the time got back there many times. He is without question a horrible hockey man
Yes he was horrible but like it or not his team was a contender that came with a Luongo meltdown or 3 from a cup in game 7. His team couldve won it and he made key moves at key times to put them in that position.

Drawing a comparison to these 2 situations to justify an overpayment by a lottery team simply isnt justified
#itsallgillisfault

RD blames WWII on Gillis as well.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

JT Miller 3 goals in 61 playoff games
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ya thats bad. 10 million Williom bad...
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:59 am JT Miller 3 goals in 61 playoff games
How many assists?

This chat is embarrassing.
Throwing a defense man under the bus before he gets here because we gave up our first round pick in one of two years of which
we will not be a lottery team and even if we were, we'd lose as always and might I just fucking add that Miller's 47 points is
better than any Nuck Dee put up last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:39 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:59 am JT Miller 3 goals in 61 playoff games
How many assists?

Throwing a defense man under the bus before he gets here because we gave up our first round pick in one of two years of which
we will not be a lottery team and even if we were, we'd lose as always and might I just fucking add that Miller's 47 points is

That’s great Micky. But J.T. is a winger. You’re thinking the wrong Miller
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

well i was mad, I was in the middle of working out a way to get Collin Miller here, (which I have).

They deserved it anyways 47 points mostly on the third line is better than most of our forwards and he can play all 3 positions.
"evolution"
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:40 am
micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:39 am
How many assists?

That’s great Micky. But J.T. is a winger. You’re thinking the wrong Miller
But I am sure you see how he could be confused considering the 3 goals in 61 playoff games. :D

Joking as(s)ide, I actually don't mind the addition of Miller but think the price was a significant overpayment.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

JT Miller----------------Pettersson-----------------Boeser
ImageImageImage
"evolution"
Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Diehard1 »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:47 am well i was mad, I was in the middle of working out a way to get Collin Miller here, (which I have).

They deserved it anyways 47 points mostly on the third line is better than most of our forwards and he can play all 3 positions.
If Vegas signs Karlsson to the contract they've rumoured to have signed him to at $5.9 million per year, they are almost $5 million over the cap, still needing to sign 2 D and a back up goalie. Yes, this with Clarkson's contract on the books but it's still a huge issue.

Jimbo should be calling McCrimmon and offering to take Colin Miller, Clarkson's contract and a future 2nd rounder for a B level prospect. Gets Vegas where they need to be in terms of dollars, gets us a better dman than Myers at half the cost and we get a pick out of it. Clarkson's deal is up after this year and we wouldn't need the cap space this year so it all makes a ton of sense.

Unfortunately some other team will likely do it and get the assets almost for free. Come on Jimbo, this is a much better idea than signing Myers to a 7 year contract that will be regrettable almost as soon as it's inked.
Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Diehard1 »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:52 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:02 am With Callahan on permanent LTIR, Tampa isn't up against the cap like everyone seems to think.
Brisebois seemed to think they were "up against the cap" and made the move to clear cap space:

"Eventually we were going to have to unload some players and unfortunately today was one of those days. We had to create some cap space and Miller ended up being the player moved to make that cap space."

Tampa not having any cap issues is a nice narrative though to try to justify the overpayment. Just not true.
I wouldn't worry about a few posters here always defending Jimbo. I learned a while ago that they just do it for the sheer entertainment, it has nothing to do with the job they actually think he's doing. Still fun to debate them but don't ever think you'll be able to reason with them no matter what the evidence is.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:46 am
micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:47 am well i was mad, I was in the middle of working out a way to get Collin Miller here, (which I have).

If Vegas signs Karlsson to the contract they've rumoured to have signed him to at $5.9 million per year, they are almost $5 million over the cap, still needing to sign 2 D and a back up goalie. Yes, this with Clarkson's contract on the books but it's still a huge issue.

Jimbo should be calling McCrimmon and offering to take Colin Miller, Clarkson's contract and a future 2nd rounder for a B level prospect. Gets Vegas where they need to be in terms of dollars, gets us a better dman than Myers at half the cost and we get a pick out of it. Clarkson's deal is up after this year and we wouldn't need the cap space this year so it all makes a ton of sense.

Unfortunately some other team will likely do it and get the assets almost for free. Come on Jimbo, this is a much better idea than signing Myers to a 7 year contract that will be regrettable almost as soon as it's inked.
Someone suggested forget Clarkson. Offer to take Miller and Eakins, combined 7.9 ish for Biega. LOL. Frees up about 7 million for them. They’d still be in cap limbo though, by a few million.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:46 am

I just said almost the exact same thing on the other thread. Hey! that means something...it'll happen.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:02 am With Callahan on permanent LTIR, Tampa isn't up against the cap like everyone seems to think.
Brisebois seemed to think they were "up against the cap" and made the move to clear cap space:

"Eventually we were going to have to unload some players and unfortunately today was one of those days. We had to create some cap space and Miller ended up being the player moved to make that cap space."

Tampa not having any cap issues is a nice narrative though to try to justify the overpayment. Just not true.
Thanks. I figured roughly 16 million in cap room with only 4RFA's (one being Point- who will get paid) and 16 existing contracts was a "nice narrative" as well.. especially when a couple of those RFA's are not getting much...

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/lightning

Now, if we want to discuss overpayment, let me know.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks. I figured roughly 16 million in cap room with only 4RFA's (one being Point- who will get paid) and 16 existing contracts was a "nice narrative" as well.. especially when a couple of those RFA's are not getting much...

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/lightning

Now, if we want to discuss overpayment, let me know.
Well notwithstanding what you "figured", Brisebois said otherwise. I'll take his word on it even if you don't.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu