2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22181
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Strangelove » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm hearing Jimmy was going to swap the 10th for 16th as part of a deal for Barrie

... unless The Pod was still available.

Logging off until tomorrow, busy, busy, busy...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8243
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Cornuck » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for checking in Doc, we need to know you were ok with Benning's moves today. ;)
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 8856
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by The Brown Wizard » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:47 pm
Thanks for checking in Doc, we need to know you were ok with Benning's moves today. ;)
I challenge anyone to scour the archives and find a benning move that doc condemns :lol:

That said...this isnt that bad of a move. Its just not a win but jimmy doesnt generally win trades so its business as usual.

Myers talk is gaining traction according to the score
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1022
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:53 pm
Cornuck wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:47 pm
Thanks for checking in Doc, we need to know you were ok with Benning's moves today. ;)
I challenge anyone to scour the archives and find a benning move that doc condemns :lol:

That said...this isnt that bad of a move. Its just not a win but jimmy doesnt generally win trades so its business as usual.

Myers talk is gaining traction according to the score
It’s a fair trade, 26 yr old 50 point players on favourable contracts are valuable. It’s not a win but it’s not a loss it’s value for value. Miller and toffoli were two guys I was hoping we’d get as realistic targets. Huge improvement for the 6 and shows the young guys the team is serious about competing and winning.

nuckster
MVP
MVP
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 am

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by nuckster » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:13 pm
Cornuck wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am
TRADE: The Lightning have traded forward J.T. Miller to Vancouver for a conditional first-round pick in 2020, a third-round selection in 2019 and goaltender Marek Mazanec. Should the Canucks not make the playoffs in 2019-20, the first-round selection will move to the 2021 draft.
I LOVE THIS TRADE!! :rockin:

Miller is a large, fast, physical top six forward who plays all 3 forward positions.

And he's on a great contract.

When Miller plays in the top 6 (he didn't last season on a deep Tampa team) he racks up the points.

Your Vancouver Canucks needed a player like this, Blob Buddies need to break out of rebuild mentality.

It's time.

Try to focus on the Stanley Cup.

Jimmy will LOSE another 1st in another trade along the way...

Rejoice Canuck fans!

REJOICE!!! :rockin:
Fixed the last part of your post for ya Doc. You just dont want to acknowledge the fact that your 'genious Jim' is NOT a crafty/smooth/shrewd operator when it comes trades or resource mgt (good at drafting for sure... usually). The likelihood of mr. B acquiring a first from somewhere is right up there with believing RD is going to get over Gillis - it's not going to happen! JB is still sewing the arse end of his pants from developments in the past re: acquisition of 'foundational players', i.e., Sutter, Erikson, and Gudbranson. Me thinks you're very much in the minority on this one - a first and a third was too much.
cc oldtimer

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 15804
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:45 pm

I absolutely love the JT Miller trade! Ya gotta give to get something, the 2019 1st is lottery protected. Jimbro strikes again. Love it!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
rikster
MVP
MVP
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:41 am

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by rikster » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:01 pm

Fixed the last part of your post for ya Doc. You just dont want to acknowledge the fact that your 'genious Jim' is NOT a crafty/smooth/shrewd operator when it comes trades or resource mgt (good at drafting for sure... usually). The likelihood of mr. B acquiring a first from somewhere is right up there with believing RD is going to get over Gillis - it's not going to happen! JB is still sewing the arse end of his pants from developments in the past re: acquisition of 'foundational players', i.e., Sutter, Erikson, and Gudbranson. Me thinks you're very much in the minority on this one - a first and a third was too much.
That's your opinion...

If the first in either next years or the year after that's draft is bothering you, look at it as a sure fire first round pick from the 2011 class for a not no sure pick in the 2020 or 2021 draft...

Or;

Most fans are very happy with the first round selection this year...

Most fans accept and understand that the #10 whoever it was would need at least one or two years of development before you see him in an NHL lineup so having this years pick develope in Russia for 2 years is not a problem...

By that logic, the soonest we could expect the traded 1st round pick to be in an NHL lineup is 2022 or 2023.....

Most fans (myself excluded) think its playoffs or bust for management this year, meaning the 2019/2020 season....

So what am I missing here?

Nuck Nation can't have it both ways....You want the playoffs this year but are against trading a future #1 for a top 6 former #1 which will get the team closer to the playoffs....

Go figure...

If the traded pick is a lottery pick next year and the year after that, then I'm sure Strangelove and all of us who are on the Benning bandwagon will jump off it and get on your picket line...

Take care...

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5027
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Reefer2 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:21 pm

Ricky - the point he is making has sweet fuck all to do with this years pick.

Many fans believe it is an over payment for Miller, especially since Tampa was up against the cap so most fans think he could of paid less to get him.

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Jovocop » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:21 pm
Ricky - the point he is making has sweet fuck all to do with this years pick.

Many fans believe it is an over payment for Miller, especially since Tampa was up against the cap so most fans think he could of paid less to get him.
The truth is that we will never know how many teams were trying to trade for Miller. The Canucks are not the only team with the cap space. The Lightning might not have to deal him if all the return was not satisfactory.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouve

Post by Diehard1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:52 pm

rikster wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:01 pm
Fixed the last part of your post for ya Doc. You just dont want to acknowledge the fact that your 'genious Jim' is NOT a crafty/smooth/shrewd operator when it comes trades or resource mgt (good at drafting for sure... usually). The likelihood of mr. B acquiring a first from somewhere is right up there with believing RD is going to get over Gillis - it's not going to happen! JB is still sewing the arse end of his pants from developments in the past re: acquisition of 'foundational players', i.e., Sutter, Erikson, and Gudbranson. Me thinks you're very much in the minority on this one - a first and a third was too much.
That's your opinion...

If the first in either next years or the year after that's draft is bothering you, look at it as a sure fire first round pick from the 2011 class for a not no sure pick in the 2020 or 2021 draft...

Or;

Most fans are very happy with the first round selection this year...

Most fans accept and understand that the #10 whoever it was would need at least one or two years of development before you see him in an NHL lineup so having this years pick develope in Russia for 2 years is not a problem...

By that logic, the soonest we could expect the traded 1st round pick to be in an NHL lineup is 2022 or 2023.....

Most fans (myself excluded) think its playoffs or bust for management this year, meaning the 2019/2020 season....

So what am I missing here?

Nuck Nation can't have it both ways....You want the playoffs this year but are against trading a future #1 for a top 6 former #1 which will get the team closer to the playoffs....

Go figure...

If the traded pick is a lottery pick next year and the year after that, then I'm sure Strangelove and all of us who are on the Benning bandwagon will jump off it and get on your picket line...

Take care...
Hi Rikster,

I dislike this trade a ton, and it has almost nothing to do with JT Miller. I think he’s going to be a 2nd line, 20 goal, 50 point winger on this team for a number of years and that has value, no question. It’s not worth a 1st that could be in the lottery (if in 2021) and a 3rd in a strong draft this year though, especially when TBay had and still has cap issues. They need to sign 5 forwards and a D including Point and have $11 million to do it, it’s going to be tight. Yes they can put Callahan on LTIR but they can only do that if they are over the cap, his salary doesn’t come off the books as some seem to think.

Benning simply has no idea how to value picks, he throws them into lots of deals and almost always pays more than other, much more successful teams do. It’s infuriating.

As for playoffs or bust this year, Jimbo cannot be trading to save his own hide, which is what he’s doing. You do not give up the future for the present when you have just come off the worst 5 year stretch in team history. This team is not close, the D is still terrible and adding Tyler Myers will not change that. Neither will adding 1 top 6 forward in JT Miller - this is still not a playoff team as constructed barring massive internal improvement.

That said, if Jimbo can get rid of some of the deadwood he’s accumulated, and he’s going to have to given how many players he has on the roster, perhaps he can get something of value back. Given his track record to date I highly doubt it, but hope springs eternal even when it’s Jimbo running the team.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Diehard1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:01 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:33 pm
Reefer2 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:21 pm
Ricky - the point he is making has sweet fuck all to do with this years pick.

Many fans believe it is an over payment for Miller, especially since Tampa was up against the cap so most fans think he could of paid less to get him.
The truth is that we will never know how many teams were trying to trade for Miller. The Canucks are not the only team with the cap space. The Lightning might not have to deal him if all the return was not satisfactory.
Fair point, but as per usual with Jimbo once he gets a player in mind he pays more than anybody else would regardless of the circumstances. He overpaid for Guddy who was a disaster, he overpaid for Linden Vey who was also terrible, he overpaid for Brandon Sutter who has been below average at best, he threw away a pick for Pedan.

This trade reeks of Jimbo’s desperation and that makes no sense when a team needs help with their cap situation. It’s not like JT Miller was the only guy out there Jimbo could have traded for, as the Leaves, Golden Knights, Pens, Flames, Caps, Sharks, etc all may have to trade a player or two to get cap compliant. There aren’t that many teams that have cap room, need a player, and have the internal budget to pick somebody up. Jimbo is one of the few and he needs to learn to use that leverage.

User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 am

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Cherry Picker » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:44 pm

If the Canucks can make the playoffs once in the next two years the trade is fine. Giving up a non-lottery first and a third is fine for Miller.
The Canucks should be good enough to make the playoffs if they find a right shot Dman, and one of their wing prospects plays well in the top six. It’s a reasonable gamble to make that they can make the playoffs once in the next two year.

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat ?????

If they find that missing piece they will have a very competitive top six.
We are all Jim Benning.

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 8856
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by The Brown Wizard » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Cherry Picker wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:44 pm
If the Canucks can make the playoffs once in the next two years the trade is fine.Giving up a non-lottery first and a third is fine for Miller.
The Canucks should be good enough to make the playoffs if they find a right shot Dman, and one of their wing prospects plays well in the top six. It’s a reasonable gamble to make that they can make the playoffs once in the next two year.

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat ?????

If they find that missing piece they will have a very competitive top six.
This. He best have a plan to reinforce that weak assed defense though.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
rikster
MVP
MVP
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:41 am

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by rikster » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:21 pm
Ricky - the point he is making has sweet fuck all to do with this years pick.

Many fans believe it is an over payment for Miller, especially since Tampa was up against the cap so most fans think he could of paid less to get him.
Because you "feel" a better deal was available doesn't mean it was....

My post outlined why I and many others don't have a problem with the deal, if you disagree then share why....

Take care...

griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 401
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by griz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:13 pm
Cornuck wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am
TRADE: The Lightning have traded forward J.T. Miller to Vancouver for a conditional first-round pick in 2020, a third-round selection in 2019 and goaltender Marek Mazanec. Should the Canucks not make the playoffs in 2019-20, the first-round selection will move to the 2021 draft.
I LOVE THIS TRADE!! :rockin:

Miller is a large, fast, physical top six forward who plays all 3 forward positions.

And he's on a great contract.

When Miller plays in the top 6 (he didn't last season on a deep Tampa team) he racks up the points.

Your Vancouver Canucks needed a player like this, Blob Buddies need to break out of rebuild mentality.

It's time.

Try to focus on the Stanley Cup.

Jimmy will recoup a 1st in another trade along the way...

Rejoice Canuck fans!

REJOICE!!! :rockin:
My thoughts exactly Doc.

Looking forward to seeing how Miller helps the team.

I think it's too early to evaluate this single move. What if Miller rocks? What if the Canucks get a 1st back through other means? What if they also added a big name or two? I think when Pods gets here the nucks will be a great young team.

Post Reply