2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Carl Yagro »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 pm
Hank wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm I've been watching a lot of the highlights between Broberg and Soderstrom and I have to say, I like Soderstrom's overall game better. I think it's way ahead and more complete than Broberg's at this point.

While Broberg looks more dynamic, carrying the puck on the rush, his skating looks awkward like Bambi. He does have some great speed once he gets going though. I don't see a lot of footage of his defensive or transitional game. Will his game translate at the NHL level right away? I could be way wrong but he looks like a hit or miss type.

To me, Soderstrom looks better in all 3 zones. High IQ, really solid defensively, but his transition game is like, really really good. Breakout passes are clean and consistent, doesn't rush the puck as much as Byram or Broberg. Think Tanev but much better offensively. In the O zone, he looks like a PP QB the way he can walk the line and process the play. Plus, being right-handed, his cache is much higher.

We're going to get something good at #10 no matter what :thumbs:
Broberg’s main knock is his IQ and skating. He’s fast once he gets going but his edge work, lateral skating etc is nothing like Soderstroms. When it comes to IQ, Soderstrom wins by a fair margin.

It’s a real toss up but I’d rather have Soderstrom at this point
Exactly Dude. The Broberg looks like he's wearing clown skates, but once he winds up and gets going, he looks smooth, effortless and ridiculously fast for someone his size.

It's the agility and edgework that I'm concerned about. At the NHL level, you're not going to blow by entire teams regularly like in his highlights. I didn't see much of his quickness or acceleration in the defensive zone from a standstill, his reads and reacts, his IQ. Also didn't see a whole lot of consistent breakout passes to his forwards either.

To me, he could be a Sergachev or a Lilligren... and I'm not sold on Sergachev. I think he's just on a good team. His defensive game or IQ doesn't overly impress me.

Soderstrom looks to have a much better NHL game already. The only things he might need are a much better shot, to fill out a bit and some NHL strength.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:49 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:46 pm
Hank wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm I've been watching a lot of the highlights between Broberg and Soderstrom and I have to say, I like Soderstrom's overall game better. I think it's way ahead and more complete than Broberg's at this point.

While Broberg looks more dynamic, carrying the puck on the rush, his skating looks awkward like Bambi. He does have some great speed once he gets going though. I don't see a lot of footage of his defensive or transitional game. Will his game translate at the NHL level right away? I could be way wrong but he looks like a hit or miss type.

To me, Soderstrom looks better in all 3 zones. High IQ, really solid defensively, but his transition game is like, really really good. Breakout passes are clean and consistent, doesn't rush the puck as much as Byram or Broberg. Think Tanev but much better offensively. In the O zone, he looks like a PP QB the way he can walk the line and process the play. Plus, being right-handed, his cache is much higher.

I’d be okay with soderstrom as well, especially with him playing in a tougher league. I just like brobergs size and skating combination.
Soderstrom is pretty confident, like Pettersson confident. The SEL didn’t phase him at all as a 17 year old. He also plays a gritty game. When he matures he will be playing around 5’-11” 190 lbs. Hes not exactly small
5’-11” is the new 6’2” in the new nhl.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hank wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:08 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 pm

Broberg’s main knock is his IQ and skating. He’s fast once he gets going but his edge work, lateral skating etc is nothing like Soderstroms. When it comes to IQ, Soderstrom wins by a fair margin.

It’s a real toss up but I’d rather have Soderstrom at this point
Exactly Dude. The Broberg looks like he's wearing clown skates, but once he winds up and gets going
Remember Donald Brashears end to end rushes? Once he got going there was no stopping the Donald. The same may apply to Broberg
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

To be fair, Broberg might be ranked higher on some lists due to his size and higher offensive ceiling.

That's why drafts are a crapshoot.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If we'er drafting a defense man, or acquiring one, or both, we better make sure he has a shot from the point.
I've heard it said that isn't as important in today's game,>>Rot.
I sure have seen enough of the playoffs to know it still is.
Just the fact opposing teams know you have one on the point that can, if he wants to, let it rip.
That in itself opens up more opportunities on the PP as it forces teams to cover for it.

When's the last time we had that? Not slugger Gudbranson, he never used it. But it didn't matter cause he was too slow for the PP.
We've been using Brock a big part of the time.
Before that, we used Daniel's cannonading blast. yup.
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

micky107 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:07 am If we'er drafting a defense man, or acquiring one, or both, we better make sure he has a shot from the point.
I've heard it said that isn't as important in today's game,>>Rot.
I sure have seen enough of the playoffs to know it still is.
Just the fact opposing teams know you have one on the point that can, if he wants to, let it rip.
That in itself opens up more opportunities on the PP as it forces teams to cover for it.

When's the last time we had that? Not slugger Gudbranson, he never used it. But it didn't matter cause he was too slow for the PP.
We've been using Brock a big part of the time.
Before that, we used Daniel's cannonading blast. yup.
You know who still has a blast from the point? PK Subban
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Drafting RHD Soderstrom sets up the eventual trade of RHD Tanev? Maybe not right away but something tells me Soderstrom is more ready for prime time than not with playing a season in the SEL as a 17 year old. Ya got RHD Woo coming and Stecher is a RHD man.

If Edler is signed the left sides will be an interesting watch with Hughes, Hutton and Juolevi playing the left side. Something has to give there if Edler is signed. Hutton or Juolevi moved? Doubt it’s Ollli
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:14 pm [
Remember Donald Brashears end to end rushes? Once he got going there was no stopping the Donald.
Here's one for the CC vault - who was the poster that has that classic Larscheid quote in his signature line - "he went coast to coast like buttered toast!"?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:21 am
Remember Donald Brashears end to end rushes? Once he got going there was no stopping the Donald.
Here's one for the CC vault - who was the poster that has that classic Larscheid quote in his signature line - "he went coast to coast like buttered toast!"?
“Pavel Bure walked around Numinnen like he was a drugstore Indian”
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:02 pm
Lol, did he really say that? I miss Tommy
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:23 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:02 pm
Lol, did he really say that? I miss Tommy
He absolutely did. Early 90s. We used to turn the volume of the TV set down and put it on CKNW. Loved Robson, was not a massive fan of Larscheid but he’s a damn site better than Corey Hirsch or Dave Thomlinsen
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lol, we used to do that to, turn the set down and dial up Jim and Tom. The politically incorrect days of old, Tommy didn’t mince words
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Pronman’s top 107 prospects has Dach at 10th, with the likes of Krebs, Newhook and Podkolzin after him. Would you take Dach in that situation if you’re Benning?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:20 pm Lol, we used to do that to, turn the set down and dial up Jim and Tom. The politically incorrect days of old, Tommy didn’t mince words
I think many If is did the CKNW thing while watching the TV on mute.

Jim and Tim were gold.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Except a stick to the head. That stopped him pretty good.
The only HW the Canucks need