2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:10 am Lol there isn’t a history of a GM batting 1000 but you and your fellow gilpers say he IS batting 1000... hasn’t made ANY mistakes in your world. :lol:
Cause we’re too busy defending his situation

“I’m studying Aussie Rules Football. It’s the future of hockey” - Gillis on Sekeres and Price
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Again with the trolling .... sigh not sure why I expected anything else. Keep on keepin on. :mex:

Sad that you fear actually answering or rebutting points or questions but I get it. You’re so far down the rabbit hole now you’d need a search party to find you.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:47 am
Carlyee wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:23 am
Lancer wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:13 am Krebs or Boldy if they are available. Soderstrom if they're not; hopefully not. Soderstrom screams a ceiling of max 4D Hamhuis without the physicality. I know the blueline is a mess, but a top-6 W or C is more valuable than a 4D. We got Woo in the 2nd round and we have Juolevi coming in, so why not grab a Dman in the 2nd? Krebs is a C but no doubt can move to W if needed, or be a trade piece for a #1-2 D if the situation was right. Maybe he makes one of the top 4 core expendable?
Woo could be Poliout 2.0 why is everyone pencilling in a guy with zero pedigree as the savior on defense.
He very well could be. That’s why they need more prospects at every position. These kids will fail 7/10 times. So if you have ten good prospects, you likely have have three decent NHL players down the road. It’s funny the same guys holding a torch for Tryamkin to return are also putting Woo and Juolevi in a future top 4 defence.

It’s like drafting for need, it’s asinine. ‘Oh we have a hole on defence right now, let’s draft Olaf. We have two wingers in the pipeline drafted in the first round so we don’t need wingers.’ That kind of stupid thinking ends up biting you in the ass. There’s STILL a massive hole on the wing three years later. And on D.
Draft the best player available. Period. End of story. Simple. A team can assess positional needs and make trades or sign free agents in the short/medium term.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Absolutely Carlyee. Always BPA. Then again if you are a waterhead with aspergers ....... :mex:
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:30 am
Lancer wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:13 am Krebs or Boldy if they are available. Soderstrom if they're not; hopefully not. Soderstrom screams a ceiling of max 4D Hamhuis without the physicality. I know the blueline is a mess, but a top-6 W or C is more valuable than a 4D. We got Woo in the 2nd round and we have Juolevi coming in, so why not grab a Dman in the 2nd? Krebs is a C but no doubt can move to W if needed, or be a trade piece for a #1-2 D if the situation was right. Maybe he makes one of the top 4 core expendable?
Woo could be Poliout 2.0 why is everyone pencilling in a guy with zero pedigree as the savior on defense.
Savior?

Yeah k
I was being facetious. The fact that Woo is even being penciled into the NHL right now is ridiculous. Like completely stupid. He’s a man playing against boys in Junior. He’s done fuck all against professional hockey players and Canucks fans appear to be gifting him a spot in the NHL as early as next season.

I understand everyone is excited for the future but manage your expectations people.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Its because Hughes Juolevi and him are the only promising defensive prospects this organization has had in 14+ years (and that one drove himself into a kenworth grill).

Grasping at straws is a canucks fans favorite pastime Carl. You know this as well as anyone :lol:
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Carlyee wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:23 am
Savior?

Yeah k
I understand everyone is excited for the future but manage your expectations people.

Thanks for the advice.

My new mantra

There’s no hope for Woo, he sucks!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Wow you’re dramatic.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

54 going on 14.

Incapable of engaging in a decent debate or conversation
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I prefer a 2/3 D over a top 6 forward - the biggest reason being D rarely make it to FA while there seem to be top 6 guys available almost every year. D seem to be much harder to trade for and usually have more value, again all things being equal. Both are definitely needed though. I’m fine with a F in the 1st and a D in the 2nd, assuming both are BPA at their picks.

As for Woo, I don’t think anybody was pencilling him in next year for the Nucks, but he’s a solid prospect. Another player or two like him is good (not pointed at you, but at subsequent posts in this thread).
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:56 am 54 going on 14.

Incapable of engaging in a decent debate or conversation
How does one take “temper your expectations of until you see what you have” all the the way to “the guy sucks”? With that kind of attitude why get out of bed.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:36 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:47 am
He very well could be. That’s why they need more prospects at every position. These kids will fail 7/10 times. So if you have ten good prospects, you likely have have three decent NHL players down the road. It’s funny the same guys holding a torch for Tryamkin to return are also putting Woo and Juolevi in a future top 4 defence.

It’s like drafting for need, it’s asinine. ‘Oh we have a hole on defence right now, let’s draft Olaf. We have two wingers in the pipeline drafted in the first round so we don’t need wingers.’ That kind of stupid thinking ends up biting you in the ass. There’s STILL a massive hole on the wing three years later. And on D.
Free agent signings - Chatfield, Sautner, Rafferty, Teves, MacEwen, Keily, Stecher worst than 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th round picks? They are a couple years older than an 18 year old draft pick, more ready, more of you know what you’re getting than an 18 year old mystery teenager, cross your fingers hope they pan out. Wasn’t Tanev a free agent signing? Boesers college teammate Stecher has turned out no? Don’t count?
So far we’ve had what, 30 games combined from all the guys you mentioned if you remove Stecher? A whole bunch of 22-25 year old unknowns are what I see, hopefully some work out but it’s far from a sure thing.

I’ve never seen anybody say don’t sign college or junior free agents, get talent wherever you can. Draft more by getting more picks, sign undrafted guys who have a chance to play in the NHL, trade for some extra talent, sign free agents, etc - whatever you can do to get more talent into the system. Who cares if it ‘counts’ or not, it’s about making the team better.

I’ve never understood the argument of ‘why do we need more picks, let’s sign NCAA guys instead’. There’s a ton of competition for undrafted guys, there’s no promise you’ll get them, and they rarely become actual impact players. Get as much talent as you can and hopefully you find a few more gems than your competitors, don’t care how you do it.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:25 am
I prefer a 2/3 D over a top 6 forward - the biggest reason being D rarely make it to FA while there seem to be top 6 guys available almost every year. D seem to be much harder to trade for and usually have more value, again all things being equal. Both are definitely needed though. I’m fine with a F in the 1st and a D in the 2nd, assuming both are BPA at their picks.

As for Woo, I don’t think anybody was pencilling him in next year for the Nucks, but he’s a solid prospect. Another player or two like him is good (not pointed at you, but at subsequent posts in this thread).
Not even I was pencilling in Woo for next season. My point is that you can get decent D prospects outside of the top 10 picks. Soderstrom appears to have a high floor but a low ceiling in terms of potential. If all he ends up being is a nondescript 12-15 minute blueliner who mans the 2nd PK unit, is that worth using a top-10 pick? We saw this before with Bourdon and Kopitar. Why not go for a C/W with a higher projected ceiling?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well, after the U-18 tourney, I think projections will be altering.
Cozens will not be around at 9 or 10. Try 4. yikes.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Carlyee wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:23 am
Savior?

Yeah k
I was being facetious. The fact that Woo is even being penciled into the NHL right now is ridiculous. Like completely stupid. He’s a man playing against boys in Junior. He’s done fuck all against professional hockey players and Canucks fans appear to be gifting him a spot in the NHL as early as next season.

Easy big fella. Who is pencilling in Woo right now? Yo? I think you’ve confused folk with being enthusiastic about a certain prospect with the same very folk thinking Woo will be slaying the dragon bigly time in the NHL next season. Most everyone knows Woo is going back to the dub next year, jabrone.