2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:17 am
SKYO wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 pm
micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:08 pm
Tiger wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:19 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 am My prediction - drafting 10th overall
Good call ! Now who do we get at 10 ?
Soderstrom
in depth. https://dobberprospects.com/player/victor-soderstrom/
February 2019 – Söderström has been spending most of this season at the top level in Sweden in the SHL, and he’s been given a good role where he gets to play good minutes and also sees time on the power play. Söderström may actually be the second-best defenseman in his draft class. He’s a strong puck-mover who likes to join the rush but he’s also a very strong player defensively. His hockey sense is very high and he uses it at both ends of the rink.

He’s a very smooth and talented skater who is capable of playing big minutes. He also has a good shot, and he’s able to get it through traffic pretty frequently. It’s also a good thing for NHL teams that he shoots from the right side.

At 5-foot-11, Söderström isn’t big but he likes to throw his weight around. It’s pretty easy to project him as a middle-pair defenseman but he has upside to become a number two if everything goes well.
-Jokke Nevalainen
Right shot, projected 2nd best dman avail this draft, he's going top 9 imo.
He’s playing with men in the Swedish Elite League and not looking out of place, is playing really good hockey in the SEL. Soderstrom also plays with an edge, loves to hit, he’s far from soft. Could step in the NHL next season.

I get the sense that he will go higher than expected.
The more homework I do on this kid I get the same feeling dude
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

He’s the stealth pick, Rats

I worry about Zegras, Turcotte, Boldy and Caulfield. They all played the season with Jack Hughes. Caulfield, Zegras and Hughes all played on the same line. I think the Americans might look better than they are due to the company they kept all season. Although Turcotte and Boldy played down in the lineup - 2nd, 3rd and 4th line rarely playing with Caulfield, Hughes and Zegras. I think everyone needs to cool their jets on Caulfield. Just because DeBrincat does well doesn’t mean every 5’-7” player is the next DeBrincat.

I’m all in on Soderstrom or Krebs (work ethic), but Edmontonite - Krebs ain’t getting past Edmonton. It’s Soderstrom for me
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

FYI krebs is from Okotoks... more a flamer than a coiler..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ahh me bad, regardless the Coil need help on their other forward lines or D. Don’t need centres. It’s Krebs (can play wing) or Boldy or Soderstrom to the Oil
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Raphael Lavoie underrated big center/winger,
6'4 - 200lbs - right shot power forward, from Montreal, Quebec.

If he's in shape at the NHL draft combine, he'd be a sneaky good pick/slight reach at #10.
TSN/Bob McKenzie has him #14.

Raphael Lavoie of the Halifax Mooseheads has been named Canadian Hockey League Player of the Week for the week ending April 7.

Lavoie had nine points (six goals, three assists) with a plus-8 rating in four games.

The 18-year-old had a three-point effort versus the Quebec Remparts in Game 6 that ended in a 6-1 final, and added another point in the series-deciding game, a 3-1 win for the Mooseheads.

He opened the second round with two goals and one assist in a 5-3 win against the Moncton Wildcats, and had another two goals in Game 2.

Lavoie, had a personal-best 73 points (32 goals, 41 assists) in 62 games for Halifax this season. The total placed him third on the Mooseheads.

Scored 5 goals in 5 games for Team Canada in the WJC-18's.

https://futureconsiderations.ca/lavoie- ... -the-week/
"Few bigger forwards in the 2019 group can motor and handle the puck as well as Lavoie, who plays with confidence while controlling the puck. He's a sound decision maker and can score goals from just about anywhere in the offensive zone."
-Steve Kournianos
Like big Anthony Mantha power winger was drafted #20.
Chris Kreider #19.
Poehling #25.

These quality big wingers either had some skating issues or consistency, but if they have the work ethic these types are hard to get as big power wingers.

Lavoie should get some consideration from scouting staff, at least moved up "The List".
Last edited by SKYO on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Zero interest in Lavoie
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yuck to Soderstrom
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:52 am Zero interest in Lavoie
Start checking in on him RD, solid regular season and gets better in the playoffs even in tournaments with Team Canada, seems like a natural sniper with a big bod.
Raphael Lavoie, RW, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL): With a big body, skating ability and a great shot, Lavoie just needed to show scouts some consistency.

Well, the playoffs have been perfect for that, as the 2019 draft prospect leads the ‘Q’ with 18 points in 11 games. Perhaps even more importantly, he has tallied points in every single one of those games.
------

Just 10 games into the #QPlayoffs and Raphael Lavoie of the @HFXMooseheads is closing in on team history for goals in a playoff season.

Lavoie at 13 goals right now is tied with Jonathan Drouin and Nathan MacKinnon for most goals in the playoffs on team Halifax.
Some random Stefan Fournier has the team lead at 16 to beat.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:24 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:59 am I think youre wrong carlyee. I think he was only at the last half of the year recovering from that clutterfuck injury

Hes not a floater imo
Agreed.
Fair points. If he shows something next year I’ll gladly listen to the collective “I told you so”.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:01 am Yuck to Soderstrom
Why is that? I like this kid a lot, very good skater, good puck handler, lots of hockey sense, plays tight D and plays in the SHL. To me he woul d be a great pick at #10, subject to who else is available that is.

I'd go either LW (Zegras, Krebs, Boldy) or RHD (Soderstrom) at our pick, assuming it goes to script. If not, take the faller - I could see Dach, Turcotte (injuries) falling to #10 as well.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:11 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:01 am Yuck to Soderstrom
Why is that?
He’s Swedish like Turtle sucker punch recipient - Wenneberg
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:11 am [quote="Blob Mckenzie" post_id=337826 time=<a href="tel:1555005672">1555005672</a> user_id=51]
Yuck to Soderstrom
Why is that? I like this kid a lot, very good skater, good puck handler, lots of hockey sense, plays tight D and plays in the SHL. To me he woul d be a great pick at #10, subject to who else is available that is.

I'd go either LW (Zegras, Krebs, Boldy) or RHD (Soderstrom) at our pick, assuming it goes to script. If not, take the faller - I could see Dach, Turcotte (injuries) falling to #10 as well.
[/quote]

Just like seeing Dude get upset. This team is razor thin in depth at all skating positions. As long as they take the best player available I’m all good
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

No room for any more defencemen needing booster seats
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Can take a quick gander at #7 - #16 range players sportsnet has.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/spo ... ngs-april/
7. Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP, 6-foot, 166 pounds: Think Patrick Kane in terms of puck-handling and playmaking.

8. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon Blades (WHL), 6-foot-3, 199 pounds: A cerebral game with everything in place to become a top-notched NHL player. Would love to see more consistent push-back.

9. Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTDP, 6-foot-1, 187 pounds: The size and skill combination projects a skilled power forward.

10. Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay Ice (WHL), 5-foot-11, 180 pounds: Will better be able to show off his skills by playing with better players at the U18s. Should also find inspiration on a team that will have a chance to win.

11. Arthur Kaliyev, RW, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL) 6-foot-1, 190 pounds: The company for 50 or more goals scored in an age 17 OHL season include John Tavares, Steven Stamkos, Jeff Skinner and most recently Alex DeBrincat.

12. Thomas Harley, D, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL), 6-foot-3, 188 pounds: Philip Broberg (as we’ll note in a bit) excelled at the Hlinka-Gretzky Tournament — Harley has played most of his season as well as Broberg did at the Hlinka, finishing with 58 points in 68 games.

13. Victor Soderstrom, D, Brynas (Sweden U20), 5-foot-11, 179 pounds: A hybrid of Adam Boqvist and Nils Lundqvist from last year’s first round.

14. Cole Caufield, RW, USNTDP, 5-foot-7, 155 pounds: The best pure sniper in the draft, but the size will scare teams and likely make him a first-round value pick.

15. Raphael Lavoie, C/RW, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL), 6-foot-3, 191 pounds: Has re-entered the conversation by playing the most inspired hockey of his career lately. The timing could not have been better.

16. Alex Newhook, C, Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL), 5-foot-10, 195 pounds: Decimated the competition in the BCHL scoring race and did it in fewer games than his five closest competitors.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I know everyone is talking players here, and I am not trying to derail that, but I think the most important thing to realize is that with Vancouver hosting the draft, we have an opportunity to slightly adjust certain views league wide in how the league, players, officials, media and fans views this organization. It won't be much, just a little adjustment that might be the start of something bigger 10 years down the road.

What I mean is, right now, everyone hates us. I don't say that lightly, with the 'us against the world' attitude that most teams seem to have, I actually mean it. It was never more obvious that he 2011 finals when CBC was cheering for Boston over a Canadian team. Nobody wanted the Canucks to win. Only time in history that a Canadian team in the finals wasn't "Canada's Team". Heck, even during the various lottery drafts, sports net has 'unbiased' opinions were hoping the Canucks didn't win first overall (google that fucktard - The O-Dog- O'Niel) right on live TV. The League has made rules and named them after us "the Luongo Rule", and then punished us with the rule changes after a contract was written, and approved by them! They changed game rules mid season "The Bertuzzi Push-off", and countless other examples.

We have an opportunity to change that perception.

It won't be fast, nor easy, but we as fans, have an opportunity if we want to use it.

And it's simple. So very, very simple.

We already know that the draft will be a quality event, classy and professional. Showcasing the city and the team..but,
When the draft starts, we do something NO OTHER FAN BASE HAS EVER DONE:

Cheer Bettman.

Before roasting me outright on this, think it through. We Cheer him loud, and long. Make him love us. I kind a hate him too, which makes writing this hard,but Has a guy like that ever had anyone's cheer him? How would that affect him?

..... and What if he liked it?

If We became his favourite fan base, how does that affect his thinking? Can you imagine what the TSN and Sportsnet guys would be forced to say that day? They would HAVE to say good things about the organization or look like bigger twats than most of them already are. Hockey players know that Bettman has done good things for the league (and I grudgingly say he honestly has), could that not potentially make this a more desireable landing place for UFA's? What happens to the views of the mildly interested hockey fan when they hear positive reviews?? How does that affect the <ahem> unbiased redding and suspension calls?

Seriously, what's the worst that can happen? Everyone hates us more? Is that possible, an do we care if they do?

Think on this.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.