Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 pm Of note Jim's father (Elmer) was is a pro scout for the Montreal Habs.
:)
SKYO wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 pm But make no mistake Jim has earned his way to his current position as an NHL General Manager. :thumbs: I think we are lucky to have a GM like Benning, I believe in this dude.
Agreed, did you know Jimmy turned down a job as Sabres' GM before accepting the the Canucks' job?

:D
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:11 pm
SKYO wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 pm Of note Jim's father (Elmer) was is a pro scout for the Montreal Habs.
Dang still? aha he must be an uber elder on the scouts list.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:38 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:47 am Don't think JB has the balls, fortitude and bleeds Canuck colours like Nonis.
Dont recall cheeseburger nonis ever lacing up for the sliding spaghetti...maybe in the concession stand gorging on hot dogs
score 1 for UDL.

--
Just some wiki info on JB...

After Jim Benning's ten year NHL playing career including four years with the Canucks he went in as a amateur scout for the Anaheim Ducks, then moved on to the Buffalo Sabres as a scout for four years before being promoted to their Director of Amateur Scouting for six years where they drafted some superb players, after which he became the Assistant General Manager for the Boston Bruins for six/seven years where the Bruins eventually won the Cup in 2011.

2014 onwards, Jim and Bracket have unearthed some gems in the draft and imo have accumulated some core players for the next Canucks contending team in a couple years onwards.

Of note Jim's father was a pro scout for the Montreal Habs.

I think having Trev here was good for the gradual turnover for Jim and his crew, helped with the transition of the tortuous rebuild with all the fickle fans, the emo media and the owners who are win hungry.

Jim Benning has put in a lot of NHL dues from being a player, to scout to assistant GM to now having his full NHL team under his control, he went at this in a proper professional way, and hopefully he can make some solid moves to help transition in the younger players further.
He really needs that key trade to win over some fans though aha.

But make no mistake Jim has earned his way to his current position as an NHL General Manager. :thumbs: I think we are lucky to have a GM like Benning, I believe in this dude.
Here’s a great article on Elmer.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsn ... ey/sn-amp/
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:11 pm
SKYO wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 pm But make no mistake Jim has earned his way to his current position as an NHL General Manager. :thumbs: I think we are lucky to have a GM like Benning, I believe in this dude.
Agreed, did you know Jimmy turned down a job as Sabres' GM before accepting the the Canucks' job?

:D
If you say so
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jimbro will go down as one of the greatest GMs in Canuck history. Chef Boi reclines to his siesta and enjoys the view of his innate ability to see in to the future.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:37 am Jimbro will go down as one of the greatest GMs in Canuck history. Chef Boi reclines to his siesta and enjoys the view of his innate ability to see in to the future.
If he builds that Masterpiece Dynasty you've also foretold, then there's no doubt that he is the greatest GM in Canucks history.

If he's not the GM when the Canucks (eventually, someday) win the Stanley Cup, then he's tied with everyone else who has tried at zero.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Nice to see my buddy Strangelove is still throwing my name around here even when I’ve been away for a couple of weeks - he sure makes a guy feel loved. ;)

My take on the Linden situation is it seems like much ado about nothing. Sure, perhaps he wanted the more patient, long term rebuild but it’s not like they were doing that while he was here, so I don’t see how this changes anything. I did like his strategy of speaking with other teams that have rebuilt but given he’s gone it’s a moot point. I have dealt with Aquilini in business before and he’s the type who gets what he wants, won’t let anybody stand in his way, so this doesn’t surprise me. We all knew he was pulling the strings anyway, so it’s business as usual.

It does put more pressure on Jimbo now though - he’s going to take all the heat if (when) they suck this year, can’t have Linden helping him to deflect anymore. Likely won’t be that much different last few years for him but if it really goes south the he’s going to be main one in the line of fire (even if Aquilini should be).

Still a couple of months to make some changes before the season starts, we will see what happens.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well I didn't want to post any of the numerous 18/19 power rankings. (predictions of the standings).
Suffice to say the "highest" I saw the Canucks was 27th. All others were worse.

Someone will be doling out the green when we finish 15th.
Bank on it. 8-)
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:45 pm Nice to see my buddy Strangelove is still throwing my name around here even when I’ve been away for a couple of weeks - he sure makes a guy feel loved. ;)
Yes well I noticed you lurking a lot and I thought I'd try to draw you back in.

Why? Because I love you... and your speculation:
Diehard1 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:45 pm My take on the Linden situation is it seems like much ado about nothing. Sure, perhaps he wanted the more patient, long term rebuild but it’s not like they were doing that while he was here, so I don’t see how this changes anything. I did like his strategy of speaking with other teams that have rebuilt but given he’s gone it’s a moot point. I have dealt with Aquilini in business before and he’s the type who gets what he wants, won’t let anybody stand in his way, so this doesn’t surprise me. We all knew he was pulling the strings anyway, so it’s business as usual.

It does put more pressure on Jimbo now though - he’s going to take all the heat if (when) they suck this year, can’t have Linden helping him to deflect anymore. Likely won’t be that much different last few years for him but if it really goes south the he’s going to be main one in the line of fire (even if Aquilini should be).

Still a couple of months to make some changes before the season starts, we will see what happens.
BTW if you reeeeeally wanna feel the love, check your private message folder, you finally got one! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:23 pm Well I didn't want to post any of the numerous 18/19 power rankings. (predictions of the standings).
Suffice to say the "highest" I saw the Canucks was 27th. All others were worse.

Someone will be doling out the green when we finish 15th.
Bank on it. 8-)
Without Hughes we're basically the same team this year as last. An elite skating defenseman can make or break a team usually...and its going to be another "break" scenario unfortunately.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

There is a HUGE difference this year. That is the key. New leaders, will create an excitement and new culture.
That is not disrespect for the retirees. I think many will be surprised how it unfolds.
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Lancer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:34 am This is the new paradigm for mass communication: bypass the mainstream media and either go through corporate-owned media or communicate directly through social media. Much more comfortable for them than dealing with uncomfortable questions from a professionally skeptical corps of journalists. No doubt Linden signed some kind of gag arrangement as part of the ‘amicable’ parting of ways.
Yeah, good point. Too bad, it'd be nice to see Francisco show some ballz and speak to the fans thru a press conference, instead of hiding in the background all the time. Getting JB and Greener to speak for him to address the state of the franchise didn't cut it.

micky107 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:45 am Don't worry! Trevor will always be an ambassador.
Doesn't need a position to be that.
I hope so. I just hope all this didn't leave a sour taste in Trev's mouth, so he stays away from the franchise like he did during the MG era. As Lancer pointed out, Trev is going to stay quiet and keep a low profile for while. Just hope he'll be back down the road.
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:13 pm Thanks for the contract info though Todd, I figured Benning was regularly going over Trev's (figure)head

... but I did not know it was actually written into his contract! :wow:
NP man. Don't need to thank me, I'm just a messenger. U can thank your good bud the Botch-man. :lol:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:38 am Dont recall cheeseburger nonis ever lacing up for the sliding spaghetti...maybe in the concession stand gorging on hot dogs
Well, my point was not so much who was a better player in Cheezeburgler Nonis vs Pall Bear JB. The point is the character and commitment to the franchise in Nonis and JB. I think Nonis showed his character when he refused to trade Edler/Kes for an aging star B.Richards. Would JB stand up to the Aqua-man if he was ordered to trade some top young players for an aging star? Right now, I dunno and I do have my doubts.

I was thinking of this awhile back. I know this was a long time ago and it was a total different regime, but JB's playing days as a Canuck ended with some controversy and one could view that JB wasn't treated fairly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Benning
Benning spent the next four seasons with the Canucks, becoming a veteran with the team, as well as scoring 12 goals and 70 points in that span despite some injuries.[21][22] His style of play during this period was described as "effective but rarely conspicuous."[23] Benning was described as becoming a more conservative, albeit more complete player with the Canucks.[12] Early in the 1989–90 season, he was considered one of the Canucks' best performers in the absence of Paul Reinhart.[23] The Canucks, according to coach Bob McCammon, however, found greater success without Benning in their lineup, though it was "no reflection on him."[24] Benning believed he was playing well, resulting in confusion between the two sides.[24] Following a streak of nine consecutive games scratched from the Canucks' lineup, the team requested that Benning be demoted to their International Hockey League affiliate Milwaukee Admirals, although he declined.[25][26] After a brief period of uncertainty with the Canucks in which he was told not to attend practice, Benning was asked to rejoin the team after an injury to Harold Snepsts vacated a roster position.[27][28] He experienced a three-point game in his return, but was scratched again for the remainder of the season afterward due to the organization's belief that he was too small.[28][29]

After the conclusion of the 1989–90 NHL season, Benning signed a termination contract with the Vancouver Canucks.[30] Early in the subsequent preseason, Benning was sidelined with a bruised knee.[31] A month later, he was reassigned to the Milwaukee Admirals as the Canucks sought to trade him.[32] He concluded the 1990–91 season with the Admirals.[33]
Who knows, maybe deep inside JB still holds some ill will. When push comes to shove and he is ordered to make a trade where he has to sacrifice some young players he really believes in, he'll just compromise saying to himself: it's a tough business. This franchise wasn't there for him when he was a player. He saw what happened to Trevor and it's not really his call anyways, so he has got to do what he has to do.

Yes, I know I'm reachin a bit, just thinking hypothetically. Btw, I also happen to be a Psych major, so I have Freudian ability to read ppl and/or I luv sniffin the Elmer. :lol: *jk* *jk*
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:45 pm My take on the Linden situation is it seems like much ado about nothing. Sure, perhaps he wanted the more patient, long term rebuild but it’s not like they were doing that while he was here, so I don’t see how this changes anything. I did like his strategy of speaking with other teams that have rebuilt but given he’s gone it’s a moot point. I have dealt with Aquilini in business before and he’s the type who gets what he wants, won’t let anybody stand in his way, so this doesn’t surprise me. We all knew he was pulling the strings anyway, so it’s business as usual.

U raise some interesting points. Just a couple comments:

a) Although JB said Aqua-man told him there won't be a replacement for Trev, I think it's in their interest to find a guy to be a public figure for them. JB has become better with the media thru experience, but it's still not his strength. Aqua-man doesn't seem to like the spotlight, so he should find someone to speak for him. Trev did a lot of this when he was here and he was pretty good at it, it's a big void. It's doesn't have to be a big name hockey guy, a media savy business type would fit the bill nicely. Kind of like the John McCaw days, he never said anything; however, he had a bunch of Orca Bay guys do it for him. They did have Burkie too. He was great with the media and could handle most situations himself. JB is a far cry from BB in terms of charisma, personality and ability to handle the spotlight.

b) I heard the G-Spot (Tony Gallagher) say that he thinks the patriarch of the family (Father Aqualini) still has a lot of say/power in the family. The boys do what the Big Daddy says, but Francisco takes most of the heat if things don't turn out the way they wanted. The G-Spot also pointed out it's Aqua-man's MO to have a replacement ready when he cans someone (ie: MG for Nonis; Trev for MG). It'll be interesting to see if one gets named soon.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Aquaman’s MO sure has been to have a replacement picked before he fires someone. That’s why I’m putting more stock in Trevor quitting and it caught owners by surprise. They tried to push him to sway in a direction he didn’t agree with so he walked.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:59 pm The Aquaman’s MO sure has been to have a replacement picked before he fires someone. That’s why I’m putting more stock in Trevor quitting and it caught owners by surprise. They tried to push him to sway in a direction he didn’t agree with so he walked.
I do believe Trev’s enough of a man of principle to do something like that. I believe the narrative of Aquabros approaching Trev about the job vice the other way around. I think he took the job with conviction and diligence but it wasn’t a matter of personal ambition for him. He has too many other things to keep him busy and happy.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.