When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

When will the Canucks next make the playoffs?

2018-19
29%
2019-20
47%
2020-21
21%
2021-22
No votes
2022-23
No votes
after we're all dead and buried
3%

Total votes: 38

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:41 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:59 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:52 pm I don’t see Vancouver as Bubble's team.
:hmmm:
They are my team. Always will be.
Okay Blob, happy birthday.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:43 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:41 pm I’m just realistic about how good they are.
Yah, me too.
Actually you two are overly negative.

But that's okay, not everyone can handle a rebuild.

You two aren't heavy, you're my brothers...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob can absolutely handle a rebuild.

The IGC however doesn’t seem to be able to
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:10 pm Blob can absolutely handle a rebuild.
As long as he doesn't watch the games and drinks copious amounts of alcohol.

Speaking of copious amounts of alcohol, happy birthday Blob. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Why is it that these polls seem to close very quickly?

It seems once all the cultists get their votes in the poll is shut down

I feel like Nicholas Cage in the Wicker Man
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:14 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:10 pm Blob can absolutely handle a rebuild.

So now I don’t watch any games?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:52 pm Doughty is a top 3 d man in the game. His season was no fluke, neither was Kopitar’s or Quick’s season. They are top 5 players in the league at their positions. I’ll grant you Brownie had a flukey season and looked like he was back in 2012. Still they have Muzzin and Martinez on that back end as well. They would be the Canucks best d men. If Carter is around for the year, that would be huge and now they have Kovalchuk. Factor in Pearson and Toffoli and that’s still a damn good team. Yes they are old but they are also good and big and very deep. This squad has another good year or two in them yet.
The Kings are the 2014/15 Canucks. They had everything break right for them last season, and still got swept. They have won ONE playoff game in the past 4 years. Kopitar shot 17.5 percent last year, as a career average 12.5% shooter. Brown shot 12.5%, as a career average 9.5% (and dropping for 5 years) shooter. They were already one of the lowest-scoring teams to make the playoffs, Kopitar regressing from 35 goals to his career average of 25 goals is probably enough on its own to put them out of the playoff picture, notwithstanding Brown's likely decline.

The Kings scored 19 more goals than the Canucks last season. Brown and Kopitar regressing to their career averages alone could put them neck and neck with Vancouver for team offense.

I don't agree that Quick is a top-5 goalie, he's maybe a top-10, but as we saw in 2016/17 (when Miller outperformed Quick), he can also be a very average goalie. If he is average again next season, they don't make the playoffs. Same with Kopitar - he usually ranges from a top-10 to a top-50 center.
Calgary may have downgraded from Hamilton to Hanifin but they added Lindholm and Neal and only lost Ferklund up front. I don’t think they make playoffs but they should be in the hunt.
Yes, but they failed to address their goaltending.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Oilers are too much of a wildcard to predict. Last year was the only time a team had a 100+ point player and failed to make the playoffs. They could take the division, or they could miss the playoffs.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:14 pm Why is it that these polls seem to close very quickly?
Ahh so once again you wanted to change your vote (lower) because the results were not to your liking. :mex:

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:14 pm I feel like Nicholas Cage in the Wicker Man
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:15 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:14 pm

So now I don’t watch any games?
Well you watch some of them I suppose...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:41 pm I see Boeser exploding as a superstar this season and scoring more than 50 goals on the top line.
But the surprising thing is he’ll score fewer goals than Pettersson who will give the Canucks the most dominate second line in the league. They’ll easily make the playoffs and finish first in the division.
But the even more surprising thing is Pettersson won’t even win the Calder when he scores more goals than Selanne did in his rookie season.
Hughes will win Calder after leading the league in assists - 172.
Also, Demko will be the best rookie goalie since Dryden with a .962 save percentage.
The other teams in the division will miss the playoffs because they all suck!
In fact, they won’t have playoffs this season and will present the Stanley Cup to the Canucks who will be leading the league in points when WWIII breaks out, just Trump being Trump.
But at least before we all die in the nuclear armageddon we’ll have seen the Canucks win the cup.
So, it’ll be a good season, but we’ll all be dead.
All of this seems more reasonable than any of Doc's predictions to date (that don't involve the Leaves anyways).....

:D
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:31 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:52 pm Doughty is a top 3 d man in the game. His season was no fluke, neither was Kopitar’s or Quick’s season. They are top 5 players in the league at their positions. I’ll grant you Brownie had a flukey season and looked like he was back in 2012. Still they have Muzzin and Martinez on that back end as well. They would be the Canucks best d men. If Carter is around for the year, that would be huge and now they have Kovalchuk. Factor in Pearson and Toffoli and that’s still a damn good team. Yes they are old but they are also good and big and very deep. This squad has another good year or two in them yet.
The Kings are the 2014/15 Canucks. They had everything break right for them last season, and still got swept. They have won ONE playoff game in the past 4 years. Kopitar shot 17.5 percent last year, as a career average 12.5% shooter. Brown shot 12.5%, as a career average 9.5% (and dropping for 5 years) shooter. They were already one of the lowest-scoring teams to make the playoffs, Kopitar regressing from 35 goals to his career average of 25 goals is probably enough on its own to put them out of the playoff picture, notwithstanding Brown's likely decline.

The Kings scored 19 more goals than the Canucks last season. Brown and Kopitar regressing to their career averages alone could put them neck and neck with Vancouver for team offense.

I don't agree that Quick is a top-5 goalie, he's maybe a top-10, but as we saw in 2016/17 (when Miller outperformed Quick), he can also be a very average goalie. If he is average again next season, they don't make the playoffs. Same with Kopitar - he usually ranges from a top-10 to a top-50 center.
Calgary may have downgraded from Hamilton to Hanifin but they added Lindholm and Neal and only lost Ferklund up front. I don’t think they make playoffs but they should be in the hunt.
Yes, but they failed to address their goaltending.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Oilers are too much of a wildcard to predict. Last year was the only time a team had a 100+ point player and failed to make the playoffs. They could take the division, or they could miss the playoffs.
Kopitar and Carter is a great 1-2 punch up the middle and Kopitar is a top 10 centre in his sleep. He is a two way horse and good for 75 points a year.

Quick is a much better goalie than Miller ever has been.

I never said LA was a threat to do anything in the playoffs but they should get there.

Carter and Kovalchuk should offset any slumps through the lineup.

Not a bad comparison to the Canucks of 14-15, but I see more of the Canucks of 11-12 and 12-13 sans the stud d man
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:31 pm The Kings are the 2014/15 Canucks. They had everything break right for them last season, and still got swept. They have won ONE playoff game in the past 4 years. Kopitar shot 17.5 percent last year, as a career average 12.5% shooter. Brown shot 12.5%, as a career average 9.5% (and dropping for 5 years) shooter. They were already one of the lowest-scoring teams to make the playoffs, Kopitar regressing from 35 goals to his career average of 25 goals is probably enough on its own to put them out of the playoff picture, notwithstanding Brown's likely decline.
Still a far better team than Vancouver. If Carter is healthy, and Kovalchuk is motivated, they'll score plenty.

I can see Vegas and Anaheim both slipping, maybe more than 10 points, and the Oilers improving 10-15 pts, back into the playoff hunt. The Sharks hover around 100 points as does LA.

Everyone pounds the piss out of Arizona and Vancouver. Vancouver finishes last.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:21 pm
ESQ wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:31 pm The Kings are the 2014/15 Canucks. They had everything break right for them last season, and still got swept. They have won ONE playoff game in the past 4 years. Kopitar shot 17.5 percent last year, as a career average 12.5% shooter. Brown shot 12.5%, as a career average 9.5% (and dropping for 5 years) shooter. They were already one of the lowest-scoring teams to make the playoffs, Kopitar regressing from 35 goals to his career average of 25 goals is probably enough on its own to put them out of the playoff picture, notwithstanding Brown's likely decline.
Still a far better team than Vancouver. If Carter is healthy, and Kovalchuk is motivated, they'll score plenty.

I can see Vegas and Anaheim both slipping, maybe more than 10 points, and the Oilers improving 10-15 pts, back into the playoff hunt. The Sharks hover around 100 points as does LA.

Everyone pounds the piss out of Arizona and Vancouver. Vancouver finishes last.
I agree with Edmonton having a resurgence, their young d should look better and sekera and klef should be healthy. I think both la and sj may take a step back it’s a young mans game, and Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver are gonna be in the hunt for playoffs.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Pacific is going to take a massive dump in points this year.
The Canucks will have to finish 3rd cause there aint no-way, IMO, (lauded and admired), that the Pacific will have either wild card.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:32 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:14 pm Why is it that these polls seem to close very quickly?
Ahh so once again you wanted to disagree with the zealot cultists. When a member of the IGC runs a poll we shut it down after the zealots quickly vote in it. :mex: