When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

When will the Canucks next make the playoffs?

2018-19
29%
2019-20
47%
2020-21
21%
2021-22
No votes
2022-23
No votes
after we're all dead and buried
3%

Total votes: 38

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 pm What is more worrying now are the bad contracts on the team and how it will hamper them from signing a top end defender or 3.
So much wrong with this sentence I don't know where to begin...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:47 am Don Cherry says this Canucks team is going to the playoffs :!:
Don Cherry on the Canucks :

"Looks like they are getting into the playoffs and you need guys like Horvat in the playoffs."
Although I am excite about this team I will wait until 60 games and see how they are doing. Regardless unless this team does a huge spiral downhill this season will be considered a success and a move in the right direction. What is more worrying now are the bad contracts on the team and how it will hamper them from signing a top end defender or 3. Next year will be another development year as they bring in 2 rookies to play on D but stranger things could happen.

I still stand that it will not be until 2020 before they make the playoffs and a year or 2 later then they can be considered a favorite. I will be off on when they make the playoffs but i still see 2 - 3 years away before they can be considered a favorite.
What is worrying me are the league goons that basically get paid for running and destroying budding young talents like on the Canucks.
This happens more often when the only price to pay is monetary, if that.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:58 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:I think Gudbranson gets Tanev money at best.
I am ok with 4 - 4.5 over four or five years. Signing him to a contract that puts him among the top 20 d men in cap hit would be asinine
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 15#p289815
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:01 pm
I am ok with 4 - 4.5 over four or five years. Signing him to a contract that puts him among the top 20 d men in cap hit would be asinine
Boy was I wrong. It’s ok if you guys would admit it yourselves when you are wrong, which is quite frequently

Lol one of your boys thought he was worth 6 million per
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

micky107 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:53 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:47 am Don Cherry says this Canucks team is going to the playoffs :!:
Don Cherry on the Canucks :

"Looks like they are getting into the playoffs and you need guys like Horvat in the playoffs."
Although I am excite about this team I will wait until 60 games and see how they are doing. Regardless unless this team does a huge spiral downhill this season will be considered a success and a move in the right direction. What is more worrying now are the bad contracts on the team and how it will hamper them from signing a top end defender or 3. Next year will be another development year as they bring in 2 rookies to play on D but stranger things could happen.

I still stand that it will not be until 2020 before they make the playoffs and a year or 2 later then they can be considered a favorite. I will be off on when they make the playoffs but i still see 2 - 3 years away before they can be considered a favorite.
What is worrying me are the league goons that basically get paid for running and destroying budding young talents like on the Canucks.
This happens more often when the only price to pay is monetary, if that.
What is worrying me is .... Reefer. With all that optimism he falls somewhere between Eeyore and being on suicide watch.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:05 pm
Boy was I wrong. It’s ok if you guys would admit it yourselves when you are wrong, which is quite frequently
I’m wrong a lot... am I right?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rats19 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:07 pm
I’m wrong a lot... am I right?

Rats you have humility, hell even Dude does. There’s a couple other guys however.....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I am ok with 4 - 4.5 over four or five years.
Boy was I wrong.
Wrong, you were right...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think I was just pre conditioned to accept that 44 was going to get an Eriksson like contract so I blurted out an artificially high number as a way of cushioning the blow of Elmer doing more damage to the cap. It’s a bunk contract but not the worst on the team
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah, the Blob is chock-full of humility! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:29 pm Yeah, the Blob is chock-full of humility! :lol:
:sly: :mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: When will the Canucks make the playoffs

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:46 pm I believe that the Canucks will make the playoffs in the 2020/21 season.

This season there is the Sedin transition to occur, the team will need to find a new identity and new players will be expected to provide leadership. It takes time to develop that.

On the forward front, other than the additional of EP I do not see more goals coming from this team as compared to last year. Boeser will be starting his second year and that line will now be taking the others teams top defensive line. They will need to time to learn how to work through that. The team will also need to see how the others (Gaudette/Dahlen/Golby/etc) are slotted in and given time to develop, but the top 6 will be extremely young to expect a lot out of them for next season or 2. In the 2019/20 season these guys will continue to develop and play in different situations in a game, learn to play both ends of the ice.

On the back end, I do not see anyone new starting. I would love to see Hughes be on the starting day roster but I am worried about this occurring and to his long term development. I would prefer him to be in the minors and called up to do some games and then back down to work on the areas needed. Julio, the same thing, these 2 are currently the future of the backend. This would mean that in the 2019/20 season these 2 are full time on the team but still both rookies and I expect rookie mistakes etc.

In net, I am assuming Demko will be the goalie we hope him to be, and he gets 20ish games this year and then full back up (30 – 40 games) in the 2019/20 season.

Assumptions
1 – coaches make this all work
2 – no major trades or crazy breakout season by someone not mentioned
3 – players on the team, i.e. Virtanen/Gaudette etc. continue to progress into serviceable top 9 guys

Now in the 2020/21 season, the rookies we have now will all have 1 – 2 seasons under their belt. Being developed to play both ends of the ice and still be given the opportunity to develop their offensive style without sitting on the bench for mistakes.

In this year we can make the proper FA signings to fill in the gaps, we can sign the Tavares of that year as they will see the Canucks with all the pieces. I am not saying the Canucks will win the SC but I do see them making some noise and learning the playoff game which is different than regular season.

I see the 2021/22 season where they really start to make the final 4 teams a high probability.

Lastly – yes hell can freeze over so I am predicting a 10% chance of the Canucks making the playoffs in 2018/19 and 50% chance in 2019/20.
Then why didn’t you vote that way?

I see I’m the only one so far that has voted for 20/21
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: When will the Canucks make the playoffs

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:37 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm I see I’m the only one so far that has voted for 20/21
The question is... will you change it later like that last poll? :drink:

Just kidding brah, nice to see your faith in Jim Benning!
Hmmm
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:34 am Instead of a separate thread I’d be curious how many points some folks think the Canucks may get next season.

I’m guessing a slight improvement to 78-84 points next year. The following year I don’t see playoffs and maybe another small step forward unless Hughes and Petterson are both studs and Elmer signs a blue chip UFA on D in 2019.
Hmmmm
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 pm Over/under on 67 points this year?
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:24 pm If you think (Benning) can stumble his way to a 65 point season again and retain his job you are dreaming.
Hmmmm
____
Try to focus on someday.