What to do with Hughes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If you were calling the shots on where Hughes starts this season

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Make room for Hughes on the roster
72%
Let him start on the farm and bring him up after some seasoning
10%
Send him back for another year in college
17%

Total votes: 29

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: What to do with Hughes

Post by Cherry Picker »

Ummm... Hughes signing and and pushing the Canucks out of a good draft position is a bad thing?
This, I don’t understand.
After the last few lotteries, it’s amazing people still want to tank.
Why not hope they make the playoffs?
Even if they just miss, they could still win the lottery.
Even if they pick lower, they could still get an excellent prospect, see Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes for instance.
I think the fun of being a fan is to hope the prospects and team does well and beat expectations.
Cheering for failure is too negative for this fan.
So, I guess I’m saying, the Canucks should sign Hughes and suffer the consequences of a competitive season.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:16 am Ummm... Hughes signing and and pushing the Canucks out of a good draft position is a bad thing?
This, I don’t understand.
After the last few lotteries, it’s amazing people still want to tank.
Why not hope they make the playoffs?
Even if they just miss, they could still win the lottery.
Totally! Under the new draft lottery, each year at least one near-playoff team has won the lottery - Winnipeg with Laine, Dallas and Philly with Heiskanen and Patrick, and Carolina with Svechnikov.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hughes decision likely, at least, another two weeks away. He is going to wait until after the upcoming juniors mini tournament.

Word is he wants to sign and turn pro. His family wants him to return to college one more year and sign as soon as his season ends. Benning has left the decision to him saying if he still wants to sign after the tournament the Canucks will be happy to do so but can’t guarantee he will be on the Canucks. They believe one more year of physical development would benefit him and the best place for that is college. I’m told that Benning believes he could play in the NHL/AHL but the concern is his physical statue.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:16 pm Hughes decision likely, at least, another two weeks away. He is going to wait until after the upcoming juniors mini tournament.

Word is he wants to sign and turn pro. His family wants him to return to college one more year and sign as soon as his season ends. Benning has left the decision to him saying if he still wants to sign after the tournament the Canucks will be happy to do so but can’t guarantee he will be on the Canucks. They believe one more year of physical development would benefit him and the best place for that is college. I’m told that Benning believes he could play in the NHL/AHL but the concern is his physical statue.
C'mon, Mom & Dad! It's Canada and the legal age is 19. I want to be a super-star. Right Now!!!
Kicks a rock. :evil:
"evolution"
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I think with his natural abilities, both mentally and physical skills, he’d have no problem playing this year. Pretty hard to hit what you can’t catch. He’s an upper echelon elite skater, and his hands and brain can work as fast as his feet.

Having said that, barring a career threatening injury, I see no harm in him going back for one more year of school and WJC.

I want him to sign because I believe this team is already on an upward trajectory, and his presence will only help
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BladesofSteel wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:31 pm I think with his natural abilities, both mentally and physical skills, he’d have no problem playing this year. Pretty hard to hit what you can’t catch. He’s an upper echelon elite skater, and his hands and brain can work as fast as his feet.

Having said that, barring a career threatening injury, I see no harm in him going back for one more year of school and WJC.

I want him to sign because I believe this team is already on an upward trajectory, and his presence will only help

I want him to sign because I want to see him play. I want to be excited every time he touches the puck. But I’m also ok delaying until his NCAA season ends. We’ll hopefully get to see him for a handful of games before the end of the year and he still burns a year off his ELC.

If he doesn’t sign right away the Canucks to take their time trimming the D and moving players out. That’s not a bad thing. Overall, ya I hope he signs.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:13 pm But I’m also ok delaying until his NCAA season ends. We’ll hopefully get to see him for a handful of games...
... and the playoffs. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am ok with him going back to college for a year, then coming in and have a crushing rookie season...

Boeser = Calder finalist 2018
Peterson = Calder candidate 2019
Hughes = Calder 2020

That's some damn good youth right there!! When was the last time a team ever had 3 kids in a row have a run at the Calder? Has that ever happened??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:39 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:13 pm But I’m also ok delaying until his NCAA season ends. We’ll hopefully get to see him for a handful of games...
He won’t be eligible for the playoffs if he signs after the TDD no?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:25 pm
He would be eligible to play in the playoffs.

Boston did it with Donato this year and McAvoy the year before...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Ok. I thought only players under contract at the end of TDD were eligible.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Ok. I thought only players under contract at the end of TDD were eligible.
I believe you just need to own the player's rights by TDD.
____
Try to focus on someday.
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Go Back to College...no point to play this year. Win the Hobey. Get stronger, dominate WJT in Van, Jacks studies are being accelerated so he can join you at Michigan, how good would that be playing with your Bro. Let us keep some of these D and trade one for picks at deadline.

We need another top 10 pick...

2019 is the year - EP will have a year under his belt and hopefully OJ, Dahlin, Gaudette and Demko get serious good looks in 2018. We add Hughes next year and we start the young guns ride. Just enjoy EP this year, don’t burn Hughes ELC this year.

***side note, due to lack of depth|competition guys Lim JV rushes into team and guys like Hutton taking it easy...Ben-Linden are turning up the heat this year, if you are a 50/50 prospect your in the AHL. Can you hear me HUTTON, take your soft body and lack of work ethic back right out of a NHL job.

Playoffs are a distant glimpse on the horizon but we are about to see who really is competitive this Summer come training camp...easy street is over for prospects no lack of options for Green
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

DHA wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:29 pm Go Back to College...no point to play this year. Win the Hobey. Get stronger, dominate WJT in Van, Jacks studies are being accelerated so he can join you at Michigan, how good would that be playing with your Bro. Let us keep some of these D and trade one for picks at deadline.

We need another top 10 pick...

2019 is the year - EP will have a year under his belt and hopefully OJ, Dahlin, Gaudette and Demko get serious good looks in 2018. We add Hughes next year and we start the young guns ride. Just enjoy EP this year, don’t burn Hughes ELC this year.

***side note, due to lack of depth|competition guys Lim JV rushes into team and guys like Hutton taking it easy...Ben-Linden are turning up the heat this year, if you are a 50/50 prospect your in the AHL. Can you hear me HUTTON, take your soft body and lack of work ethic back right out of a NHL job.

Playoffs are a distant glimpse on the horizon but we are about to see who really is competitive this Summer come training camp...easy street is over for prospects no lack of options for Green

You want Quinn Hughes in the WJC in Vancouver? My gawd fans here will become fully schizophrenic when Canada plays USA. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kidding aside it is a good plan but I would see about him signing as soon as his season ends. Screw his ELC. Getting him into the NHL for 10 or so games would be good for him, and good for the rebuild optics.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:40 pm Kidding aside it is a good plan but I would see about him signing as soon as his season ends. Screw his ELC. Getting him into the NHL for 10 or so games would be good for him, and good for the rebuild optics.
Yeah the ELC isn't as big of a deal as the countdown to unrestricted free agency. IIRC, that happens at the 40 game mark.