What to do with Hughes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If you were calling the shots on where Hughes starts this season

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Make room for Hughes on the roster
72%
Let him start on the farm and bring him up after some seasoning
10%
Send him back for another year in college
17%

Total votes: 29

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: What to do with Hughes

Post by Mickey107 »

That is a perfect description of the situation, Wids.
If I recall, Guds does have speed. But that's when he's healthy and we really haven't got to see much of that yet.
I can see Boeser feeding on those outlet passes from Hughes.
We will see.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The way the media is going on about it, Gudbranson would be the worse thing ever for Hughes development... just like how Hutton was destroyed by the Guds pairing.

Truth was that Smiley was awful while Gudbranson was hurt and was awful paired with everyone else.

I'd take the opinion of someone like Campbell who played 1,000 games and had similar skills. I think the Guds/Hughes experiment would be worth a try.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Everything seems to point to him being ready for the pro game, so I don't see what he will learn in college. In the NCAA he would have another year to get stronger, but that's about it.

Sign him - don't guarantee a spot, but there's a great chance he'll earn his spot. If he's not quite ready, I'm going to guess 20 games in the A would get him ready for the NHL.

Like Rats, I want to see the kid play - but the experts running this team and drafted him should know if he's ready for the AHL / NHL or needs another year to develop in college. My guess is they feel he's ready, but don't want to guarantee a spot (nor should they). He should also understand it's a big jump from NCAA to the NHL, and a few like Boeser make the jump without a blip, while others like Gaudette may need more time.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

I am on the fence on this one. I have no problem with Hughes making rookie mistakes. My only concern with him playing at the NHL level is whether he has fully grown yet and whether his body has matured enough and can take the punishment. I recall Nugent-Hopkins being rushed and getting lots of early injuries (think he broke his collar bone among other things). I want our Bobby Orr to have a long career and Canucks are not going to be competitive for awhile so need to rush him. If he does play, I like the idea of him playing with Gudbranson who might be able to protect him a bit.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Probably shouldn't even say this but the way the hype is in high gear, not just here but around the entire NHL world about a small speedy defense man playing right away in the big show might just keep the officials watching and create a scenario where the potential cheap shot artists think twice.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'm not so worried about injuries as it doesn't matter what age or size you are in the NHL as everyone is susceptible to injury, it's part of the game, even Rod 'the bod' Brind'Amour got injured!

To me it's about intelligence and awareness to avoid dangerous situations to not get hurt, just like the Sedins, they were smaller and slower but they played the game knowing when a player was about to try to hit em and they knew how to angle their skates and have good solid lower core body positioning so they wouldn't get hammered along the boards, and they knew how to fall as funny as that sounds, but they fell to the ice in a way like a quarterback in the NFL as less painful as possible.

In any case, if Hughes has the skills, skating and on ice awareness/360 degree vision with the coach using him more just for scoring situations, he should have a good rookie year as a 18/19 year old.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

This article mostly re-hashes what's been said before, but a good summary:

https://www.nhl.com/news/quintin-hughes ... =277729154
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

"He changes the course of a game because he's got an elite, elite level of skating,"

Holy fuck can you hear that? Waaaaay off but getting closer....the sound of screaming at the tv

Getting stoked as fuck to see this kid skate. Man whens september
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 pm Getting stoked as fuck to see this kid skate. Man, when's September
Almost makes you need to change your ginch, eh? :D
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Leaning towards sign him and give him protected minutes on the 3rd pairing. Make room by moving out the scrubs for mid round picks.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

theman wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 am Leaning towards sign him and give him protected minutes on the 3rd pairing. Make room by moving out the scrubs for mid round picks.
Our scrubs are not worth mid round picks.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:39 am
theman wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 am Leaning towards sign him and give him protected minutes on the 3rd pairing. Make room by moving out the scrubs for mid round picks.
mid to late round picks. Happy now?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

theman wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:41 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:39 am
mid to late round picks. Happy now?
I am always happy!!

Just striving for accuracy!! :lol:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 pm Getting stoked as fuck to see this kid skate. Man, when's September
Almost makes you need to change your ginch, eh? :D
I find that when pants be shat... going commando is a comfortable back up plan
If you need air...call it in
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 pm The talk they have may be about Utica should he sign and they feel he needs to play there for a spell. Is he comfortable with that? Does he think it will help or hurt vs returning to the NCAA. It’s exactly because Benning can’t and won’t guarantee an NHL spot that we are in a holding pattern.
I suspect these conversations weren't unlike those between Benning and the EP camp, and the Boeser camp prior to his signing. EP returned to Sweden, Boeser returned for a second year in college after an impressive freshman season.
Different timing sure, but establishing transparency early on is a good foundation for a long and lucrative relationship.
We're talking about high end talent here, and with the proper development, potential franchise fixtures.
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 pm The quote from Campbell was interesting. I had been thinking that Gudbranson may make a good D partner for Hughes. Gudbranson played his best hockey when paired with Campbell and someone like Hughes may help Gudbranson find his game again. He’d also be there to protect the kid.
I think perhaps it's less about "finding his game" and more refining his role. I have little doubt Guds had visions of being a top pairing d-man when dealt here. I see a young guy who between putting heaps of responsibility on himself, battled with untimely injuries and extensive rehab.
Gudbranson has shown to be an intelligent player who can keep up with the play.
Fact is Hughes would be a really easy guy to pair with, and Guds has all the tools to compliment/support him.