What to do with Hughes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If you were calling the shots on where Hughes starts this season

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Make room for Hughes on the roster
72%
Let him start on the farm and bring him up after some seasoning
10%
Send him back for another year in college
17%

Total votes: 29

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: What to do with Hughes

Post by Cherry Picker »

None of the right-sided D, and everyone of the left-sided D have contracts that end after this coming season (Edler, Hutton, Del Zotto, Pouliot). With all of the better D prospects (Juolevi, Hughes, Sautner, and Tryamkin) left-handed, the left side could be completely turned over in the next 12 months.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:58 pm None of the right-sided D, and everyone of the left-sided D have contracts that end after this coming season (Edler, Hutton, Del Zotto, Pouliot). With all of the better D prospects (Juolevi, Hughes, Sautner, and Tryamkin) left-handed, the left side could be completely turned over in the next 12 months.
For the left side mafia - My hope is Hutton and MDZ have a productive 2018/19 season, good enough that we can keep one or trade em for something meaningful, my guess is MDZ walks July 1st 2019, in any case if Ben Hutton scores 20+ points his value goes way up.

Edler if he re-signs to a cheaper $4M per x 2 type extension I'd prefer that, as he's the only player with some backbone and skill to play big minutes on the left, he's the type you need to win in the NHL playoffs.

Hughes will take MDZ's spot in 2019/20 and Juolevi will take Hutton's spot.

Left side
Edler
Hughes
Juolevi
?

Looks good to me.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Question....Hughes decision to go back to school means he isnt going to attend training camp doesnt it?

See title of link. There isnt anything in there mentioning this...i just cant recall whether or not this is accurate.
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... -overtures
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:25 am Question....Hughes decision to go back to school means he isnt going to attend training camp doesnt it?

See title of link. There isnt anything in there mentioning this...i just cant recall whether or not this is accurate.
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... -overtures
I would love proof of paragraph "8", very much. If it's true, impeachment was in order. :evil:

No camp, Dan.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Botch sure likes to put a negative spin on everything he writes....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:53 am Botch sure likes to put a negative spin on everything he writes....
Botch is the new Tony Gallagher and Jeff Patterson is his Al Strachan wingman, with Halford and Brough as their koolaid drinkers
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Many moons ago, he traveled wid da team.
That is until he pissed off Bieksa one too many times. "Insert smiley for petrified reporter".
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:35 am Many moons ago, he traveled wid da team.
That is until he pissed off Bieksa one too many times. Image
Refresh my memory... wrote an article, something about Hamhuis constantly having to cover Bieksa's butt after ill-timed pinches?
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:10 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:53 am Botch sure likes to put a negative spin on everything he writes....
Botch is the new Tony Gallagher and Jeff Patterson is his Al Strachan wingman, with Halford and Brough as their koolaid drinkers
Yeah the young Vancouver writers like to use their pops Tony as a mentor, as drama sells "papers" now website clicks which increases ad revenue.

You have to have an elite hockey knowledge and experience with supreme hockey connections to just provide general hockey knowledge and be able to of value to a corporation just like Bob McKenzie and dare I say the new local Rick Dhaliwal who is just a workhorse and goes after everyone to provide the latest news before anyone else, but I guess he's not so much a writer just a reporter.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Dhaliwal has been in the market for 20 years. He isn’t a new local workhorse
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

put in his dues in the small crappy world and got promoted to the big leagues finally.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:46 pm put in his dues in the small crappy world and got promoted to the big leagues finally.
He has been mainly a sports director or manager over the past 20 years at CKNW, the TEAM, CKWX and 650 SNET. He paid his dues in the 1990s
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:44 pm Dhaliwal has been in the market for 20 years. He isn’t a new local workhorse
To the most tortured, 20 years is new. He’s a friggin’ pup.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I think it's the right call by the Hughes family. There's no need to rush him, not like this year really matter anyways. Let him take his time to get stronger, work on his game and we'll see him in the WJC here anyways. We also have too many bodies on D. This will give us some more time to figure out who should go and who should stay (ie: Del Zotto, Hutty, Poosalot, etc). Maybe one of those guys will do something to improve their trade value.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Just watching USA vs Sweden on TSN.
Those Hughes boys do play well together.
Quinn to Jack--in the net
They are small though.
"evolution"