What to do with Hughes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If you were calling the shots on where Hughes starts this season

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Make room for Hughes on the roster
72%
Let him start on the farm and bring him up after some seasoning
10%
Send him back for another year in college
17%

Total votes: 29

nuckster
MVP
MVP

What to do with Hughes

Post by nuckster »

What's your reasoning?
cc oldtimer
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: What to do with Hughes

Post by rats19 »

Cuz I want to see him
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Reasoning:

Might be our best defenseman already.
Also, new and shiny blinds me from anything negative.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

He’s already better than everybody on the left side not named edler.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Because...
  • PP with Hughes on the point, Brock in his office and EP on the other point/Sedin halfboard. No explanation needed.
  • Possibly already the 2nd best left-side defenceman on this team. Might also be 2nd best right-side defenceman.
  • Can't be any worse a defender than anyone not named Edler or Tanev.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:16 pm He’s already better than everybody on the left side not named edler.
I got a kick out of hearing Botchford in a podcast losing his shit cause he didn't see any room for Hughes given all the defencemen that are signed already. He made a good point though ( as others have) that he's already the best puck-moving defenceman we have, so what would the point be in sending him down??
cc oldtimer
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Go with the damn kids when they have talent like that. We have a couple assholes now that can keep others somewhat honest.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I’m for giving him a spot, if earned, or back to NCAA. Problem is he has to commit before camp, I think even before prospects camp, so the Canucks really don’t have a chance to evaluate him before they decide. He does have team USA mini tournament coming up so they can look at him there I guess.

It will be hard to say he’s earned it without camp and if he’s at camped it means he’s signed so then we just play it out, see where he fits.

I want to see this shiny new toy in action.

He could go back to NCAA but leave before the trade deadline, burn a year, be available for playoffs. This could help buy time to accommodate trades. Didn’t Toews do this?
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I’m for making room for him on the big league roster. My concern with sending him back to NCAA is that he may plateau in his development. It would be good for him to spend the extra time in the gym, but I’m sure Boeser and Gaudette would agree that it’s a significant leap in caliber of play going to the NHL.

It’s clear he has less appetite for the minors, and I get it. I don’t know what the training facilities and such are in Utica, but I can imagine that it doesn’t stack up against University of Michigan ‘s setup. More games means less time just training and letting your body grow when you’re that age.

I’d say he should be given every opportunity to make his case to stay in Vancouver, keep him up and if it becomes clear that he isn’t keeping his head above water, then send him down to Utica. At that point, even Hughes would have to admit that Utica would be a better place for him than Vancouver. Carry 7 defenders and if they move a defender to make room for him, call up someone from Utica as the 7th man. It’s not like they’re at a point where they are realistically contending for the playoffs so what does it matter?

Let’s see how he does at the WJ showcase and the young stars event, and they can have a discussion then.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

He should play pro, whether that’s here or Utica, doesn’t really bother me, I’d prefer in Vancouver to be able to watch him, but Utica is gonna be a stacked team this year and he’ll do well there. I don’t think he has a problem playing in Utica, he’s been quoted saying he doesn’t mind that guys like Keith, and Karlsson played there.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It's long. So is the ad. Very telling. Read between the lines.
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... act-future

"Some" may want to go to roughly the 5:50 minute mark. (Insert upward arrow smiley).
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I'm in favour of college, I think the Canucks are at a point that they need to start spacing out their ELCs, and *if* there is a benefit to him spending a year in college getting physically more prepared for the NHL, then I say go for it.

The Hughes are somewhat forcing Benning's hand by essentially refusing to go to the farm. In that case, I would prefer the Canucks don't burn a year of his ELC and sign him at the end of the NCAA season. I believe under the CBA, because he's not a CHL player he's not eligible for that 9-game peak that doesn't burn a year of ELC.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Trade fellow left-siders Hutton and MDZ, have Hughes swap in and out with Pouliot.

Don't forget about Juolevi...

Edler - Stecher
Juolevi - Tanev
Hughes - Gudbranson
Pouliot - Biega

Give Hughes lots of time on the number one power play.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

micky107 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:36 am It's long. So is the ad. Very telling. Read between the lines.
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... act-future

"Some" may want to go to roughly the 5:50 minute mark. (Insert upward arrow smiley).
He sounds ready to go pro if you ask me, willing to trust management. The only reason I see him going to utica is if management is trying unload guys and aren’t successful, but I’d rather they just waive Hutton and Pouliot to be honest. Or have somebody “get injured” in training camp. Also you can just say my name Micky, I have no issue debating with you, you are a good poster but I do want to know about your insider info even just a pm.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

OK
"evolution"