Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:12 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:35 am It’s pretty clear you don’t or haven’t watched the player much or at all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, that is a hilarious statement coming from Blob "I Don't Watch The Games" Mckenzie.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:42 pm
Topper wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:12 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:35 am It’s pretty clear you don’t or haven’t watched the player much or at all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, that is a hilarious statement coming from Blob "I Don't Watch The Games" Mckenzie.
Lol you mean the same Blob that tunes out the local team after game 50 because they are twenty points out and refuse to play kids. So this Blob guy who actually watches 50 odd Canucks games but then says fuck it and decides to watch more league wide games because the product is crap and he doesn’t want to watch Dowd, Jokinnen etc. This is the Blob you are talking about? So you pinheads watch 82 a year? Doubt it... you’ve been wrecked again.......

You klowns have been klobbered once again. Excuse me while I yank my Johnson out of a few yaps
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:39 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:33 am Benning’s pissed draft picks away on Vey’s and Sutter’s.....a big difference between 3rd/4th line guys and O’Reilly.
Canucks did not lose a draft pick in the Sutter trade.

(it was 9 spot pick upgrade, Nucks still got their targeted player: Lockwood)

One-billion-and-three times.

Re: "3rd/4th line guy" - Sutter has averaged over 17 minutes per game over his 10-year career minus his rookie season.
One billion and 4 times. A good GM would have snagged a pick for taking an equal but more expensive player off of Pittsburgh’s hands.

Wake up Dumb Dumb
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:52 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:33 am Benning’s pissed draft picks away on Vey’s and Sutter’s.....a big difference between 3rd/4th line guys and O’Reilly.

Re: "3rd/4th line guy" - Sutter has averaged over 17 minutes per game over his 10-year career minus his rookie season.
One billion and 4 times. A good GM would have snagged a pick for taking an equal but more expensive player off of Pittsburgh’s hands.

Wake up Dumb Dumb
Oh thank you so much for trying to mediate between Mr Mëds and yours truly!!

If only you could follow a discussion! :lol:

Speaking of discussions you sure do post a lot on a fucking Canucks messageboard for a guy who only watches half the games...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

50 /82 is 61% Einstein

You are not very good at math are you?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:05 pm 50 /82 is 61% Einstein

Oh sorry.

You sure do post a lot on a fucking Canucks messageboard for a guy who only watches 61% of the games...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Real Tim McCracken
AHL Prospect

Post by Real Tim McCracken »

So back to the UFA signings, lots of people slamming the Canucks as losers on the day signing guys that will block the youth from coming in. Sure, like the Canucks want Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, and Boeser starting shifts in the D-zone, blocking shots, and killing penalties while playing a heavier game that was so sorely lacking the past few years. Yeah, that makes a ton sense. And this is even after Benning did the absolute right thing messaging that they wanted to put the kids in the position to contribute offensively just like they were drafted for and take as much of the other BS off them. $ and years are a little much but it won't hurt them cap wise and, again, these aren't roles the kids would be playing anyway.

It's really Gagner, Leipsic, Motte, Gaunce, Granlund, Archibald, and Goldobin blocking the young guys or are at risk with some of these moves and who cares if they're displaced? I'm still not convinced Baertschi wil start the year here even with the new contract. The Gagner signing last year sure looks like shit even more-so now.

I can see Sutter centering the Swedish kids, not ideal but he can win the draw and keep possession in the O-zone and skate well enough to be first forward back, and slotting down to the 3rd line to take D-zone starts that Beagle doesn't. Something like this I can get behind:

Baertschi/Erickson - Horvat - Boeser
Dahlen - Sutter - Pettersson
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen
Schaller - Beagle - Erickson/Gagner/Granlund

They're stuck with Erickson and Gagner so flip the others including Baertschi for whatever you can. Would rather lose with this lineup or something similar and potentially surprise a bit with some luck health wise. Next up a crasher on D?
Good loser = LOSER!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Real Tim McCracken wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:35 pm ....these aren't roles the kids would be playing anyway.
This is what I'm hoping for, and I would assume the team needs this approach to sell tickets. If the kids aren't playing the roles they're expected to fill, then this team gets really boring, really fast.

Pettersson might be young and slight - but if he's not playing top 6, there no reason to have him here. Pretty much the same for Dahlen.
First line is set (assuming Bearcheese come ready to earn to spot), the 2nd line you have with Sutter and the Swedes sounds about right.

Virtanen might work his way up the lineup as he showed some more potential towards the end of last season (Blobby might have missed that part ;) ) and who knows where Gaudette is going to end up.

So, we're left with what could be a decent top six that will be making some mistakes and a bottom six that should make the other teams work a little harder.

As for the D.... and the goalies? That's a crapshoot back there.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The only ones playing those roles would be Jake and possibly Bo. Jake will get a huge shot in the arm from the UFA signings, or a kick in the ass, The choice is his.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:08 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:05 pm 50 /82 is 61% Einstein

Oh sorry.

You sure do post a lot on a fucking Canucks messageboard for a guy who only watches 61% of the games...
When the team is entertaining it’s more like 80-90 % of the games
I can pretty much guarantee there are a lot of folks who watch only 60-70% of the games. Nobody is that much of a fan of the team that they watch 100% of the crapthey’ve been serving up
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Yah!
Nobody would watch that.
Not me.That’s for sure.
No way!
Really. I wouldn’t lie about this.
What do you think I am.
Really. Couldn’t stand that.
:oops:
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Real Tim McCracken
AHL Prospect

Post by Real Tim McCracken »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:52 pm
Real Tim McCracken wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:35 pm ....these aren't roles the kids would be playing anyway.
This is what I'm hoping for, and I would assume the team needs this approach to sell tickets. If the kids aren't playing the roles they're expected to fill, then this team gets really boring, really fast.

Pettersson might be young and slight - but if he's not playing top 6, there no reason to have him here. Pretty much the same for Dahlen.
First line is set (assuming Bearcheese come ready to earn to spot), the 2nd line you have with Sutter and the Swedes sounds about right.

Virtanen might work his way up the lineup as he showed some more potential towards the end of last season (Blobby might have missed that part ;) ) and who knows where Gaudette is going to end up.

So, we're left with what could be a decent top six that will be making some mistakes and a bottom six that should make the other teams work a little harder.

As for the D.... and the goalies? That's a crapshoot back there.
Way better to have Pettersson and Dahlen here playing sheltered in the top 6 with ample PP time than on a 4th line with Brendan f'ing Gaunce or worse yet, in the AHL where they may be more vulnerable to cheap runs by some guy trying to make his name. These two are elite talents, they work extremely hard and seem to be extremely competitive, so let them do their thing right out of the gate.

I agree on Virtanen completely and if Pettersson could ultimately transition to the middle, moving a more polished Virtanen on Pettersson and Dahlen's line could really wreak havoc out there.

The goalies are easy. Markstom - Demko and don't be surprised if by the last third to quarter of the year, Demko takes over the starter role.

On D, there's no way they can trade Tanev. They're not going to get what he's really worth and they have two blue chip LHD coming up right away, and besides, wouldn't that be a real kick in the nads if trading Tanev to, say, the leaves put them over the top and they won the Stanley Cup? Sorry, I couldn't live with that.

Anyway, I'd roll with:
Edler - Stecher
Hughes/Juolevi - Tanev
Joulevi/Hughes - Gudbranson

Try to find a home for MDZ and Hutton. Keep Pouliot, I like him and still think he has a lot more to offer, plus he can play both sides in a pinch. I'd have a second guy around for the right side, preferably a physical type who doesn't expect to play a ton. I'm tired of seeing Biega over matched, he's a great story and great teammate but not a fit anymore. Take a look at Dalton Prout. Shitty player but what do you expect for a #8 guy? But he's a RHD that can hit guys and drop the gloves when necessary and that would balance Pouliot who's role is talent dependent.

I realize hardly any of this is likely to happen but that's what I'd do.
Good loser = LOSER!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Yeah Doc, I don't care what you say about his minutes. You haven't been "moving the goalposts" on this, but you've cemented them in the bleachers from day one with your bullshit about minutes played.

His production and skill set are 3rd/4th line. Nobody in their right mind signs Brandon Sutter to be their 2nd line center. He gets his minutes because he kills penalties and gets many defensive zone starts.

If Brandon Sutter is the second best center on your depth chart your team is guaranteed a lottery pick.

Doc, TOI aside, do you really think that Brandon Sutter is a top-6 forward? A 2nd line center?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:44 pm

Yeah Doc, I don't care what you say about his minutes. You haven't been "moving the goalposts" on this, but you've cemented them in the bleachers from day one with your bullshit about minutes played.

His production and skill set are 3rd/4th line. Nobody in their right mind signs Brandon Sutter to be their 2nd line center. He gets his minutes because he kills penalties and gets many defensive zone starts.

If Brandon Sutter is the second best center on your depth chart your team is guaranteed a lottery pick.

Doc, TOI aside, do you really think that Brandon Sutter is a top-6 forward? A 2nd line center?
Of course he's not a 2nd line centre!

I've never said that...

But you said he's "a 3rd/4th line guy"... which called for a reality check.

Fact is, Brandon Sutter is an elite 3rd line centre.

BTW I forgive you for repeating the myth that Canucks "pissed away" a pick in the Sutter trade...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Again Doc. How many positions did they give up in that swap of picks?
The only HW the Canucks need