Canucks 2018 Draft Review

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canucks 2018 Draft Review

Post by Cornuck »

Most pundits seem to be giving the Canucks an "A" - but it all means nothing until the kids put on the orca and show us what they have.

1 (7) Quinn Hughes, D, Michigan

Height - 5'10" / 178 cm
Weight - 174 lbs / 79 kg
Shoots - L
An elite defensive talent that has mastered the elements of speed and decision-making. He is calculated in his handling of the puck and well-versed in his ability to limit time and space for the opposition without the puck. It's almost taken for granted, now, that he is a highly skilled offensive player, simply due to his individual ability to carry plays and outfox the opposition in their own end. His creativity and vision is what sets him apart from many other defenders, and he plays that exciting style of hockey that punishes opponents' mistakes with immediacy. It's his proactivity through the neutral zone, not just limiting the time and space for the opposition but limiting their options to move the puck up-ice every time he's on a shift, that makes him so potent. All-in-all, a complete defenceman that understands how to open up a game and take it over.

2 (37) Jett Woo, D, Moose Jaw (WHL)
Height - 6'0" / 182 cm
Weight - 201 lbs / 91 kg
Shoots - R
http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/05/06/ ... nhl-draft/

Cam Robinson - DobberProspects - April 26: "A buzz-saw of a player. Needs to add strength, but moves as quick with the puck as he does without. Had a strong year with Niagara. Likely better suited for the wing at the NHL level."

Peter Harling - DobberProspects - Mar. 3rd: "Woo can play an impactful physical game as he is a hard hitting defenseman at 6-0, 205 pounds and a right shot defenseman."

3 (68) Tyler Madden, C, Tri-City (USHL)
Height - 5'11" / 180 cm
Weight - 150 lbs / 68 kg
Shoots - R
The son of former NHLer John Madden, Tyler is an undersized centre who is committed to attend Northeastern University next season. He could certainly use a year or two in the NCAA with its less intense schedule and the opportunity to bulk up in the weight room. Madden plays the game a lot like his father. He is a very good skater who gets involved on the forecheck and on the backcheck. He plays a straightforward, north-south style of game. Madden is gritty and always around the puck. He gets under opponent’s skin with his tenacious play.

5 (130) Toni Utunen, D, Leki (Finland-2)
Height - 5'11" / 180 cm
Weight - 170 lbs / 77 kg
Shoots - L
He brings a sound defensive game to the table that mixes quick outlets, good gap control, and a nice stick. He doesn’t bring much offense to the table, partially due to his lack of top-end skating ability. He projects as a bottom-pairing player that can contribute on a penalty kill.

6 (186) Artyom Manukyan, RW, Omsk 2 (Russia-Jr.)
Height - 5'7" / 170 cm
Weight - 139 lbs / 63 kg
Shoots - R
Playing for Omskie Yastreby, Manukyan is the youngest player in the top five and leads the league in scoring by 12 points. He has 96 points, 36 of those goals with 60 assists, in only 52 games played. He will be 19 in June and could potentially be a top player for Russia in the upcoming World Junior Championship. Now you (the reader) may be wondering why you have not heard of Maukyan, at least I was, but then I read why. Manukyan is 5’7 and only 139 pounds, making him a very small player. Now he does have the skill, speed, IQ, and elusiveness that NHL teams covet, but he also has the size that many shy away from (and the birth country). If he were to gain some mass to his frame it would be wise of an NHL team to take a chance on this player late in the 2017 draft. He has set the record for point seasons in the MHL with 96, the previous being 94, so there is a ton of skill there. The points separating third place in scoring from 31st are 19 points, now the points separating Manukyan from third place is 37 TOTAL POINTS, if this kid could grow he could be very sought after asset.

7 (192) Matthew Thiessen, G, Steinbach (MJHL)
Height - 6'2" / 188 cm
Weight - 190 lbs / 86 kg
Catches - L
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=201400
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks 2018 Draft Review

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

That is a very physically small draft class. (Yes, Jett Woo is the size of an average NHL hockey player, but he's the "big" skater in this group.)

Now if the NHL really is changing the way RoyalDude thinks it is, great -- I'd rather watch hockey players skate and make plays than attempt to mangle each other -- but I have a feeling Mike Gillis was making the same projection back in '08.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jimbro Benning proves once again, that he is undeniably - A Genius

Nuff said

Keith/Seabrook say hello to my little friend - Hughes/Woo
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:42 am That is a very physically small draft class. (Yes, Jett Woo is the size of an average NHL hockey player, but he's the "big" skater in this group.)

Now if the NHL really is changing the way RoyalDude thinks it is, great -- I'd rather watch hockey players skate and make plays than attempt to mangle each other -- but I have a feeling Mike Gillis was making the same projection back in '08.
You know that Woo is one of the younger players drafted in this class? Could grow even more!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:52 am Jimbro Benning proves once again, that he is undeniably - A Genius

Nuff said

Keith/Seabrook say hello to my little friend - Hughes/Woo
He’s proved this already? How so?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Who took that barrett howdy kid? Phx? Imagine being a coyotes fan if both hughes and howdy develop into their draft day potential. One a franchise defenseman the other a 2nd pairing steady eddy.
If you need air...call it in
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:54 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:42 am That is a very physically small draft class. (Yes, Jett Woo is the size of an average NHL hockey player, but he's the "big" skater in this group.)

You know that Woo is one of the younger players drafted in this class? Could grow even more!
So could Hughes ! Or Boqvist !

For now, though, they're the size they are.

Perhaps the Canucks should invest in research that would enable them to accurately project the 22 year-old height and weight of the 17 and 18 year-olds they are drafting. Maybe they already have. Did any of the prospects mention being asked to leave a blood sample behind at the Canucks interview?

The fact that you mention growth potential (and seem to be hoping for it), though, makes it sound like you're not really over "size" as an asset for a professional hockey player. Are you trying to convince me, or yourself?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:46 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:54 am

So could Hughes ! Or Boqvist !

For now, though, they're the size they are.

Perhaps the Canucks should invest in research that would enable them to accurately project the 22 year-old height and weight of the 17 and 18 year-olds they are drafting. Maybe they already have. Did any of the prospects mention being asked to leave a blood sample behind at the Canucks interview?

The fact that you mention growth potential (and seem to be hoping for it), though, makes it sound like you're not really over "size" as an asset for a professional hockey player. Are you trying to convince me, or yourself?
Listen ChefBoiRG, if I lived my life like you, I wouldn't have enough muster to get out of bed every morning, To dark, to End of Times. I'm a super positive thinker. We are all Jim Benning
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

We are all armchair GMs
"evolution"
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:27 pm We are all armchair GMs sports commentators
Fixed
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

lostinarink wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:49 pm
micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:27 pm We are all armchair GMs sports commentators
Fixed
Actually - we are all Canuck fans still hurting from 2011.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:16 pm
Fixed
Actually - I'm a complete nincompoop Canuck fan still hurting from 2011.
Fixed
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:26 pm
Fixed
Actually - I'm a complete nincompoop Canuck fan still hurting from 1970.
Fixed
re-fixed
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

lostinarink wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:25 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:26 pm
Fixed
Actually - I'm a complete nincompoop Canuck fan still hurting from 1970.
Fixed
re-fixed
God, that just seriously dated me...…

And to think there was a time when I cheered on the Maples leaves (gasp) on the Saturday night, Hockey Night in Canada.
(no way I was cheering for an American team, let alone a FRENCH one) (note to self, remember your French Canadian ancestors date back to the 1640s)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah there are some serious old pricks on this here message board
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”