Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Richardstroker69 »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:30 am Wouldn’t be surprised seeing Sutter traded after July 1st before next season when his modified no trade kicks in. Gaudette should be able to handle 3C duty next season

Gudbranson. We may be stuck with him

Eriksson no harm no foul if he’s still around
Guddy is fine even if we are, him and Hughes will be a good fit. And Tanev can usher in joulevi. However, I’m positive guddy still has positive value league wide. There’s maybe 3 guys in the league that can hang with him in a fight.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sutter and Beagle enable the Canucks to be ranked 6th best in the league on the penalty kill, it's basically two #1 PK units.

I don't think people recognize the nastiness other teams implemented on the Canucks every game before the arrival of Guds, Roussel.

One Gudbranson on D is enough to help the squad immensely in the tough game, you can surround him with a plethora of talent, Edler, Hughes, Tanev, Hutton, Stecher, Juolevi, Woo - 2019 draft, to make up for his not so good metrics.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 am Sutter and Beagle enable the Canucks to be ranked 6th best in the league on the penalty kill, it's basically two #1 PK units.

I don't think people recognize the nastiness other teams implemented on the Canucks every game before the arrival of Guds, Roussel.

One Gudbranson on D is enough to help the squad immensely in the tough game, you can surround him with a plethora of talent, Edler, Hughes, Tanev, Hutton, Stecher, Juolevi, Woo - 2019 draft, to make up for his not so good metrics.
Good post
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

SKYO wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 am Sutter and Beagle enable the Canucks to be ranked 6th best in the league on the penalty kill, it's basically two #1 PK units.

Nice one SKYO. I would add the value of Beagle too in that department. Not nasty per say but not afraid to get in your face.

Guds was good last game because of his willingness to hit hard and engage in front of the net before and after the whistle. Sadly, there's not enough of that with the rest of the D. That is why I'm so excited to see Woo excelling offensively to add to his already nasty defensive game.

The PK was losing us a lot of games earlier, but with Beags, Sutter, Motte, Loui and Marky all healthy, it's kept us in games.

Players look better on better teams. Go figure.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hank wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:29 am

Nice one SKYO. I would add the value of Beagle too in that department. Not nasty per say but not afraid to get in your face.

Guds was good last game because of his willingness to hit hard and engage in front of the net before and after the whistle. Sadly, there's not enough of that with the rest of the D. That is why I'm so excited to see Woo excelling offensively to add to his already nasty defensive game.

The PK was losing us a lot of games earlier, but with Beags, Sutter, Motte, Loui and Marky all healthy, it's kept us in games.

Players look better on better teams. Go figure.
The PK does look better. It also helps that Markstrom's reputation for being really good is growing. The opposition PPs feel they need more
complex plays to score/ that's a good thing/ easier to break up plays.
But Poulott is still bad. Vs the Avs he got stuck on the PK and I saw that guy floating up at the blueline waiting for a pass. WTF?
Indeed Mr Hughes and Mr Woo should put a stop to his antics permanently.
I try never to hate a player and like to give every chance but that guy just cannot clean up his habits from junior.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Are they 6th-best since Sutter returned? They're currently 17th on NHL.com.

But the Canucks are the most-penalized team in the league, so a guy like Sutter probably has more value here than elsewhere. He's second on the time in PK TOI/GP, only Tanev kills more penalties than Sutter.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Correct ESQ, since Sutter's return from injury, actually the Canucks are 3rd in the league in pk%
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 am Correct ESQ, since Sutter's return from injury, actually the Canucks are 3rd in the league in pk%
Right now the Canucks are tied for 17th in the league, where do you get the stats that the Canucks are 3rd since Sutters return?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Guddy and/or Pouliot are consistently the two worst players on the team, night in and night out. Guddy may be tough but he has zero head for the game, misses passes, gets beat one on one, on the ice for more goals against than anybody else on the team - he’s barely an NHL player. Biega is much better, would definitely prefer him on the third pairing. Pouliot is a better passer but he has one or two giveaways a game that would even make Jovanovski blush, and his offense doesn’t come close to making up for it.

It’s time to cut bait on one or both of them if you are offered anything if value at the deadline, especially with Hughes almost here. Pouliot is likely worth nothing but if Guddy still has some value let’s get rid of him, I’d prefer Luke Schenn (and I’m not a Schenn fan at all).
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:39 pm

Guddy and/or Pouliot are consistently the two worst players on the team, night in and night out. Guddy may be tough but he has zero head for the game, misses passes, gets beat one on one, on the ice for more goals against than anybody else on the team - he’s barely an NHL player. Biega is much better, would definitely prefer him on the third pairing.
Ya know two things I have see a TON less of this year? Our goalie getting steamrolled and our young talented players getting bullied.

You know what this coincides with? Gudbranson being healthy for the entire season for the first time since coming to Vancouver.

I don't think it's a coincidence.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Guddy and/or Pouliot are consistently the two worst players on the team, night in and night out. Guddy may be tough but he has zero head for the game, misses passes, gets beat one on one, on the ice for more goals against than anybody else on the team - he’s barely an NHL player. Biega is much better, would definitely prefer him on the third pairing. Pouliot is a better passer but he has one or two giveaways a game that would even make Jovanovski blush, and his offense doesn’t come close to making up for it.

It’s time to cut bait on one or both of them if you are offered anything if value at the deadline, especially with Hughes almost here. Pouliot is likely worth nothing but if Guddy still has some value let’s get rid of him, I’d prefer Luke Schenn (and I’m not a Schenn fan at all).
No.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:02 am

Guddy and/or Pouliot are consistently the two worst players on the team, night in and night out. Guddy may be tough but he has zero head for the game, misses passes, gets beat one on one, on the ice for more goals against than anybody else on the team - he’s barely an NHL player. Biega is much better, would definitely prefer him on the third pairing.
Ya know two things I have see a TON less of this year? Our goalie getting steamrolled and our young talented players getting bullied.

You know what this coincides with? Gudbranson being healthy for the entire season for the first time since coming to Vancouver.

Good observation. But, there is no fancy advanced stat like Corsi or Fenwick for standing up for your team, or being a deterrent.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:02 am

Fuck Mëds that a good one lol. I guess marchand speed bagged daniel because he was clairvoyant and knew 9 years later we would have a guy...
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Erik Gudbranson just needs a high IQ Brian Campbell type or a wily vet defensive dman like Willie Mitchell, not a horrendous Pouliot type, arguably the placeholder for Hughes. It's no wonder Guds has played his best when keeping it simple and playing with someone like Edler, as otherwise the team has two poor defensive types in Hutton(slightly improving) and Pouliot on LD.

Erik was influential in the Panthers’ incredible run in 2015-16, leading by example on the defensive end with an outstanding 150 hits and 73 blocked shots, in only 64 regular season games. His presence was largely felt on the ice, as he provided instant stability to the back end and contributed by dropping the gloves when necessary.

Guddy, as nicknamed by Cats’ fans, was a fan favorite due to his imposing style of play and his leadership on/off the ice.
Gudbranson is the type to be steady warrior as he ages, the type the Bruins or Kings would love on their 3rd pairing to win a Championship, heck any team going on a brutal 4 round Cup run would love a Guds on their squad, I think Botch and the analytic nerds always forget what the physical aspect of the playoffs, it gets so nasty ya need a fierce dman to handle the rugby style mashups in and around the net/boards.

Blossoming defenseman Erik Gudbranson certainly has had no shortage of blue-line mentors since being selected third by the Panthers in the 2010 draft.

From Bryan McCabe, Ed Jovanovksi, Brian Campbell, Denis Potvin to Willie Mitchell and even general manager Dale Tallon, who was a well-respected 10-year NHL defenseman, have all contributed to Gudbranson's maturation process.

But it was words of wisdom from former New Jersey Devils iconic defenseman Ken Daneyko turned broadcaster that really hit home and helped Gudbranson turn teenage potential into being arguably the Panthers' best stay-at-home, physical defenseman.

"It's been a process" said Gudbranson, who at 23 is in his fifth NHL season. "Before a game in New Jersey last year [Daneyko] told me young defenseman want everything so quickly and all at once, but for us it's different than forwards.

"It comes in increments and it's about appreciating those increments, feeling good about your game, trying to create a little bit of momentum for yourself going forward. I've been given an identity this year and that's really helped, knowing exactly what my role is and what to do and being able to focus on that. Willie has helped me out a ton, showing me position-wise what to do and where to be."

Gudbranson and Mitchell are the Panthers top-two defensive tandem and are usually checking the opposition's top line, as well as anchoring the penalty kill. Gudbranson leads the team with 59 hits (seventh in NHL), 32 blocks and 493 shifts while averaging a career-high 19:44 time on ice, second to Campbell, the perennial team workhorse.

"He came into the league young and there's a learning curve, even for myself after three years of college," Bjugstad said.
"He came right in and played with the big boys. This year it's really showing how he's improving. He's a good stay-at-home defenseman and is there when you need him."

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/flo ... story.html

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:13 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 am Correct ESQ, since Sutter's return from injury, actually the Canucks are 3rd in the league in pk%
Right now the Canucks are tied for 17th in the league, where do you get the stats that the Canucks are 3rd since Sutters return?
NHL stats you can change the dates from & to - PK% - sum results, Sutter came back Jan. 3rd.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:39 pm Biega is much better
Gold Jerry, GOLD! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.