Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Chef Boi RD »

We Canuck fans overrate the returns we’d realistically get for Tanev and Edler on the trade market, due to the two of them constantly getting injured. Durability means a lot when it comes to trading for a player, especially when he is being sought after for the post season

At best you’d get a 2nd round pick for either player
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

IF a 2nd rounder is all it would take to trade for Edler or Tanev that would have been done easily by any team with cap space, there would a GM lineup longer than the Down Low Chicken Shack in it's first month of operation to pay that craigslist cost.

But yeah no it's gonna take a decent offer to trade for those dmen, easily top 2 or at bare minimum top 4 dmen in the league, and a contender would only want them for the playoffs mostly, plus on a deeper stronger team they wouldn't be OVERWORKED like they are here on a weaker overall defense.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:59 pm IF a 2nd rounder is all it would take to trade for Edler or Tanev that would have been done easily by any team with cap space, there would a GM lineup longer than the Down Low Chicken Shack in it's first month of operation to pay that craigslist cost.

But yeah no it's gonna take a decent offer to trade for those dmen, easily top 2 or at bare minimum top 4 dmen in the league, and a contender would only want them for the playoffs mostly, plus on a deeper stronger team they wouldn't be OVERWORKED like they are here on a weaker overall defense.
Huh?

Wtf did I just read?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:24 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:59 pm IF a 2nd rounder is all it would take to trade for Edler or Tanev that would have been done easily by any team with cap space, there would a GM lineup longer than the Down Low Chicken Shack in it's first month of operation to pay that craigslist cost.

Huh?

Wtf did I just read?
The Dude probably ain't far off. Maybe a 2nd and a mediocre prospect for Edler. Tanev gets you a higher prospect, maybe the second becomes a late 1st due to the extra year on his deal.

Teams aren't trading 1st rounders for rentals anymore, and both these guys have well-earned reputations as band-aids.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:16 am Teams aren't trading 1st rounders for rentals anymore, and both these guys have well-earned reputations as band-aids.
Where are you getting this from?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

"rentals"
2018 Kane - sharks paid 1st, 4th
2017 Shattenkirk - caps paid 1st, 2nd
2017 Hanzal - wild paid a 1st, 2nd
2016 Ladd - chicago paid a 1st + prospect

Key thing here is selling high, what I've been preaching for centuries on end especially for an expiring contract, unless AE re-signs for like $4M per, I'm moving him to a contender.

And remember Edler had a superb season last year, including a beastly showing in the World Championships.
canucksarmy:

Alex Edler is one of the best Canucks defencemen of all time, and he deserves praise for the season he had offensively; however, it’s clear at this stage that he would greatly benefit from reduced minutes, [Yes RD see 'overworked'] especially at five-on-five. The “second-pair defenceman on a good team” label has never been more true than it is right now.

Obvously, that’s never going to happen on the Canucks. But an Edler-type could put a contending team over the top. Coming off a 34-point season, his value right now is probably the highest it’s been in some time with just a year left on his deal. With the Sedins retiring, it would be the perfect time to move on.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

SKYO wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:16 am "rentals"
2018 Stastny - Jets paid a 1st, 4th and F
Even Rick Nash got a 1st last year

Speaking of Nash, Canucks should kick the tires - maybe a cheap one year deal to get him back in the NHL and then flip him at the deadline if he has a good year.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Facts,
Also I think injury concerns are a bit overblown, I mean Tyler Myers is well known to have a lot of injuries, but will that hamper his value? nope, and he'll get paid July 1st. Teams and GM's look at what the player can do when healthy and how that will help their team in the playoffs, I mean really all you want a vet dman for is to help win 16 games in the post season.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Rick Dhaliwal is saying Edler badly wants to stay and that Tanev is who the Canucks want to partner with Quinn Hughesnext season. If Edler refuses to waive, maybe let him walk and spend that money+ Del Zotto’s on a different d man. Maybe they can trade 44 while they are at it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

Edler and Tanev are not the problems on the Canucks defence. I would love to trade Edler (or Tanev) at the trade deadline for a premium; however, if that is not possible and Edler badly wants to stay then Plan B (in my mind) would be to sign him at a discount. Use Del Zottos money and whatever else you can package up to try to improve the depth at D.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:53 pm Rick Dhaliwal is saying Edler badly wants to stay and that Tanev is who the Canucks want to partner with Quinn Hughesnext season. If Edler refuses to waive, maybe let him walk and spend that money+ Del Zotto’s on a different d man. Maybe they can trade 44 while they are at it.
Edler wants to retire a Canuck and wants to live out the rest his life in Vancouver with his Vancouver raised wife, raising his kids in Vancouver. Trust me on this. His wife’s old man (a builder) built their home in Point Grey. His wife is good buds with Lindens wife. The dude won’t waive and wants to stay here. It’s time we all move on from Trading Edler. Tanev as well
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

vic wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:19 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:16 am "rentals"
2018 Stastny - Jets paid a 1st, 4th and F
Even Rick Nash got a 1st last year

Speaking of Nash, Canucks should kick the tires - maybe a cheap one year deal to get him back in the NHL and then flip him at the deadline if he has a good year.
So that's what, 1 D-man in the midst of a 50+ season? Yeah, I won't hold my breath for a 1st for Edler, who hasn't played a full 82 since 11-12. Tanev would be a better return, but again, guy has never played a full NHL season so his durability is certainly in question.

And Nash isn't sure he wants to play again. If he wants to come back, he'll have offers.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

If Hutton keeps up his play and can solidify himself as a number 4 guy or at least a reliable 5 that can carry a bottom pairing, he’ll have good trade value, but also a good option to re sign for cheap, I think edler could also be re signed for cheap. Pouloit I think is the odd man out and with Quinn and joulevi the left side might look pretty darn decent with Hughes, edler, joulevi/hutton. If edler and Hutton take cheap deals, and jettisoning pouloit and mdz, we should be able to bolster the right side. Tanev, Myers, guddy, Biega isn’t a half bad roster of dmen.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

How is Myers in our lineup? Or is that wishful thinking...

He'll be wanting yuuuuge bank. Is he worth 6+/yr?
If you need air...call it in
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:30 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:53 pm Rick Dhaliwal is saying Edler badly wants to stay and that Tanev is who the Canucks want to partner with Quinn Hughesnext season. If Edler refuses to waive, maybe let him walk and spend that money+ Del Zotto’s on a different d man. Maybe they can trade 44 while they are at it.
Edler wants to retire a Canuck and wants to live out the rest his life in Vancouver with his Vancouver raised wife, raising his kids in Vancouver. Trust me on this. His wife’s old man (a builder) built their home in Point Grey. His wife is good buds with Lindens wife. The dude won’t waive and wants to stay here. It’s time we all move on from Trading Edler. Tanev as well
I agree Dude, unlikely he waives by perhaps they can get him to go somewhere for a few months to try and win a cup, then re-sign him in the offseason. With Hutton filling his role at a cheaper cost and being much younger, Hughes and Juolevi on the way I don’t know where he’s going to play if he stays here. Who knows, he’s still a decent player but he’s getting long in the tooth. Hughes can play both sides so perhaps Edler can partner him instead of Tanev.

Now we just need to fix the right side of the D - not much there now or for the future. I’d trade Tanev for a decent return, he’s only got a year left on his deal so unlikely he’s here past next year anyway.