Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Cornuck »

I guess we'll kick this thread off with the schedule being announced.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... -299166112

Fast Facts:

Back-to-Backs: The Canucks have 11 back-to-back series this season.

All-Star and Bye Week Break: The Canucks final game before the All-Star break will be January 23rd versus Carolina and will then visit the Avalanche on Saturday, February 2nd to commence a four-game road trip. This season the Canucks All-Star break will coincide with the League's mandatory bye week for a total of nine days between games.

Home Cookin': Vancouver's longest home stand of the season will also be their final one of the season beginning Wednesday, March 20th and concluding in the regular season home finale on Tuesday, April 2nd for a total of seven games.

Road Trippin': The Canucks will embark on 12 road trips this season with six-games away from Rogers Arena being the longest and occurring on three separate occasions (Oct. 6-18, Nov. 6-15 and Dec. 27-Jan. 5).

Saturdaze: The Canucks busiest day of the regular season schedule is Saturday which consists of 20 games. The next busiest day is Thursday which consists of 19 games.

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning sucks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning is a genius.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Whew.

Had to get that out of the way.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:07 pm Benning sucks.
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 pm Benning is a genius.
As well as that summarizes the past few years on this board, I now think that -- except for a few extremist hold-outs -- opinions are beginning to converge.

Speaking as a Benning skeptic (closer to the "Benning Sucks" end of the spectrum), my principle objection had always been the "re-build on the fly" strategy (I think we can all now acknowledge that failed) and the asset-management philosophy that came with it (you may have heard a poster complain about not enough draft picks). I now recognize that this directive probably came from ownership, and -- while that's still a bad sign for the club -- it is not an indictment of of Benning's ability.

I don't want to put words in anybody's mouth, but I am sensing a shift in tone from some the Benning apologists that seems to accept that, however talented Benning might be, he started his tenure in Vancouver as a rookie GM, and rookies of all sorts make mistakes. Some franchise statistical lows over the past few seasons limit how loudly anyone can trumpet Benning's accomplishments so far while remaining connected to the results we can observe on the ice.

My own interpretation of what we have observed so far is that Benning is a solid hockey man (though no genius) who started in an unusually difficult position in terms of both available material and direction from ownership, and has grown in the position.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:00 pm Road Trippin': The Canucks will embark on 12 road trips this season with six-games away from Rogers Arena being the longest and occurring on three separate occasions (Oct. 6-18, Nov. 6-15 and Dec. 27-Jan. 5).
14 of the first 21 on the road. We'll know if the playoffs are a possibility by Remembrance Day.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:32 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:07 pm Benning sucks.
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 pm Benning is a genius.
As well as that summarizes the past few years on this board, I now think that -- except for a few extremist hold-outs -- opinions are beginning to converge.

Speaking as a Benning skeptic (closer to the "Benning Sucks" end of the spectrum), my principle objection had always been the "re-build on the fly" strategy (I think we can all now acknowledge that failed) and the asset-management philosophy that came with it (you may have heard a poster complain about not enough draft picks). I now recognize that this directive probably came from ownership, and -- while that's still a bad sign for the club -- it is not an indictment of of Benning's ability.

I don't want to put words in anybody's mouth, but I am sensing a shift in tone from some the Benning apologists that seems to accept that, however talented Benning might be, he started his tenure in Vancouver as a rookie GM, and rookies of all sorts make mistakes. Some franchise statistical lows over the past few seasons limit how loudly anyone can trumpet Benning's accomplishments so far while remaining connected to the results we can observe on the ice.

My own interpretation of what we have observed so far is that Benning is a solid hockey man (though no genius) who started in an unusually difficult position in terms of both available material and direction from ownership, and has grown in the position.
We all have strengths and faults.
Hence, we are all Jim Benning.

I’ll return to my mountaintop now and resume listening to one hand clapping.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Still on the fence. Likely to jump into one yard or another very soon.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:35 pm
Cornuck wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:00 pm Road Trippin': The Canucks will embark on 12 road trips this season with six-games away from Rogers Arena being the longest and occurring on three separate occasions (Oct. 6-18, Nov. 6-15 and Dec. 27-Jan. 5).
14 of the first 21 on the road. We'll know if the playoffs are a possibility by Remembrance Day.
Lol we will know by July 1 if they are a possibility
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:07 am
:lol: we'll certainly be able to make an educated guess by training camp. But this IS the year right, the year the Canucks make the playoffs (and look good doing it)?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It’s hard to say. The goalposts are pretty nomadic to say the least
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

explains why you don't watch games
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Fall back for Jack!
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:57 am
I watch games when they are entertaining. Needless to say I haven’t watched a hell of a lot of the team past Christmas for the past three years. Good for you if you can stomach the crap Elmer and Trevor have been feeding the sheep for the last three years. It’s one thing to lose and have kids getting better but other than Brock and Bo there has been no kids showing much of anything the past three seasons.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:19 am
Topper wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:57 am
I watch games when they are entertaining. Needless to say I haven’t watched a hell of a lot of the team past Christmas for the past three years. Good for you if you can stomach the crap Elmer and Trevor have been feeding the sheep for the last three years. It’s one thing to lose and have kids getting better but other than Brock and Bo there has been no kids showing much of anything the past three seasons.
That's pretty harsh but essentially true. But I don't mind being the jack-ass that says, IMO we don't have the coaching staff needed.
Since the season ended, that became more of a worry to me.
Something along the lines of stepping back and taking a look at grass root problems.
Very little developing happening at the Big League level.
"evolution"