Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by theman »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:17 pm So I was chatting with some friends today about the Canucks. Nothing earth shattering, just a few tidbits.

Players very excited about Quinn Hughes. Say he’s the real deal.

Players very excited by a Pettersson, say he’s the real deal.

Pouliot done for sure, players have no confidence in him.

Gudbranson really didn’t want to leave. Was chocked about the trade. Was a very popular guy in the dressing room.

About Trymakin, not a popular teammate. Overhyped. Not good at systems. Even with a translator was always slow to get up to speed. It’s the same problem he has in the KHL. It’s like he’s in his own world on the ice and players find it hard to read what he’s doing.

On free agency. EK not the target although they will kick the tires if he gets to UFA. Main target is going to be a winger to play with Pettersson and Boeser, either by trade or FA.

Demko is a flake. A different sort of dude.
If he played any other position than goalie I would be very worried about that comment.

Thanks for the tidbits.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:17 pm About Trymakin, not a popular teammate. Overhyped. Not good at systems. Even with a translator was always slow to get up to speed. It’s the same problem he has in the KHL. It’s like he’s in his own world on the ice and players find it hard to read what he’s doing.
Fine, trade him to the Leaves. :mex:

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:17 pm Demko is a flake. A different sort of dude.
Fine, trade him to the Flames. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I’ve heard rumblings about his personality for the last couple of years. Not really sure exactly what it is. I do know with the emergence of Markstrom there is a school of thought that you sell high on Demko.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Is Demko a flake in a negative way or a David Booth "weird dude" kind of way?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 pm Is Demko a flake in a negative way or a David Booth "weird dude" kind of way?

Ya, I think in a weird SoCal kinda way.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With regards to goaltending, what I was told, was that the Canucks are very high on DiPietro. They see him as the goalie of the future. They are also very high on Jake Kielly and think 2-3 years working with him will help him elevate his game with the potential to be a starter in the NHL. Now they’re still high on Demko it’s just he apparently is quirky. But the main issue is with the emergence of Markstrom they now see Demko as a blue chip trade piece. I suspect they’d like to keep him for a year to really showcase him and we know one of Markstrom or Demko will be exposed in the expansion draft if we still have both.

But I wouldn’t be shocked if he gets traded this summer if it helps land a top six left winger or move up in the draft. I don’t think it’s a bad situation where they are shopping him just that they are aware of his value and the interest he garners in trade discussions.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m telling ya, Demko is getting traded maybe not right away but eventually. Apparently this goalie they signed out of college is pretty good.

Yeah trade Tryamkins rights
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Which teams are desperate for goalies?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:53 pm Which teams are desperate for goalies?
Flames and Jackets (Goalie Blob leaving) spring to mind.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Bad move to keep Marky over Demko. The quirky dude is in the same age group as our core, he's shown his improving game. Dare I say, his development has been very smooth and quick for a goalie.

Marky had one good year and is nearing the age where all goalies take a nosedive in every category, while Demko is nearing the age where goalies hits their prime stats-wise.

Pump and dump Marky. Sell high before he goes backwards.

I don't see Dipietro as being a goalie of the future at all. Too small, too little technique. Hoping he becomes the next Jonathan Quick? Not sure that's a wise bet. I could see why management could be enamored by his attitude though. Talks the talk. Can he walk the walk?
Last edited by Carl Yagro on Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:53 pm Which teams are desperate for goalies?
Change that to rookie goalie. I think a number of teams need a proven number one but aren’t in a position to gamble with an unproven guy. I’m thinking Calgary here.

Florida, Philly, Detroit, Rangers, Anaheim, Edmonton, Ottawa, minny, Chicago, maybe, Buffalo, NJD. A lot could use a proven guy but I don’t know how many would gamble on him yet. Not for the return we’d want anyway.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:59 pm Bad move to keep Marky over Demko. The quirky dude is in the same age group as our core, he's shown his improving game. Dare I say, his development has been very smooth and quick for a goalie.

Marky had one good year and is nearing the age where all goalies take a nosedive in every category, while Demko is nearing the age where goalies hits their prime stats-wise.

I don't see Dipietro as being a goalie of the future at all. Too small, too little technique. Hoping he becomes the next Jonathan Quick? Not sure that's a wise bet. I could see why management could be enamored by his attitude though. Talks the talk. Can he walk the walk?
I agree. I don’t see it in DiPietro at all and I know nothing of Jake Kielly. I think Markstrom has another 6ish year’s in him at a top level. That gels nicely with our core. I’m ok keeping him but it would be hard to part with Demko right now. But who knows, by January someone could be offering up a 1st for Markstrom. Demko doesn’t get us that.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:00 pm
Change that to rookie goalie. I think a number of teams need a proven number one but aren’t in a position to gamble with an unproven guy. I’m thinking Calgary here.

Florida, Philly, Detroit, Rangers, Anaheim, Edmonton, Ottawa, minny, Chicago, maybe, Buffalo, NJD. A lot could use a proven guy but I don’t know how many would gamble on him yet. Not for the return we’d want anyway.
I’d remove Anaheim from that list. Gibson is a good goalie but that team in front of him is awful. I’d also remove the Rangers from that list they have the best goalie prospect in the game - Shestyorkin. Same with the Flyers - Carter Hart
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hank wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:59 pm Bad move to keep Marky over Demko. The quirky dude is in the same age group as our core, he's shown his improving game. Dare I say, his development has been very smooth and quick for a goalie.

Yes. All this Demko talk is just talk. It’s well knows no he’s good buddies with Brock and Hughes
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If they aren’t sure about Demko yet, they should move him and draft Spencer Knight with the 10th pick.
I have no issue with moving either goalie for a good price, because only one can be protected in the expansion draft, and if they both keep trending up Seattle will be grabbing one for nothing.
Knight will be a starter and won’t have to be protected in the expansion draft.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.