Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:47 am Pettersson out 7-10 days minimum with a concussion.

I guess the flight lit up his noggin
So this is the third player they’ve brow beaten to jump on a plane when these guys have had concussions. This should play well with the fanbase/media.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:47 am Pettersson out 7-10 days minimum with a concussion.

I'm not going to say, could've been worse. I'm going to say, was hoping he'd just miss one game, if any.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/stat ... 8177068032

Damn, to put it mildly.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 am

So this is the third player they’ve brow beaten to jump on a plane when these guys have had concussions. This should play well with the fanbase/media.
You are right about that. WTF ?
"evolution"
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 am

I am more upset about this than the lack of a violent response to the incident in the first place. Hire a town car to drive him back or rent a suite in Florida to recoup in. Is their medical adviser Dr. Nick or what?
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:54 am
Carlyee wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 am
Pretend for a moment that someone from the Canucks did take time away from doing their job and pummeled Mathison. Thought about it? Are you happy? Did the pummeling make EP any less injured? Will the pummeling make EP recover any faster? The answer is no.

By this logic when EP returns will he continue to strut his stuff or will he become timid, scared that anyone can attempt to seriously hurt him because there is no one that will make that person pay?

You don't do what EP has done already by being scared. You continue to follow this antiquated line of reasoning, Like we could have had Wade Brookbank in the line up and Mathison would have still did what he did. It happens time and again. The NHL has the power to stop this and they just refuse to.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ukcanuck wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 am
Pretend for a moment that someone from the Canucks did take time away from doing their job and pummeled Mathison. Thought about it? Are you happy? Did the pummeling make EP any less injured? Will the pummeling make EP recover any faster? The answer is no.

By this logic when EP returns will he continue to strut his stuff or will he become timid, scared that anyone can attempt to seriously hurt him because there is no one that will make that person pay?
I find the deterrent line of thinking not logical. The guys that make it to the NHL on blood and guts aren’t going to back down because Matheson took a beating for his cheap shot.

I don’t think that has ever worked. It just leads to penalties and short handed goals and being marked by the officials.

What seems to work is being proactive in the physical department. The skill guys play with skilll and the physical guys play physical. Our guys who can’t play the finesse game need to earn their spot on the roster by being such a pain in the ass that the other guys are too busy thinking about getting even to worry about our skill guys.

The greatest asshole this decade in that department seems to be Marchant. He’s forever getting away with blue murder because he starts the shit and turtles and gets everyone howling mad and he laughs his ass off.

We got a guy in Virtanen who seems to be an asshole in training. Let’s see him and a few others start rattling cages and take heat away from our skill.

Let’s have the other team whining to the league and talk about messages and moral victories for a change
Its not about beating revenge into Mathesons face UK. Its about standing up for one another when someone does that to your superstar teenager. Its not for the opponents at all its for our own players and the team concept. Its been missing for a long time now.

They should've got in there and done something. The goal and the win are fuck all in the grand scheme of things
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Carlyee wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:29 am

You don't do what EP has done already by being scared. You continue to follow this antiquated line of reasoning, Like we could have had Wade Brookbank in the line up and Mathison would have still did what he did. It happens time and again. The NHL has the power to stop this and they just refuse to.
You may think the "code" is antiquated but I'm sure I've noticed other teams still implementing it and successfully protecting their young stars.
Well let's be fair and say keeping it to a minimum.
C'mon man, it was a bloody body slam! You just don't see that very often.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ukcanuck wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 am

I find the deterrent line of thinking not logical. The guys that make it to the NHL on blood and guts aren’t going to back down because Matheson took a beating for his cheap shot.

I don’t think that has ever worked. It just leads to penalties and short handed goals and being marked by the officials.

What seems to work is being proactive in the physical department. The skill guys play with skilll and the physical guys play physical. Our guys who can’t play the finesse game need to earn their spot on the roster by being such a pain in the ass that the other guys are too busy thinking about getting even to worry about our skill guys.

The greatest asshole this decade in that department seems to be Marchant. He’s forever getting away with blue murder because he starts the shit and turtles and gets everyone howling mad and he laughs his ass off.

We got a guy in Virtanen who seems to be an asshole in training. Let’s see him and a few others start rattling cages and take heat away from our skill.

Let’s have the other team whining to the league and talk about messages and moral victories for a change
That's a decent plan. Very logical. The coach has to initiate it, or at least allow it.
Jake, or anyone for that matter, gets benched or cut back when they attempt anything that results in penalty minutes.
At least so far.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Experience with the concussion protocol last June after my son crashed and broke his helmet. Big thing is, you don't know what the effects will be. All you do is slowly, step wise increase brain activity as long as the patient is feeling better. At any point, if symptoms return, it is back to square one. The biggest issue is keeping the patient from doing too much as they begin to feel better.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch the game later today.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If there is no suspension, shouldn't Gudbranson do the same thing to Crosby tomorrow?

Seems like a strategy to win games.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 am
Carlyee wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:29 am

You may think the "code" is antiquated but I'm sure I've noticed other teams still implementing it and successfully protecting their young stars.
Well let's be fair and say keeping it to a minimum.
C'mon man, it was a bloody body slam! You just don't see that very often.
Just for the record. I think the single leg take down has no place in hockey and Mathison should be suspended for 10 games. Will it happen? Absolutley not. But what I am saying is the nhl should PUNISH these idiotic plays. Harshly.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 am
Lancer wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 am
rikster wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:37 am
micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:45 am I heard that generic interview with Horvat. Twice. Once right after the game and again today driving around.
I freakin hated it. No doubt he's fully invested in whatever this sickening, fairyland culture that's being implemented by Green.
If, and I say that because I don't know yet, Benning approves of this "turn the other cheek cause I'm not dead yet", style, then he's not capable
of BIG BOSS and should just concentrate on the scouting end of things.
Hockey is a contact sport. The way this team is coming across, they are a woman's lower region hair away from being described as kitty-kats.
Sure, hockey is evolving. It's always evolving but it's still based on certain principals. To take all the body contact, (violence), away, and
there's no more viable product to sell.
Does there need to be retribution at times? I say yes, and I'll take it one step more and say that it should be quick and succinct.
Do you treat a wound right away or let it fester?
THE CODE is very real. It isn't just some ancient phrase from the 60s.
In the long run, IMO, the longer something goes unanswered, the more somethings there's going to be.
All the way till everyone is laughing at you.
I get the "code" reaction, but the league took the code away and the majority of players today don't follow the code so it is what it is....

It's the leagues responsibility to enforce its "code" by way of suspension, and come the next CBA both the league and the players need to include language that makes these type of incidents rare...

And in the meantime, I prefer taking a stick to their star player rather than fighting a meatball like Matheson...

Take care...
Agreed. Sometimes the league needs its hand forced. Problem is if it was a Canuck who forces its hand, no doubt the narrative goes back to blaming the avenger a-la Moore. Because it’s Vancouver. Still, wouldn’t shed a tear if someone like Virtanen had shredded Barkov’s knee ligaments. Like others have said, lotta NHLers only understand simple forms of deterrence.
So by this logic you would have been ok if someone on the Flames threw Pettersson to the ice WWW style as payback for Gudbranson’s shot on Dube.
Oranges and limes, HDub. The fact Matheson is having a hearing with DoPS while Gudbranson didn’t should tell you that your comparison is faulty. Matheson got embarrassed and went out to get Pettersson in a predatory manner with intent. Gudbranson went to get a hard hit in on a smaller player - and he actually apologized afterward. Did Matheson do anything of the sort?

My point remains that this team will never get a fair shake when it comes to the league protecting their stars, so they may as well invest in their own protection.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 am Experience with the concussion protocol last June after my son crashed and broke his helmet. Big thing is, you don't know what the effects will be. All you do is slowly, step wise increase brain activity as long as the patient is feeling better. At any point, if symptoms return, it is back to square one. The biggest issue is keeping the patient from doing too much as they begin to feel better.
Where I'm glad to hear Pettersson is feeling better everyday, bodes well for a return where he's 100% hopefully.

Travis Green has spoken:

http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-12623?smc=10
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.