Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah no. The idea of bringing in a president is to keep the owner the fuck away from making personnel decisions. He can go run his other businesses and stay the fuck out of the hockey decisions.

Elmer needs to be on a choke chain
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:42 pm Yeah no. The idea of bringing in a president is to keep the owner the fuck away from making personnel decisions. He can go run his other businesses and stay the fuck out of the hockey decisions.

Elmer needs to be on a choke chain
For crying out loud Blob. Please define a little better what you mean by "hockey decisions". It's a bit vague.
I don't want to start a fight nor will I get involved with who is the best GM, JB or MG.
It's ridiculous because their agendas were so totally different.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mickey, they need a senior hockey man. A President of Hockey Operations. He would be Benning’s boss and he would tell Aquilini how things will go. That obviously wasn’t Trevor Linden. The leaves have a good setup where Dubas must answer to Shanahan. We need something similar here. Elmer needs to be accountable to someone for these signings and trades
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

What president with any clout and experience wants to come in and not pick his guy to manage the team?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Meh.... he has a year to check out the organization from tip to tail and see what’s working and what isn’t. any name guy is getting a five year deal making good coin. Elmer has one year + a team option left and Green has two years. It’s actually an advantageous situation. See if the current crew is competent or not and move forward with a plan. Make sure there aren’t more Sutter or Beagle or Eriksson contracts or trades for age gap players.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire. They are definitely looking at filling the position
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Ownership has been looking to fill the position since Linden left.

No one of any prominence wants it.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:37 am There's a rumour going around that GIllis has been contacted about coming back at the new Pres of the Canucks - doubt it's credible, but it sure would be great to see Strange freaking out if it happens.

Given how GIllis left I doubt it's a real rumour, but I sure hope it is just for the jokes!
If dreams are all you have then by all means dream on my friend...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BladesofSteel wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:55 pm Ownership has been looking to fill the position since Linden left.

I have this concern as well. I remember back in the 80s nobody wanted anything to do with running this team.

Linden was a hand puppet. They need a REAL prez here not a chump for Aquilini
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:06 pm
BladesofSteel wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:55 pm Ownership has been looking to fill the position since Linden left.

I have this concern as well. I remember back in the 80s nobody wanted anything to do with running this team.

Linden was a hand puppet. They need a REAL prez here not a chump for Aquilini

Yes, but do chumps ever give up control? Bring Brian Burke back!! As if....
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ken Holland has BC roots and is a well respected hockey guy. He fits the bill
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

From my viewpoint of the U-18 this Harley plays a nice looking game
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well there may be something to the bring back Gillis rumors. and don't everyone go crazy on this because it's really not so crazy.
MG and JB only are comparable it the wording of the title.
When Linden came in, we went to the 3 position system. Pres, GM, coach.
Now the coach must just be the coach. Anything more than that is just plain dumb.
He should certainly be able to come to his GM regularilly and talk about ALL aspects of any particular player and also what he thinks
is needed or should be changed in regards to player personnel.
If Jim Benning is in the position of having to do everything right now, including marketing, public perception, pricing shit, etc,
well that's just nuts.
It's also dumb to think Bennings responsibilities should be diverted in any direction other than player personnel.

But to bring in anyone with the title of president is dumb too. It denotes the idea of super boss, god, THE man.
That's bullshit.
Directer of hockey operations, is a decent title. Fuck the (Prez) title. No super boss, no, no, no.
Like it or not, the only super boss that can do whatever they want is the owner or owners of a team.
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:18 pm Wouldn't mind Gillis or Burke brought in as a president of the club, but I would qualify the hiring.
I liked Burkie when he was here and all, but I think he maybe a little too old now. I doubt his brash Irishmen personality would mix well with the Aqaus either.

Gillis maybe. He knows the family and is quite diplomatic, but he'll probably want more autonomy and power this time around. If the team need a new coach, he'll want to be the guy who makes the final decision (no ownership pushing a guy like Tortz on him) and if he has a trade that he likes (ie: Kes to Pitts), ownership should not be able to veto him.

The big question is: can Gillis get along with JB? Gillis was praised for adding the right pieces, being forward thinking (using anything to get an edge in analytics, sleep doctors, pushing for a favorable road schedule, etc) and handing out fair/team friendly contracts, but horrible at drafting. JB is praised for his drafting, but question marks for his trades and contracts. He doesn't seem to be very forward thinking to prevent potential problems and just deals with shit as it comes. A perfect example of this was our goalie situation this year, when he had to call up a goalie from juniors and finally had to trade for Mazanec. I don't think Mazanec even played a game for us and I'll be surprised if we even keep him around for next season.

If Gillis and JB can work together, they could form to become the top hockey executive duo in all of hockey. JB can manage the scouting dept and manage the daily operations of the club, but Gillis will have final say on contracts/trades. I think it could work, JB is not a guy who really likes the limelight. He's really a scout at heart, just hums and haws and goes about his business. I don't think he'd care if he had to report to Trev, Aqua or Gillis. Gilis has shown that he's open to keep personnel from previous regimes. Everyone thought he was going to fire AV and clean house when he first came aboard, but he gave AV a chance and worked with him to give this franchise some of its best years. I think Gillis kept alot of scouts and other staff that he inherited as well.

I doubt anyone else of significance will want the job. I don't think big name guys like Holland/Armstrong would want to come here because of the rep the Aquas have. Gillis on the other hand doesn't really have anything better to do and it's not like other NHL teams have sought after his services. Let's get her done. Time for Gillis and JB to form the top executive duo in the NHL. :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

First, BB testified for the Sandman in the ownership dispute. No way in hell does he get near the team. Second, the MG rumours were started by MG and company, he's not coming back. Do I believe we might get a new president? Yes I do. When these rumours start there is usually something to them. The Water Boy's style though is to have someone lined up and ready to go before there is an announcement that we are even looking. I think he may be getting ready to get someone in here who can clean house if and when it becomes necessary.

But he is also a control freak. He cant get along with someone who wants a certain amount of autonomy. And someone who wants a certain amount of autonomy cant get along with him. Linden was promised autonomy and when that failed Linden bolted. Now owners have the right to be as involved as little or as much as they want. But you cant promise it and take it away.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:53 pm and he would tell Aquilini how things will go.
Lol...now come out of the sandbox, Blubbles. Play time is over
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau