Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Richardstroker69 »

I expect edler, guddy, Schaller, roussel, liepsic, and virtanen are gonna be assholes this year. The team has finally now reached the tipping point for jerks on the ice.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:05 pm I expect edler, guddy, Schaller, roussel, liepsic, and virtanen are gonna be assholes this year. The team has finally now reached the tipping point for jerks on the ice.
Edler ?? Definitely not an asshole. Doesn't fight, not an aggravater,
Schaller plays a tough game but not an asshole.
Leipsic ? Doubt he makes the team
Jake might be a good one.
Roussel is ok - just hope he can stay healthy.
Guddy can fight but doesn't do it often

The supreme assholes in this league are Marchand with Kesler a distant second. Both are good at throwing opponents off their game. Both are good at all aspects of the game, neither are good fighters.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Are we still concerned about NHL hockey 1970’s?

I got news for you. Goon hockey is dead folks

Toughness in today’s NHL now equates to compete level, playing in the dirty areas, board battle, forecheck hound, puck hound etc
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:32 am Are we still concerned about NHL hockey 1970’s?

Toughness in today’s NHL now equates to compete level, playing in the dirty areas, board battle, forecheck hound, puck hound etc
It aint Slapshot but goon hockey will never be gone. Although better hidden and more severe reprimands, It's there.
Guys are just getting trickier about it.
Some will always find ways to hurt in an ugly way.
"evolution"
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Tiger wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:47 am Both are good at all aspects of the game, neither are good fighters.
Interesting. This would seem to imply that you do not consider fighting a part of the game. I thought you held a different position.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Highlights on the pitch from a couple of ex-Canucks:

Soccer Sedinery

After some cheeky Sedinery in the box, Dank sends Hank in alone... AND he still can't score... on a girl and into a much larger net. Good to see some things never change.

Starts at 1:19

Henrik does get another assist though.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It can happen
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:22 am
Tiger wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:47 am Both are good at all aspects of the game, neither are good fighters.
Interesting. This would seem to imply that you do not consider fighting a part of the game. I thought you held a different position.
I don’t get that from the quoted statement. I get neither are good fighters? WAIM?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

rats19 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:35 pm
I don’t get that from the quoted statement. I get neither are good fighters? WAIM?
Both are good at all aspects of the game. Both are not good at fighting. Therefore, fighting is not an aspect of the game (otherwise, they would be good at it, as per statement 1).

Clear?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:02 pm
rats19 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:35 pm
Both are good at all aspects of the game. Both are not good at fighting. Therefore, fighting is not an aspect of the game (otherwise, they would be good at it, as per statement 1).

Clear?
Got it now thnx!
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:32 am Are we still concerned about NHL hockey 1970’s?

Yeah but if he can scrap - even better - ala Tom Wilson doing the dirty work as you said but he's also a deterrent to help the Ovie line win a Championship, as there are a shit load of dirty mother fuckers trying to injure star players.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:10 pm ... there are a shit load of dirty mother fuckers trying to injure star players.
Tom Wilson being one of those dirty mothers!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

No I didn't mean fighting isn't a part of the game. I would love to see Tom Wilson in a Canucks uniform. I meant an asshole doesnt have to be a great fighter. Kesler actually fought Iginla . Didn't win the fight but both ended in the penalty box and the Canucks went on to win the game. Tiger Williams has the NHL record for fighting majors but really wasn't a great fighter. He was a supreme asshole. His fights normally were short and ended up with Tiger covering up or turning turtle. He was fantastic at irritating the opposition.
PS.. for those that think tough play and fighting are no longer needed ... I guess you don't watch the playoffs. The toughest physical team usually wins..Bruins over Canucks... Capitals over Vegas.. etc.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Tiger wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:31 am
No I didn't mean fighting isn't a part of the game. I would love to see Tom Wilson in a Canucks uniform. I meant an asshole doesnt have to be a great fighter. Kesler actually fought Iginla . Didn't win the fight but both ended in the penalty box and the Canucks went on to win the game. Tiger Williams has the NHL record for fighting majors but really wasn't a great fighter. He was a supreme asshole. His fights normally were short and ended up with Tiger covering up or turning turtle. He was fantastic at irritating the opposition.
PS.. for those that think tough play and fighting are no longer needed ... I guess you don't watch the playoffs. The toughest physical team usually wins..Bruins over Canucks... Capitals over Vegas.. etc.
A wise man, to be sure. :thumbs:
"evolution"
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Tiger wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:31 am
No I didn't mean fighting isn't a part of the game.
I didn't think you meant that, but it follows from what you said (see explanation to Rats).

I think your statement was sort of an analogy to a Freudian slip, whereby you subconsciously sorted the peculiar combative sport of "rink-boxing" into a different category from skating, passing, shooting, checking, and even agitating. But I only point that out for amusement's sake and don't want to debate the matter, so let's just say you put it in a unique category because, as you explained, it's effect on the game depends less on the outcome of the contest than the choice of opponent.
Last edited by Ronning's Ghost on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.