Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:36 am Mick, take a Prozac. Gagne didn't make it out of camp. Got out worked, out played and (rightfully) got sent down (like Management said people would). Gags went down, did all the right things, was a pro, and (due to injuries) is getting his shot to remake the NHL..

What's the big deal?? It's the hockey cycle, nothing worth getting excited over.
Yup, Sutter and Beagle were all-out hustle two-way vet pros, Horvat and Petey were the young scoring phenoms.
And Motte and Leipsic speed and hustle got a hard earned start to the roster, notably Motte plays pretty awesome with Sutter/Beagle on the penalty kill.

Granlund Sutter
Motte Beagle

iirc were outright dominate on the PK.

Anyways that's why Gagner was the odd man out, but like he should be - wasn't too happy about being demoted, but he took it, and played great with the Marlies, was their top dude there.

I'll appreciate his veteran presence out there.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I for one am loving what I see, we see the emergence of a couple stars, the continuing improvement of a couple young guys and also seeing what we have in a few others. Having Brock and Sutter back would go a long way to support the top 9, I would like to see a Sutter V2 at less cap hit.

On D, the coaches and management cannot deny any longer that there is some massive issues and I believe JB can address these in the next 2 years. As it is easy for me to do, I can now say that the 3 off season guys signed last year, maybe 1 of these converted to a steady bottom pairing D man would have been a better use of cap.

In net, something has to happen here, Markstrom nor Nillsson are #1 regardless of the D in front of them. Goaltending is also like voodoo, good one day and bad the next. Very few goalies have been consistent year after year. Again JB has how work cut out for him.

Still exciting to watch the games just to see what EP will try.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Foundational (not giving up on for now)
Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser
Virtanen
Tanev
Edler
Hughes
Juolevi
Woo
Tryamkin
Lockwood
Demko
Di Pietro
Dahlen
Gaudette
Lind
Madden
Gadjovich
Brisebios

Semi Foundational (will consider but like for now)
Sutter
Beagle
Stecher
Granlund
McEwen
Schaller
Roussel
Baertschi
Hutton
Markstrom
Goldobin
Gudbranson

The non foundational (whatever)
Leipsic
Chatfield
Boucher
Sautner
McEneny
Nilsson
Motte
Gaunce
Gagner
Biega
Pouliot
Del Zotto
Archibald
Eriksson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:44 pm Foundational (not giving up on for now)
Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser
Virtanen
Tanev
Edler
Hughes
Juolevi
Woo
Tryamkin
Lockwood
Demko
Di Pietro
Dahlen
Gaudette
Lind
Madden
Gadjovich
Brisebios

Sutter
Beagle
Stecher
Granlund
McEwen
Schaller
Roussel
Baertschi
Hutton
Markstrom
Goldobin
Gudbranson

Leipsic
Chatfield
Boucher
Sautner
McEneny
Nilsson
Motte
Gaunce
Gagner
Biega
Pouliot
Del Zotto
Archibald
Eriksson
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm I for one am loving what I see, we see the emergence of a couple stars, the continuing improvement of a couple young guys and also seeing what we have in a few others. Having Brock and Sutter back would go a long way to support the top 9, I would like to see a Sutter V2 at less cap hit.

On D, the coaches and management cannot deny any longer that there is some massive issues and I believe JB can address these in the next 2 years. As it is easy for me to do, I can now say that the 3 off season guys signed last year, maybe 1 of these converted to a steady bottom pairing D man would have been a better use of cap.

In net, something has to happen here, Markstrom nor Nillsson are #1 regardless of the D in front of them. Goaltending is also like voodoo, good one day and bad the next. Very few goalies have been consistent year after year. Again JB has how work cut out for him.

Ya this year is all about how the next wave develops. Really cant help but imagine how well Hughes would've looked on this roster. He has moves like jagger
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:44 pm Foundational (not giving up on for now)
Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser
Virtanen
Tanev
Edler
Hughes
Juolevi
Woo
Tryamkin
Lockwood
Demko
Di Pietro
Dahlen
Gaudette
Lind
Madden
Gadjovich
Brisebios

Sutter
Beagle
Stecher
Granlund
McEwen
Schaller
Roussel
Baertschi
Hutton
Markstrom
Goldobin
Gudbranson

Leipsic
Chatfield
Boucher
Sautner
McEneny
Nilsson
Motte
Gaunce
Gagner
Biega
Pouliot
Del Zotto
Archibald
Eriksson
Foundational one and all. Guys who have yet to suit up for a game no less. That’s quite the core assembled. I think you should just blend the foundational and semi foundational .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:13 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm I for one am loving what I see, we see the emergence of a couple stars, the continuing improvement of a couple young guys and also seeing what we have in a few others. Having Brock and Sutter back would go a long way to support the top 9, I would like to see a Sutter V2 at less cap hit.

Ya this year is all about how the next wave develops. Really cant help but imagine how well Hughes would've looked on this roster. He has moves like jagger
There was nothing worthwhile out there this past summer D-wise Reef. With Hughes,Juolevi,Woo & Rathbone (plus whomever they draft next year) in the system things aren't that bleak on Defense.
This year is all about development and if they finish better than last season i'll consider this season a success.
Green really has the team playing well (for the most part), it was really evident to me on Sat. when i watched the Coilers implode in the 3rd period, they couldn't breakout or string a few passes together for the life of them.
Canucks have been playing with jump for a full 60 minutes most games and barring serious injury they should easily do better than last season.
It is much more entertaining at the very least.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm On D, the coaches and management cannot deny any longer that there is some massive issues and I believe JB can address these in the next 2 years.
Hughes, Juolevi, Tryamkin... Woo?

It's already been addressed.

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm As it is easy for me to do, I can now say that the 3 off season guys signed last year, maybe 1 of these converted to a steady bottom pairing D man would have been a better use of cap.
"Better use of the cap"?? :eh:

Tons of capspace, they could have easily signed those forwards plus a dman.

But who? Not many were available and they likely wouldn't have chosen your Canucks in a rebuild.

And what would we eventually do with that "steady bottom pairing D man"

... with Edler, Tanev, Guds, Hutton, Hughes, Juolevi, and Tryamkin sitting there?

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm In net, something has to happen here, Markstrom nor Nillsson are #1 regardless of the D in front of them... Again JB has how work cut out for him.
Demko, DiPietro.
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

dangler wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 pm There was nothing worthwhile out there this past summer D-wise Reef. With Hughes,Juolevi,Woo & Rathbone (plus whomever they draft next year) in the system things aren't that bleak on Defense.
This year is all about development and if they finish better than last season i'll consider this season a success.
Green really has the team playing well (for the most part), it was really evident to me on Sat. when i watched the Coilers implode in the 3rd period, they couldn't breakout or string a few passes together for the life of them.
Canucks have been playing with jump for a full 60 minutes most games and barring serious injury they should easily do better than last season.
It is much more entertaining at the very least.
Understood about the D, hopefully next season is better.

For the D you mentioned, IMO only Hughes is a lock.

The highlighted part is what keeps me watching the games (when they do not start at 4:00).
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:50 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm On D, the coaches and management cannot deny any longer that there is some massive issues and I believe JB can address these in the next 2 years.

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm As it is easy for me to do, I can now say that the 3 off season guys signed last year, maybe 1 of these converted to a steady bottom pairing D man would have been a better use of cap.
"Better use of the cap"?? :eh:

Tons of capspace, they could have easily signed those forwards plus a dman.

But who? Not many were available and they likely wouldn't have chosen your Canucks in a rebuild.

And what would we eventually do with that "steady bottom pairing D man"

... with Edler, Tanev, Guds, Hutton, Hughes, Juolevi, and Tryamkin sitting there?
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:35 pm In net, something has to happen here, Markstrom nor Nillsson are #1 regardless of the D in front of them... Again JB has how work cut out for him.
Demko, DiPietro.
buzzkill

Buzzkill (n. or v.trans.)
1. Buzzkill, anything that takes the edge off your fluff, a downer, something that ruins your good mood; a killjoy.
2. (verb) to selectively and deliberately bring down someone's mood by actions that are designed to irritate, annoy or downright upset a person.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw-NDIoCDsA[/youtube]

Seriously - WTF is with the me not being able to do a you tube thing.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cool so that’s it folks. The blueline has already been addressed
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:09 pm
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw-NDIoCDsA[/youtube]

Seriously - WTF is with the me not being able to do a you tube thing.
Just put the Youtube ID in between the tags. When you hover over the youtube tool thingy in the editor toolbar, it tells you:

[youtube]Enter the Youtube ID[/youtube]

The Youtube ID for this video is: Kw-NDIoCDsA

Voila!

The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:09 pm buzzkill

Buzzkill (n. or v.trans.)
1. Buzzkill, anything that takes the edge off your fluff, a downer, something that ruins your good mood; a killjoy.
2. (verb) to selectively and deliberately bring down someone's mood by actions that are designed to irritate, annoy or downright upset a person.
So you were happier when you thought the future of your Canucks dee + goaltending was bleak? :eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Cool so that’s it folks. The blueline has already been addressed
Yeah for the upcoming draft going to need to veer away from picking D even if BPA cause the cupboard is just too full of blue chip D.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu