Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Topper »

UWSaint wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:32 am
micky107 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:27 am Goldobin gets back in it sounds like. Because Brian Burke texted Green and asked him, LOL
https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/stat ... 8395337728
I am in the camp who believes that Goldobin is continually improving, though in a 2 steps forward 1 step back kind of a way. His in the D zone play has improved. His D responsibility has improved (like when Stecher pinches...). His worst attribute is his tendency to make high-risk low-reward plays, but that has to be balanced against the fact that his is one of the few Canuck players that can execute any kind of high reward play. Goldobin possesses vision of the entire offensive zone; really only Pettersson and Boeser have this attribute. Outside of capitalizing on rebounds caused by net presence and the occassional odd man rush or breakaway, that's the way goals are scored in the NHL. Full ice vision, cross ice passes.
UW, agree...and those high risk passes were becoming too common, sooner or later he, Elias and Brock need to get back to occasionally beating defenders with heir skill to open up those cross ice passes and dumps to the slot. They've become complacent and predictable. Hence Goldobn sat and watched one game. hopefully he saw space he can work with.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Since Goldy's arrival in North America as an unknown junior in the CHL he quickly become known for his playmaking, passing and carrying the puck ability (hence his stellar possession metrics) more than his shooting but he does get a lot of shots off, his defensive play has never been any good, but maybe he's being forced to learn that more and more, learning the hard way.

And it's no surprise he does better playing with creative players, funny that eh?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

You don’t win games by scoring many goals. You win by scoring more goals then you give up. Goldobin can’t do that.
Most decent wingers in the league are probably chuckling under their breath when they line-up opposite Goldobin.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

Goldobin gets back in it sounds like. Because Brian Burke texted Green and asked him, LOL

Hey Mick, Travis Green stated last year that his mom likes Goldobin and hassled him about sitting him before. So there may be more forces working to get Goldy back in the line-up then just Burkie.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Linc wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:25 pm Goldobin gets back in it sounds like. Because Brian Burke texted Green and asked him, LOL

Hey Mick, Travis Green stated last year that his mom likes Goldobin and hassled him about sitting him before. So there may be more forces working to get Goldy back in the line-up then just Burkie.
Never argue with The Mom.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

One of the best things I've heard from the Patriots and Brady is them saying: "If such and such (QB) had our team by team breakdown and systems knowledge, that QB would be the best in the league"

The Patriots were one of the best at scouting and analyzing every team and studying their nuances and tendencies so they can exploit every teams weaknesses, so much so they got busted for putting spying devises in teams lockerooms....but for NHL sake to Scotty Bowman albeit at a coaching level, he was the all round master at making every player on his team gung-ho, he's like a CIA Director in that he can manipulate any person to make them go all out, which made a lot of players hate him, but he got them going without destroying their mind psyche too much ala old Torts/Keenan, and of course with that his teams won multiple championships.

What I'm getting at is what Horvat said after the game, saying they studied game tape of the Preds and that helped them win, well hopefully the team is getting better at analyzing every team.

The Patriots did everything like a CIA team, made other teams headsets fuzzy, making them unhearable.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/11/ ... te-spygate

At least 5 teams https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... tampering/

Stole playsheets.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/repo ... ygate-era/

I mean the Patriots got cheating down to a science.
https://yourteamcheats.com/NE

But they do anything and everything to win, they are the modern day mafia, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

Where the Canucks need to be more ruthless, but instead, have the Canucks analyze teams coaches and players to seek out weaknesses.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Goldy's biggest issue for me is not so much the high risk/reward plays that he attempts, it's the ones he tries at the blue lines (plural)...

For him sometimes more is less...

Regarding the Patriots, could never stand their coach until I saw a 30/30 episode on him and now he my favorite NFL coach and the Patriots one of my favorite teams...

He's a pretty special talent and the cheating incidents shouldn't take away from his brilliance...

Take care...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:12 pm You don’t win games by scoring many goals. You win by scoring more goals then you give up. Goldobin can’t do that.
Most decent wingers in the league are probably chuckling under their breath when they line-up opposite Goldobin.
You’re going to eventually lose this one my friend.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Maybe, but he isn’t really a speedster. He is poor along the boards. He makes too many dumb passes. And he is weak defensively.
Until he proves otherwise, I don’t see much difference between him and Gagner.
And I don’t want either on the team. Some people want both which I don’t understand.
I also don’t understand the support he gets, especially with the media.
If the team starts winning consistently because of him, I’ll be happy, but also very surprised.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Kid might have a future; Image
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:29 pm Maybe, but he isn’t really a speedster. He is poor along the boards. He makes too many dumb passes. And he is weak defensively.
Until he proves otherwise, I don’t see much difference between him and Gagner.
And I don’t want either on the team. Some people want both which I don’t understand.
I also don’t understand the support he gets, especially with the media.
If the team starts winning consistently because of him, I’ll be happy, but also very surprised.
Goldenboy has his flaws. He does make some dumb passes sometimes, but he can make some beaut plays as well. He's kind of a high risk/high reward kind of guy right now. I think he's learning though to limit the risky plays and he seems to be working harder on the backcheck. He probably won't drape himself all over a guy like Beags/Rousell, but he's taking his man and usually has good body position.

Right now with Bearcheese out, Goldenboy is prob easily our best offensive LWer and I'm not even much of a fan of Bearcheese. The new guy Leivio is looking good, but it's still early. I like Granny, but I think he's better suited as a 2-way checking guy. Rousell is a good energy player/grinder. Schaller has yet to score a goal for us. Even Greener had to give up on his boy Lipstick. All our LW young guns look like they're a ways from being rdy (ie: Palmu, Gadjo, Dahlen, etc); none of them are making a case to be called up. That leaves the likes of Archiballz, Gauncer and Boucher and most fans can't really stand that trio. *LOL*
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Image Image

MORE,MORE, MORE!!

No pressure... :)
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sven Baertschi is on the ice for practice wearing a non-contact jersey.
Adam Gaudette is not taking part in practice today in Columbus.
Early, but would appear Goldobin stays with Bo and Virt.
Derek Dorsett sighting at Nationwide Arena today before the #Canucks practice.
New mask for Anders Nilsson at practice today. #Canucks

Same lines for the #Canucks in practice today in CBJ:

Goldobin-Horvat-Virtanen
Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
Roussel-Granlund-Eriksson
Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Pouliot-Stecher
Del Zotto-Biega

And that is all I've seen.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

micky107 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:35 am
Early, but would appear Goldobin stays with Jake and Virt.

Are Jake and Virt the same people?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:23 pm
micky107 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:35 am
Early, but would appear Goldobin stays with Jake and Virt.

Are Jake and Virt the same people?
oops, thanks
"evolution"