Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:32 am
Topper wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 am Experience with the concussion protocol last June after my son crashed and broke his helmet. Big thing is, you don't know what the effects will be. All you do is slowly, step wise increase brain activity as long as the patient is feeling better. At any point, if symptoms return, it is back to square one. The biggest issue is keeping the patient from doing too much as they begin to feel better.
Where I'm glad to hear Pettersson is feeling better everyday, bodes well for a return where he's 100% hopefully.

Travis Green has spoken:

http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-12623?smc=10
To add, you are looking at 10 days to complete the program, sooner than that and you are pushing it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I doubt theres going to be a suspension. I would guess a fine is where this one ends. Be prepared with the valium
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

He’s not wrong though. The kid is 165 soaking wet. He’s got thin little bird legs like the Dude. The difference is Dude has a huge shitbag so he’s far heavier. But back in the day when Anne Drennan used to toss the Dude around she’d pick him up by those chicken thighs like a wet rag.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Beagle out 6 weeks with broken forearm.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hopefully now that we’ve all had a chance to hear Green speak there is a better understanding of what did, and did not happen. The players didn’t really know what happened on the play until after the game. Yes they knew he was hurt but none of then clearly saw the play.

And Green said had it happened in the first or second then we’d be having a different discussion, the implication being players would have learned what happened in an intermission and the outcome would have been different. He also added that the days of a coach tapping a player on the shoulder to go out and get even are over. there is a time and a place. In a game, that a minute after the injury, you take the lead and don’t know the dynamics of the injury, is not the time nor place.

My take, no one reacted because they didn’t see the play. We took the lead. Players were focused on winning. HAD they seen the play I think there would have been a reaction.

I like Green’s response and I like his explanation. Even the ref came over after to apologize because he didn’t see it and had he he would have called a penalty. Time to move on and hope come Jan we have a controlled response. No more Bertuzzi incidents please.

Of course my biggest hope is Pettersson has a quick, full recovery.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Biega clears waivers, assigned to Utica.

Ivan Kulbakov has apparently been outstanding in net and is quickly climbing the goalie depth chart.

Practice lines saw Gaudette centering Goldobin and Ericksson, jumping right into Pettersson’s spot.

Granlund takes Beagles spot with Motte drawing taking Granlund’s wing position.

Benning confirms the earliest we could see Pettersson is Saturday against Boston when we return home. It of course depends upon his progress which he describes as good so far. Put me on the side that says please don’t rush him back.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Go Adam!!!!

Other than that, I wrapped a red rubber band around my finger to remind me not to keep posting about the incident that "supposedly", wasn't seen.
Adios.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:44 pm Hopefully now that we’ve all had a chance to hear Green speak there is a better understanding of what did, and did not happen. The players didn’t really know what happened on the play until after the game. Yes they knew he was hurt but none of then clearly saw the play.

And Green said had it happened in the first or second then we’d be having a different discussion, the implication being players would have learned what happened in an intermission and the outcome would have been different. He also added that the days of a coach tapping a player on the shoulder to go out and get even are over. there is a time and a place. In a game, that a minute after the injury, you take the lead and don’t know the dynamics of the injury, is not the time nor place.

My take, no one reacted because they didn’t see the play. We took the lead. Players were focused on winning. HAD they seen the play I think there would have been a reaction.

I like Green’s response and I like his explanation. Even the ref came over after to apologize because he didn’t see it and had he he would have called a penalty. Time to move on and hope come Jan we have a controlled response. No more Bertuzzi incidents please.

I understand we did not want to see a Moore/Bertuzzi incident but with all the technology they have at the bench they saw what happened prior to the whistle to start the game again. He did not have to tap someone on the shoulder to kill another guy but there could of been some push back against Matheson in the last 10 minutes. I have seen other teams do it but I guess finishing 28th instead of 29th then that is better with the 2 points. If this team had some recent history of sticking up for each other I would believe this more but I do not see anything different with Green at the helm vs. the past coaches.

We need to be honest, as per Doc's comments we need more assholes on the team.

I also liked someone's comments about having a guy who really pisses off the other team, hope JV can start being that guy.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Agree HW. For the most part I buy Green's explanation of the players' reaction and his statements about how the league works today.

He did, though, seem a bit evasive and even forgetful about the chronology, e.g. didn't remember whether he saw the incident on the iPad before or after the goal. He talked about being proud of the players keeping their composure, yet he also said most players didn't know what happened until the game was over. So what was there to keep your composure about, especially when you're already focused on holding a 1-goal lead in the 3rd?

I wish somoene had asked him whether Matheson's name was mentioned on the bench. Or, whether he had to explicitly tell the team not to go head-hunting.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cliff Ronning said it best.
This would not of happened with Gino Odjick on the bench *fist emoji*
Cliffy ftw.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 am
SKYO wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:32 am
Topper wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 am Experience with the concussion protocol last June after my son crashed and broke his helmet. Big thing is, you don't know what the effects will be. All you do is slowly, step wise increase brain activity as long as the patient is feeling better. At any point, if symptoms return, it is back to square one. The biggest issue is keeping the patient from doing too much as they begin to feel better.
Where I'm glad to hear Pettersson is feeling better everyday, bodes well for a return where he's 100% hopefully.

Travis Green has spoken:

http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-12623?smc=10
To add, you are looking at 10 days to complete the program, sooner than that and you are pushing it.
Yup, pretty strict protocol in place for concussions these days. It's a week for sure, even if symptoms are gone within a day.

Basically a week once all symptoms are gone before resuming physical activity. Like you said, once you add stressors if symptoms return back to no activity for a week.

Take it easy, give him time to recover. It's exciting to watch him play but we gotta be thinking big picture here.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

The Pettersson incident isn't getting the Canucks much respect is some quarters. Some find it amusing.

Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 radio, launched a contest Monday morning asking listeners to “name the finishing move Matheson used on Patterson".

The winning suggestion receives tickets to a 'Pizza Pigout' at the Cowboys Dance Hall in Calgary.

:scowl:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:44 pm Hopefully now that we’ve all had a chance to hear Green speak there is a better understanding of what did, and did not happen. The players didn’t really know what happened on the play until after the game. Yes they knew he was hurt but none of then clearly saw the play.

I don't think anybody is expecting another Bertuzzi-Moore incident, that was painful and not something any Canucks fan who experienced it would want to deal with again. I think most of us would have liked to see a glove in the face, a hard hit, a long discussion, a short discussion - anything! It's doesn't have to be a fight or trying to kill the guy. I don't buy Green's explanation for a minute, not hard for teammates to see what happened with an Ipad on the bench (all teams have them) and decide from there. Nobody is asking to take Matheson's head off, just a deterrent to players like him that this sort of thing won't be tolerated. As I said in a different post, don't be surprised when this happens again in the near future to Elias or another young player.

My beef with Green is he's so focused on systems and structure he doesn't let any emotion into the game - the best players play with heart and determination, and Green seems to be trying to coach that right out of his team. They really need to let the players play, I am certain Green said something to the team after this incident that told them not to do anything, which now leads us to this. It's odd given Green could be a total a$shole when he played, odd that he doesn't allow his team to do the same.

The next time this happens it's on Green.

Pettersson will be fine, he's a young kid and needs time to recover. Could be a week, could be a month, but he'll be back playing again soon.
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

sagebrush wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:11 pm The Pettersson incident isn't getting the Canucks much respect is some quarters. Some find it amusing.

Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 radio, launched a contest Monday morning asking listeners to “name the finishing move Matheson used on Patterson".

The winning suggestion receives tickets to a 'Pizza Pigout' at the Cowboys Dance Hall in Calgary.

Yeah this is retarded, along with some fans of the sports are actually playing the victimization shit.

Mathison's own statement was also bullshit. Just because he's not as dumb and fat as you it doesn't mean you can pull out your can opener + body slam move on another player.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

sagebrush wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:11 pm The Pettersson incident isn't getting the Canucks much respect is some quarters. Some find it amusing.

They're getting ripped pretty good for this one!

Really it basically mocks the league referring to it as a WWE move.

EP is quickly becoming a focal point, he hits the highlight reel every game. He's a 19 year old leading the Canucks in scoring by 3 points after 5 games!

The Canucks better protect him and the league better protect him, the kid is going to put butts in the seats and sell merchandise!