Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rikster
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by rikster »

micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:45 am I heard that generic interview with Horvat. Twice. Once right after the game and again today driving around.
I freakin hated it. No doubt he's fully invested in whatever this sickening, fairyland culture that's being implemented by Green.
If, and I say that because I don't know yet, Benning approves of this "turn the other cheek cause I'm not dead yet", style, then he's not capable
of BIG BOSS and should just concentrate on the scouting end of things.
Hockey is a contact sport. The way this team is coming across, they are a woman's lower region hair away from being described as kitty-kats.
Sure, hockey is evolving. It's always evolving but it's still based on certain principals. To take all the body contact, (violence), away, and
there's no more viable product to sell.
Does there need to be retribution at times? I say yes, and I'll take it one step more and say that it should be quick and succinct.
Do you treat a wound right away or let it fester?
THE CODE is very real. It isn't just some ancient phrase from the 60s.
In the long run, IMO, the longer something goes unanswered, the more somethings there's going to be.
All the way till everyone is laughing at you.
I get the "code" reaction, but the league took the code away and the majority of players today don't follow the code so it is what it is....

It's the leagues responsibility to enforce its "code" by way of suspension, and come the next CBA both the league and the players need to include language that makes these type of incidents rare...

And in the meantime, I prefer taking a stick to their star player rather than fighting a meatball like Matheson...

Take care...
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

rikster wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:37 am
micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:45 am I heard that generic interview with Horvat. Twice. Once right after the game and again today driving around.
I freakin hated it. No doubt he's fully invested in whatever this sickening, fairyland culture that's being implemented by Green.
If, and I say that because I don't know yet, Benning approves of this "turn the other cheek cause I'm not dead yet", style, then he's not capable
Hockey is a contact sport. The way this team is coming across, they are a woman's lower region hair away from being described as kitty-kats.
Sure, hockey is evolving. It's always evolving but it's still based on certain principals. To take all the body contact, (violence), away, and
Does there need to be retribution at times? I say yes, and I'll take it one step more and say that it should be quick and succinct.
In the long run, IMO, the longer something goes unanswered, the more somethings there's going to be.
I get the "code" reaction, but the league took the code away and the majority of players today don't follow the code so it is what it is....

It's the leagues responsibility to enforce its "code" by way of suspension, and come the next CBA both the league and the players need to include language that makes these type of incidents rare...

And in the meantime, I prefer taking a stick to their star player rather than fighting a meatball like Matheson...

Take care...
Agreed. Sometimes the league needs its hand forced. Problem is if it was a Canuck who forces its hand, no doubt the narrative goes back to blaming the avenger a-la Moore. Because it’s Vancouver. Still, wouldn’t shed a tear if someone like Virtanen had shredded Barkov’s knee ligaments. Like others have said, lotta NHLers only understand simple forms of deterrence.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:46 am Doc is going to be seething mad about these posts Dude
Haha I got the popcorn and the beer lined up.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:28 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:46 am Doc is going to be seething mad about these posts Dude
Haha I got the popcorn and the beer lined up.
His chief lieutenant just went against everything Doc has been preaching
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Lancer wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 am
rikster wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:37 am

Take care...
Agreed. Sometimes the league needs its hand forced. Problem is if it was a Canuck who forces its hand, no doubt the narrative goes back to blaming the avenger a-la Moore. Because it’s Vancouver. Still, wouldn’t shed a tear if someone like Virtanen had shredded Barkov’s knee ligaments. Like others have said, lotta NHLers only understand simple forms of deterrence.
So by this logic you would have been ok if someone on the Flames threw Pettersson to the ice WWW style as payback for Gudbranson’s shot on Dube.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

[/quote]

So by this logic you would have been ok if someone on the Flames threw Pettersson to the ice WWW style as payback for Gudbranson’s shot on Dube.
[/quote]

I was as angry as anyone when I saw the play. Raging in fact. Ask my cat, he still will not talk to me. But there was hockey game to win.

Pretend for a moment that someone from the Canucks did take time away from doing their job and pummeled Mathison. Thought about it? Are you happy? Did the pummeling make EP any less injured? Will the pummeling make EP recover any faster? The answer is no.

Taking cheap shots at players who are better than you is a systemic problem that the NHL has always had. The only way to eliminate it is to punitively punish the offenders. Usually by way of a hit to their pocket book. In fact I would personally look at imposing fines on refs for missing obvious calls. Like how the fuck do you not call at least a 2 minute penalty for body slamming someone?

The threat of violence as a retaliatory measure will never work, if for no other reason than the instigator cannot hurt their target in a sufficiently violent way to send the required message. I love the combat sports (just not the UFC really but that is another post). I watch Judo matches, I watch BJJ matches, I watch boxing. All of these involve 2 athletes who have tried to perfect their craft to the point where they can defeat someone else who has trained equally as hard. Contrasted with hockey, which is a bloody joke, It is not cerebral, it's not a science, it is two mouth breathers throwing hay makers at one another. It doesn't excite or entertain me. When a hockey fight starts I usually grab another beer or go take a leak.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The moment to do something has passed. It shouldve been done right away or on the next shift. That is the issue with the canucks.

Not planning a big deal 3 months from now
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Pettersson out 7-10 days minimum with a concussion.

I guess the flight lit up his noggin
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Carlyee wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 am
Pretend for a moment that someone from the Canucks did take time away from doing their job and pummeled Mathison. Thought about it? Are you happy? Did the pummeling make EP any less injured? Will the pummeling make EP recover any faster? The answer is no.

By this logic when EP returns will he continue to strut his stuff or will he become timid, scared that anyone can attempt to seriously hurt him because there is no one that will make that person pay?
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:47 am Pettersson out 7-10 days minimum with a concussion.

Think I was mad before?
What was it BTO said in the 70s. :twisted:
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:47 am Pettersson out 7-10 days minimum with a concussion.

Think I was mad before?
Take it like a man? Down down? Life still goes on?

Or...

Can we all come together?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:01 am
micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 am

Think I was mad before?
Take it like a man? Down down? Life still goes on?

Or...

Can we all come together?
MY, My; Old Mick aint that progressive.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Anyone hear coach Yellow's line-up for the Pens?
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Green looks like hes been bobbing for drumsticks in gillis's old kfc bucket
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

micky107 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:54 am
Carlyee wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 am

By this logic when EP returns will he continue to strut his stuff or will he become timid, scared that anyone can attempt to seriously hurt him because there is no one that will make that person pay?
I find the deterrent line of thinking not logical. The guys that make it to the NHL on blood and guts aren’t going to back down because Matheson took a beating for his cheap shot.

I don’t think that has ever worked. It just leads to penalties and short handed goals and being marked by the officials.

What seems to work is being proactive in the physical department. The skill guys play with skilll and the physical guys play physical. Our guys who can’t play the finesse game need to earn their spot on the roster by being such a pain in the ass that the other guys are too busy thinking about getting even to worry about our skill guys.

The greatest asshole this decade in that department seems to be Marchant. He’s forever getting away with blue murder because he starts the shit and turtles and gets everyone howling mad and he laughs his ass off.

We got a guy in Virtanen who seems to be an asshole in training. Let’s see him and a few others start rattling cages and take heat away from our skill.

Let’s have the other team whining to the league and talk about messages and moral victories for a change
Last edited by ukcanuck on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.