Draft Lottery Winner

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which team would you most hate to see win the draft lottery?

Arizona
No votes
Buffalo
3%
Chicago
10%
Detroit
No votes
Edmonton
79%
Montreal
No votes
NY Rangers
No votes
NY Islanders
No votes
Ottawa
No votes
Other
7%

Total votes: 29

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Draft Lottery Winner

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:34 pm Linden on record saying this could be a good year for the Canucks to trade down and still get who they want.

http://www.news1130.com/2018/04/27/draf ... r-canucks/
“Perhaps we move back, perhaps we move up,” Linden said.

If the Canucks win the lottery, they’re taking Dahlin. But if they move up to second or third – positions where the top-rated players are forwards – they could trade down for a defenceman.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

As for Tkachuk vs Juolevi pick, I don't see the Flames ripping it up, and Juolevi is coming onto the team exactly when the Canucks need a influx of quality dmen prospects.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 pm As for Tkachuk vs Juolevi pick, I don't see the Flames ripping it up, and Juolevi is coming onto the team exactly when the Canucks need a influx of quality dmen prospects.
The Flames poor season has little to do with Tkachuk. It was a mistake. I think Elmer would admit that..Either way Olaf needs to develop and be a top 4 guy at minimum. If he isn’t on the big club by mid season next year I’ll be a bit concerned.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:01 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 pm As for Tkachuk vs Juolevi pick, I don't see the Flames ripping it up, and Juolevi is coming onto the team exactly when the Canucks need a influx of quality dmen prospects.
The Flames poor season has little to do with Tkachuk. It was a mistake. I think Elmer would admit that..Either way Olaf needs to develop and be a top 4 guy at minimum. If he isn’t on the big club by mid season next year I’ll be a bit concerned.
Canucks drafted for need rather than taking the BPA. Son of Keith was clearly the BPA at 5 but the Canucks needed a Dman.

But IIRC, Tkachuk had a lot of mental lapses over his first few games, wonder if he would have lasted/developed the same playing under Willie D. Might have been asked to pack his stuff for Utica so the Megnas and Chaputs could get their ice time.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Tiger wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:56 am Pissed on by thr Hockey Gods again.... When will the curse be lifted :o
Yar, the hockey gods h8 us. That late surge killed the tank and the Sedins announcing their retirement didn't help as it got our guys jacked up to win those last few games for them. Maybe they should have announced their retirement earlier like in Dec b4 that big slump got out of control and just killed us. :?

Oh well, at least there looks to be some good D-man options available for us around 7th. Dahlin would would have been a god send for us, but those other D-men seem to be around the Juolevi type calibre. It's nice to have JB @ the helm during the draft. I'm sure he'd take back some of the picks he has made in the past, but overall drafting is his strength. Hopefully he can pick a great player @ 7th and find some more gems in the later rounds.

No luck with Trev, no luck with JB. Would have been sweet to send Fin to represent us @ the draft, but if the NHL will not allow it, it may be time for the Aqua-man to go next year. :P

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks- ... t-fin-2018
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What about sending Steve Fonyo to the draft lottery?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yup the team got 5 of 6 wins from March 22nd onwards, then 3 OT's after that - catapulting themselves out of the Dahlin sweepstakes, just like that.

That's not bad luck on the lotto, that's just math folks, team got it's most logical pick from the calculated odds after those wins/pts.

Also why when there's a generational player available at the draft, you'll see the ruthless American teams become tank gods - preparing a few years in advance for such a player, just like the Netflix show Suits...you make your own luck - ala the Penguins who have mastered this art form.

As for the Oilers they tanked at the worst time when there was no generational players available lol, till years later when they finally landed McDavid.

This offseason and next watch for those teams prepare for the Alexis Lafrenière 2020 draft.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

If you consider the Sedin factor, drafting Tkachuk would not have seen the same player sporting the stinky whale as we saw dressed in puke red.

Assholes have rarely thrived in our top-6 over the past decade. Exceptions to this have been Burrows and Kesler, both of whom were pricks and pests rather than assholes, and neither of them were stupid players.

There’s just something about this organization over the past 5-10 years that saw players like Tkachuk either get neutered or demoted and moved out.

That might be something that is going to change in the future starting this summer. However, I’m not overly convinced of that while Linden is in charge. He’s to classy.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mëds wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:49 pm If you consider the Sedin factor, drafting Tkachuk would not have seen the same player sporting the stinky whale as we saw dressed in puke red.

Assholes have rarely thrived in our top-6 over the past decade. Exceptions to this have been Burrows and Kesler, both of whom were pricks and pests rather than assholes, and neither of them were stupid players.

There’s just something about this organization over the past 5-10 years that saw players like Tkachuk either get neutered or demoted and moved out.

That might be something that is going to change in the future starting this summer. However, I’m not overly convinced of that while Linden is in charge. He’s to classy.
Maybe, who knows with what ifs. One can look @ it from the other side as well. A kid with some piss and vinegar, but has talent could play some good hockey with the Sedins as well (ie: Sedins + Kassian line). I could see Tkachuk playing well with BoHo also (London Knights connection). Imagine a line of Tkachuk-BoHo-Brockstar. :wow: During that draft, ppl toyed with a potential line of Tkachuk-BoHo-Jake. It would be an exciting line to watch. 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Flames season got noticeably worse with the acquisition of “stud” D-man - Hamonic. Why is that? The best defence in the world!!! Mike Smith, yet they stunk worst. How come
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:46 am
The Flames season got noticeably worse with the acquisition of “stud” D-man - Hamonic. Why is that? The best defence in the world!!! Mike Smith, yet they stunk worst. How come
Huh?

What does that have to do with drafting J over T?

Try to keep on topic, it helps.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Who said they had the best defence in the world?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:25 pm That's not bad luck on the lotto, that's just math folks, team got it's most logical pick from the calculated odds after those wins/pts.
The Devils, Flyers, and now Hurricanes say hi.

I'm done with tanking. I'd rather see them fight for the playoffs, and wind up with a miniscule shot at a top pick.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yep.:. Playoffs all the way. They only missed by 25 points
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:10 am I'd rather see them fight for the playoffs, and wind up with a miniscule shot at a top pick.
Is this not what they've been doing all along?