2018 Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:11 pm
The Sharks also scored 34 more goals than Vancouver and allowed 35 fewer. It’s a fair bit more than just Brent Burns propelling them ahead of the Canucks
lol no doubt. They are better in every measurable way. I don't think you can lay that at the feet of injuries and Brent Burns.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:11 pm
The Sharks also scored 34 more goals than Vancouver and allowed 35 fewer. It’s a fair bit more than just Brent Burns propelling them ahead of the Canucks
lol no doubt. They are better in every measurable way. I don't think you can lay that at the feet of injuries and Brent Burns.
The biggest and most important difference is they’ve had consistent drafting.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

In any case Benning/Linden should ask the owner to allow to hire more scouts for the Euro leagues and maybe a few more for the remote area's in Canada to find those Parayko's and to help find those Shea Weber's hidden behind the top prospects that the junior league coaches use, those are the types you can steal in the 2nd rounds, late 1st's.

Fascinating scouting stories how those types are found for their team to draft.

How Blues found Parayko: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/col ... pt-secret/
Last edited by SKYO on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Sharks were ranked recently (Hockey Writers)as having the 31st ranked prospect pool in the league, worst in the NHL. I wouldn't say that their drafting has been stellar.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:43 pm The biggest and most important difference is they’ve had consistent drafting.
Certainly from 2001-2008 , since then it hasn't shockingly better than Vancouver's (2012 was a great year for them, 2014 looks to be a great year for the Canucks).

I would say it's been their success capitalizing on their bigger trades (Thornton, Burns, Jones moving up to take Couture, looks like E.Kane thus far). They've clearly had some misses (Ehrhoff, Brian Campbell, Craig Rivet), but by and large they've come out ahead in their major swaps.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Ya, the Sharks added key player through the draft during the 8 year stretch that the canucks got nothing out of drafting.

I think the Sharks are a fascinating counterpoint to the canucks, but they're more like 2004/05 as the WCE Era was winding down, and Kesler and the Sedins were on the rise.

They are the 5th oldest team, and getting older, while the Canucks are set to be one of the youngest next season. Maybe the Sharks can avoid going into the tank with their pipeline, but there model (like Boston's) has been to have a prospect turn into a top player every other year.

It doesn't take much more than that, and had the Canucks turned picks into prospects at that rate from 2007-2013, we probably wouldn't be in this mess.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Sharks could be quite a bit younger next season depending on what they do with 39 year old Jumbo and if they can find a taker for 37 year old Paul Martin who has one year left. I don’t see them bringing back 37 year old Joel Ward or 32 year old Jannik Hansen
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:36 pm 2014 looks to be a great year for the Canucks
If Demko turns out to be one of the most dominant goalies of his generation, I guess; otherwise, it looks more to me like a year of missed opportunities.

(Passed on Larkin, passed twice on Pastrnak, Tryamkin and Forsling not with the organization. Or is one of the other draft picks showing great promise that I haven't heard about ?)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:06 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:36 pm 2014 looks to be a great year for the Canucks
If Demko turns out to be one of the most dominant goalies of his generation, I guess; otherwise, it looks more to me like a year of missed opportunities.

(Passed on Larkin, passed twice on Pastrnak, Tryamkin and Forsling not with the organization. Or is one of the other draft picks showing great promise that I haven't heard about ?)
My point was that the Canucks did well drafting quality players that day, to get what might be 5 NHL-calibre players (assuming Demko has an NHL-career) in one draft is an extremely successful draft.

I don't disagree that they could have picked better players, or not traded them away, or treated them better so they actually stick around.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Let's hold off on calling McCann and Forsling "quality NHL'ers" for a bit. There is still a very good chance that the Canucks still have the top 3 of those 5 still in their possession - Virtanen, Demko and Tryamkin. From what I saw of Tryamkin he was well in his way as being the best of the 5. Blackhawks have a horrid defence yet Forsling finished the year down on the farm?

Regardless, great drafting by Jimbro eh Ruffles?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:06 am

My point was that the Canucks did well drafting quality players that day, to get what might be 5 NHL-calibre players (assuming Demko has an NHL-career) in one draft is an extremely successful draft.

I don't disagree that they could have picked better players, or not traded them away, or treated them better so they actually stick around.
You look back on every draft you'll be hard pressed finding a team that couldn't have drafted better players somewhere along the line. It's a crap shoot. Trent Klatt who is scouting for the Islanders said "you're trying to figure out which 18 year old will be a good player when they are 25".
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It is a crap shoot. Problem is you gotta short the craps with a shotgun not a derringer
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:46 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:05 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:41 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:30 pm There isn’t another team in the league where they would get top 4 ice time
:crazy:

We've already had this debate about Guds and you conceded he received top 4 minutes in Florida.
Gudbranson has played too 4 minutes in two of seven seasons. Once in five years in Florida and once here.
You expected him to be a Top 4 dman when he was 21 years old? :crazy:

As I've already told you, he has been putting up Top 4 minutes since he turned 22 (mid 2014-15 season).

As usual, you had no reply...

Strangelove wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:41 pm MDZ received top 4 minutes for 3 season in Philly and another 3 seasons in New York.
Del Zaster is fine on the third pair and on Philly their D was a mess when he got big minutes. He went steadily downhill after starting out strong as a young guy inNY. So big deal they can get top 4 minutes on a team or two with horrendous back ends. Doesn’t make them legit top 4 guys, certainly not on a decent team.
Philly averaged 90 points over those 3 seasons, making the playoffs once.

The year they made the playoffs (2015-16) he was #1 on the team in icetime at 23:14 mins per (the year before he was #2 at 21:55).

In 2011-12 the Rangers had 109 points and made it to the conference finals... MDZ was 3rd in icetime at 22:26.

In 2012-13 Rags had a 98-point pace in the shortened season, made it to the semifinals... MDZ was 4th in icetime at 23:10.

"Not a legit top 4 guy on a decent team" :lol:

MDZ has been a Top 4 dman for 6 of the last 7 seasons, on 3 different teams and GMJB got him at $3M per! :thumbs:

Strangelove wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:41 pm Ahhh but this team doesn't have "the leagues worst defence" (no matter how many times you say it).

I've asked you twice now to rebut my post on this, but you prefer your blindfold and endless repetitions...
It is the leagues worst D. End of story
Right. No debate is necessary because Blob has made up his mind! :lol:
Lol
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:26 pm Lol
Yes, but have I called MDZ a top 4 LATELY?!! :mrgreen:

He can fill in nicely as a top 4 as long as they don't saddle him with folks like Stecher and Pouliot.

Those pairings were brutal.

#4s have to have their #3s or fuggedaboutit.

The dmen who murdered us last year were Hutton, Pouliot, Stecher...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

And Tanev & Guds for skippin out in the park so much.
"evolution"