2018 Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I think Kane has found a home in San Jose. The West coast, short flight to Vancouver, better weather, out of the spotlight. The Sharks have the money, they will over pay him.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

The Dude is correct.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:11 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:59 pm You're advocating signing E.Kane, who didn't exactly propel the Sabres to new heights. He just played his first playoff game (like the Jets, he did very well).
Jack Eichel also hasn't propelled the Sabres to new heights (in year 7 of their rebuild), but I'd still take himb on my team

I wouldn't take Byfuglien (Cup-winner, and 7-year playoff drought as well), but I would take Patrick Laine.

I see E Kane as a complimentary piece, not a cornerstone, but I also see him as potentially a guy who'll bleed blue and green playing for his hometown team, which I definitely want more of on this team.
In the regular season Kane would be a regular contributor but probably not a guy whose absence results in missing the playoffs. So maybe he’s not core, but we’re basing that on assumptions regarding his off-ice antics and attitude.

In the playoffs Kane is a guy who could be the difference between winning and losing a series. Even his regular season play screams he’s built for the playoffs.

If Benning and Co think that Pettersson is going to be a centerman for Vancouver, then throw the money at Kane.

Virtanen - Horvat - Boeser
Kane - Petterssson - Lind

If the 5 younger guys hit their potential, that’s a Cup winning top 6.....and it’s probably fairly interchangeable.
RD wrote: I think Kane has found a home in San Jose. The West coast, short flight to Vancouver, better weather, out of the spotlight. The Sharks have the money, they will over pay him.
Unfortunately that is the most likely scenario. I hope they drop the ball and don’t come to terms before July 1 though.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:20 am I think Kane has found a home in San Jose. The West coast, short flight to Vancouver, better weather, out of the spotlight. The Sharks have the money, they will over pay him.
Yep. Also a better team with a window to win while he's in the prime of his career.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:22 am
Yep. Also a better team with a window to win while he's in the prime of his career.
It's weird, the sharks had pretty much the same output from their forwards as the canucks, they had almost the lowest offense of any playoff team and mediocre goaltending, but thanks to almost no injuries and Brent Burns they're in the playoffs.

But I agree, he's a better fit for San Jose, if that's what he wants.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

If Kane continues playing well and SJ does well in the playoffs, I don't see why they wouldn't do everything to keep him.

If that happens, he will also have his share of suitors and I'd say he will get his money and get to pick a better winning situation. Maybe Kane will consider Van's offer but I just don't see him wanting to come home at this stage.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

San Jose should have a fair bit of cap if they let Jumbo go.

Tavares and Kane to San Jose ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:16 am
ESQ wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:11 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:59 pm You're advocating signing E.Kane, who didn't exactly propel the Sabres to new heights. He just played his first playoff game (like the Jets, he did very well).
Jack Eichel also hasn't propelled the Sabres to new heights (in year 7 of their rebuild), but I'd still take himb on my team

I wouldn't take Byfuglien (Cup-winner, and 7-year playoff drought as well), but I would take Patrick Laine.

I see E Kane as a complimentary piece, not a cornerstone, but I also see him as potentially a guy who'll bleed blue and green playing for his hometown team, which I definitely want more of on this team.
In the regular season Kane would be a regular contributor but probably not a guy whose absence results in missing the playoffs. So maybe he’s not core, but we’re basing that on assumptions regarding his off-ice antics and attitude.

In the playoffs Kane is a guy who could be the difference between winning and losing a series. Even his regular season play screams he’s built for the playoffs.

If Benning and Co think that Pettersson is going to be a centerman for Vancouver, then throw the money at Kane.

If the 5 younger guys hit their potential, that’s a Cup winning top 6.....and it’s probably fairly interchangeable.

RD wrote: I think Kane has found a home in San Jose. The West coast, short flight to Vancouver, better weather, out of the spotlight. The Sharks have the money, they will over pay him.
Unfortunately that is the most likely scenario. I hope they drop the ball and don’t come to terms before July 1 though.
+1, Totally awesome lines. It might not make sense to all posters but it sure as hell would go a long way in putting back some
arses in our building. That is becoming a bit of an issue, left unattended. ;)
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:47 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:22 am
It's weird, the sharks had pretty much the same output from their forwards as the canucks, they had almost the lowest offense of any playoff team and mediocre goaltending, but thanks to almost no injuries and Brent Burns they're in the playoffs.

But I agree, he's a better fit for San Jose, if that's what he wants.
The Sharks also scored 34 more goals than Vancouver and allowed 35 fewer. It’s a fair bit more than just Brent Burns propelling them ahead of the Canucks
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mëds wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:16 am If Benning and Co think that Pettersson is going to be a centerman for Vancouver, then throw the money at Kane.

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 pm San Jose should have a fair bit of cap if they let Jumbo go.

Tavares and Kane to San Jose ?
Tavares and Kane to VanCity!!!

Kane - Tavares - Boeser
Petersson - Horvat - Dahlen/Baertschi/Goldy
Gadjovich - Gaudette - Lind

^ That's could be one hell of a top 9
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'm with you on that one. Just imagine...

There have been good teams over the years with sketch defense that were superpowers.... Maybe we can be one of those. Think 2-peating Pittsburg
If you need air...call it in
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:12 pm I'm with you on that one. Just imagine...

There have been good teams over the years with sketch defense that were superpowers.... Maybe we can be one of those. Think 2-peating Pittsburg
Imagine that top 9 with a 2018 NHL lottery win.

I may have just creamed myself.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

IF spending big cash on a free agent it's either for a center or a top pairing scoring dman, otherwise spend cheap on wingers..thus! I'm chilling on the EKane target for now, go short term 3yrs with smaller cap on a player like Maroon.

Best teams are built via the draft and deft trades, so move out a few vets for picks/prospects plus hockey deals where the team acquires a top 6 big gritty wingers and some defense help, as the defense needs a 50% overhaul.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Willie is not really gone till Jarvis is!
Then the D will thrive.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:39 pm IF spending big cash on a free agent it's either for a center or a top pairing scoring dman, otherwise spend cheap on wingers..thus! I'm chilling on the EKane target for now, go short term 3yrs with smaller cap on a player like Maroon.

Best teams are built via the draft and deft trades, so move out a few vets for picks/prospects plus hockey deals where the team acquires a top 6 big gritty wingers and some defense help, as the defense needs a 50% overhaul.
Say no to Fat Balloon