So long, farewell, good bye to the Sedins

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: So long, farewell, good bye to the Sedins

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:39 am
Topper wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:49 pm
Hank wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:04 pm Didn't they unofficially retire, then un-retire, then retire #11?

All things are possible...
11, 28, 37, nothing official, but no one is getting those numbers
So what about Rick Blights # 8 ?
Your hospital bed hero holds that #
Last edited by Topper on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

dbr wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:37 am I'm not all that old, but there is a very good possibility that I'll never see another player give as much on the ice to this team (or its fans) as either Sedin has.

Obviously their on ice accomplishments speak for themselves but I can't think of anyone that's ever offered anything but praise for their work and influence off the ice. I guess it's not cool to say anymore but we used to talk about how people like Mike Gillis or Mats Sundin brought a certain culture and expectation to this franchise, and while that might have been true the Sedins embodied it before and after them and any other manager or player in the last twenty years.

The professionalism and sportsmanship they embodied will be sorely missed, and while it didn't overlap with the kind of character many expect from successful (finesse) hockey players, in real a way it's been nicer to cheer for them than for surly hissy fit throwers like Jonathan Toews or Sidney Crosby.

On a personal note, for me this is the end of an era where the team (and the league, largely) has players that I have looked up to. I was well into my 20s by the time Alex Edler - now the oldest Canuck that I will acknowledge here - broke into the league full time. Any success this team has in the future will be earned by players who are, in my eyes, a bunch of friggin children.

Anyway, I hope we'll still see Daniel and Henrik around from time to time. It was a privilege to watch them casually terrorize opposing teams below the dots for so many years.
Good post dbr.

I see Horvat being professional and the kind of guy we want to lead the team.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:52 am
Hank wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:04 pm Didn't they unofficially retire, then un-retire, then retire #11?

Point was Blight blew his brains out, so why wasn’t that retired ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:00 pm
Topper wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:52 am

Point was Blight blew his brains out, so why wasn’t that retired ?
Maybe that's why they gave it to Tanev

Always hope

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

A great performance by the twins last night.

1 more game to see their magic.
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

After hearing the news of their retirement, I made it a point to watch these last 3 games start to finish. We will not see the likes of these wonderful players ever again, I want to soak it all in and file it in my memory bank forever.

What I saw these last 2 games fill me with hope.

Yes, all the faults and flaws are still there; young guys making dumb mistakes, defense is still sorely lacking, and goaltending has more to be desired. However, the way the team elevated their game to match the occasion signals that better days are ahead. Jake made his best impression of Bert, Bo working his butt off to start both comebacks, Edler turning back the clock (offensively), and Goldy strutting his offensive flair.

All this because the boys want to honor the two legends they were so fortunate to play with, to learn from. They have been inspired to be better, to live up to their legacy.

What more can be said about last night's game? The Sedins, ever the true professionals, left it all on the ice. We were treated to a performance of the ages.

I was fortunate enough to write on the fan mural before the game started. I wrote:

"You gave us your all,
We love you for it,
And you love us back.
Thank you for the amazing last 18 years!"

Daniel and Henrik, we do not deserve you. Yet, you selflessly gave all you have to give to Canucks fans, the city of Vancouver, and the NHL. All without complaint and with great humility.

Thank you.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The Sedins couldn't drag this group into the playoffs this year, but they were able to give the kids a couple of "playoff like" games in terms of atmosphere and making everyone step up their game.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Two hockey players who were financially rewarded well for their talent and services.

Once it became known to management that this would be the end, the focus should have been purely on the future.

I moved on when the news broke on Monday.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:45 pm Two hockey players who were financially rewarded well for their talent and services.

Once it became known to management that this would be the end, the focus should have been purely on the future.

I moved on an Monday.
Are you saying you would have made them healthy scratches?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:00 pm
Topper wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:45 pm Two hockey players who were financially rewarded well for their talent and services.

I moved on an Monday.
If that was in the best interest of the youngster's development, yes. Same with TDD activity, find a home for one or the other and move on.

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I moved on when the news broke on Monday.
Sure GOM.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Topper wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:21 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:00 pm

I moved on an Monday.
If that was in the best interest of the youngster's development, yes. Same with TDD activity, find a home for one or the other and move on.
wow. This is quite possibly the most RETARDED comment that ever dribbled off your keyboard. opposed to an AK 47 and a tall tower, you should be looking for a good tall bridge or something to fling yourself off from.

I truly hope this was just a comment to inflame the board and give you something to Troll about.

your way of doing things would tell every other hockey player that this franchise didn't give a rats fuzzy ass about anything players have done for a team or a city. It would not entice players to sign here in free agency, and it would encourage players to ask for trades far more often as they would owe us nothing. Hometown resigning discounts would be gone as well.

In DEVELOPMENT terms, having your young players get a taste of the atmosphere and seeing how true professionals conduct themselves is priceless.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Raised on the Habs dynasties where ridding the team of vets long before they became over the hill for picks and prospects was a way of life.

Players are drawn to winners. Do you really want players drawn to warm and fuzzy country clubs?

Do you?

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Then this won't go over well either, I guess.
(No disrespect intended!) I mean that.

But it's my belief that in moving on, Vancouver has now become a more attractive place to come, and, at maybe a little less money.
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 pm Raised on the Habs dynasties where ridding the team of vets long before they became over the hill for picks and prospects was a way of life.

Players are drawn to winners. Do you really want players drawn to warm and fuzzy country clubs?

Do you?
Did they have NTCs back then?

So you would rather have benched the twins and not given the kids the opportunity to play in games with a great atmosphere? The pressure was there and they stepped up. If you were coaching and sat them, it would have been 3 meaningless games to ride out the season. Don't understand your logic.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."